Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
2012 Gen. 3.8 Track w/ZF
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As of about 30 minutes ago, I cannot lock or unlock the passenger door from my fob. I cannot unlock it with either inside or outside door lock buttons. I must pull the inside handle to open the door. I will correct this and say that I can lock it from the fob and the door lock buttons on the inside of the door. When I lock the door from the fob and the door lock button it makes a hideous squealing noise almost like a cable unwinding. The window opens and closes OK so it's all in the lock assembly. Any ideas? The car has 139,650 miles on it and it worked fine this morning. Now...not! I checked Red Raspberry's post and changed the 10amp door lock fuse, but that does not help. The whole thing sounds like a gear wheel has teeth missing on the RH door lock when locking it. I can open the door from inside by overriding the lock and just opening the inside handle. When it gets locked back that's when I get the loud noise.

·
Premium Member
16,470 Posts
Isn't the the lock electrics just a solenoid/actuator?
I didn't see anything that would indicate a motor in the door, besides the window motor, when i was in my door recently.

If its making noise then it could be a plastic catch broke, that holds the metal actuator rod in place.

Only way to tell is to open it up. Youtube genesis coupe window removal.
You'll only need the steps to get in, to see whats broken.

·
Registered
2014 Hoondai 🏎️💨 GC 2.0T FBO+SFR
168 Posts
The noise is a little suspicious to me but it seems like you got a bad door lock actuator. There is not much science into doors. But like AKGC said open the door up and see what you got inside.

·
2012 Gen. 3.8 Track w/ZF
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. I found the problem and will be replacing the actuator later in the week after I get my motor mounts replaced. I can still lock and unlock the door even though everyone around me in a parking lot looks at me when I lock my doors! LOL!

·
2012 Gen. 3.8 Track w/ZF
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: Yesterday I took the door apart. No troubles getting the door panel off, but the metal plate inside was a problem. I took all the 10mm bolts out of it, but the plate would not turn loose of the door. I watched the videos on it but the guy who was doing his door was in the way of the camera and I could not see what he did to keep the window up, and there were two rather large bolts near the bottom of the plate, and I was afraid if i took those out, it might mess with the window tracks. I have a new door lock actuator and I would have to get that metal plate off to replace it. Problem is I cannot get at it! Help!!!

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,989 Posts
The tracks are not very adjustable as it's all part of the metal insert. I took the glass out first. Two bolts.

While you are there look at the rubber stops for the pins on the bottom to see if they are disintegrating. If so 3 fat orings will work or gob of clear gorilla glue.

·
2012 Gen. 3.8 Track w/ZF
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. i'll check it out.
The tracks are not very adjustable as it's all part of the metal insert. I took the glass out first. Two bolts.

While you are there look at the rubber stops for the pins on the bottom to see if they are disintegrating. If so 3 fat orings will work or gob of clear gorilla glue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts