Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
13' 2.0T Base. Long story short, sometimes it turns on, sometimes it doesn't. If I hit the unlock button once on my remote, both lights turn on okay. If I start the car after hitting the unlock button once and turn the car on, the lights work fine. If I hit the unlock button twice, both lights turn off (I understand that's how it was designed to work), but when I turn the car on only the drivers side HID turns on. I tested this 5 times, did the same every single time.

I've had some people tell me it's a ballast problem, others told me it was a wiring problem. I was also told I can check if it's a ballast problem by switching the ballasts on each side and seeing if the same thing happened on the other side, but I don't know much about taking apart cars and wanted to ask on here before I paid to get some more work done on it.

Genuine (supposedly) Philips HID Kit 6000K.

·
FS section ravager
2,183 Posts
You don't have the realy harness do you?

The 13s need the relay harness.

·
Womp Womp
342 Posts
13' 2.0T Base. Long story short, sometimes it turns on, sometimes it doesn't. If I hit the unlock button once on my remote, both lights turn on okay. If I start the car after hitting the unlock button once and turn the car on, the lights work fine. If I hit the unlock button twice, both lights turn off (I understand that's how it was designed to work), but when I turn the car on only the drivers side HID turns on. I tested this 5 times, did the same every single time.

I've had some people tell me it's a ballast problem, others told me it was a wiring problem. I was also told I can check if it's a ballast problem by switching the ballasts on each side and seeing if the same thing happened on the other side, but I don't know much about taking apart cars and wanted to ask on here before I paid to get some more work done on it.

Genuine (supposedly) Philips HID Kit 6000K.
You need a relay harness on '13s.

Resistors would be something to fix hyperblink on LED turn signals/switchbacks due to the voltage being so low on the LEDs the car thinks the bulb is out. For the HIDs, you need a relay harness to pull power directly from the battery...simple fix.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It has the relay harness on both sides. Driver side works perfect every time, it's just the passenger side that is spotty.

·
FS section ravager
2,183 Posts
It has the relay harness on both sides. Driver side works perfect every time, it's just the passenger side that is spotty.
If its acting spotty try swapping the bulbs and see what happens, then swap the ballasts.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Figured out the problem, just needed a capacitor hah.

·
FS section ravager
2,183 Posts
What do you mean by capacitor? I am having the same problem. Where did you get the capacitor and where did you put it?

Thanks!
Do you have the relay harness installed?

·
www.diodedynamics.com
3,493 Posts
Are you sure about this? Do you have a dual relay setup or something?

The warning cancellers may have fixed your problem (thanks for that) but they're more of a band-aid because they are just preventing short losses of power. A relay will fix the problem by directing power straight from your battery. If it's working though, you'll be fine... just for the next person reading this.

Relays are needed for the 2013 thanks to Hyundai's amazing wiring harness.

Paul

·
FS section ravager
2,183 Posts
Are you sure about this? Do you have a dual relay setup or something?

The warning cancellers may have fixed your problem (thanks for that) but they're more of a band-aid because they are just preventing short losses of power. A relay will fix the problem by directing power straight from your battery. If it's working though, you'll be fine... just for the next person reading this.

Relays are needed for the 2013 thanks to Hyundai's amazing wiring harness.

Paul
I missed that and assumed Op had a relay for Highs and Lows.

OP if you have a relay for each, that's the issue.

You should have one harness.

·
www.diodedynamics.com
3,493 Posts
You can get dual relay setups (one relay for driver side, one relay for passenger side) but I find them a bit too much, and not really worth it. Relay Harnesses from The Retrofit Source Inc

I don't think the OP is using any relay right now. Also after re-reading, to the OP, there is no Philips 6000K kit, it is a knockoff.

Paul

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have low beam hid and fog light hid both 35w and they both have relay harness but recently my fogs wont even turn on, what can be the prob?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was gonna get a DD low beam kit but this Philips kit was given to me haha. To be honest I don't know much about the inner workings of cars and did not install this myself. If a dual relay setup is uncommon there's probably only one relay installed on there. But, I know for sure that after the warning cancellors were installed in solved the problem. If I run into more problems with my lows later I'll probably be buying a DD low beam kit.

·
2013 black 6 speed 2.0t
236 Posts
My passenger side has been a problem from day one. It doesn't have the same amount of power or something. I have swapped two relay harnesses 3 pairs of ballast and 3 sets of bulbs. The passenger side will not output as bright as the driver side. Like 30% less. And I can swap the light and ballast to the drivers side and it works perfectly. I have the relay harness grounded to the body but I have tried it directly to battery ground just to see if that was the problem but it's not. So next step I'll try to see if I can read the output at the factory connector and compare both sides. But I'm not sure which wire is the headlight power.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts