Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Regular User
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I kind of found this out by accident. I didn't really set out to make it work but I guess this is what happens when you're stuck in your car waiting for something.

I had been using my USB port to charge my Samsung Galaxy (Vibrant) until I got a new car charger and it was working fine. Only this time I realized my phone was going through the plugged-into-a-computer routine where it asks what I want to do with the USB. I had to select Mass Storage pull down the Notification Tray and hit Select to copy files to/from your computer, then select Mount and the stereo started playing files from my internal memory where I have a ****load of Amazon MP3 files. They sound GREAT by the way, better than XM or CD's.

I had to do this procedure really fast though because the phone and stereo computer weren't jiving perfectly, in fact it took me three tries to realize it would have to be done quickly but it cool! Just thought I would share, and if it's been covered disregard.

·
Registered
88 Posts
anyone know if this works with a samsung intercept? i have a bunch of MP3's on a microSD card and it would be awesome if i could charge my phone but still listen to music (currently using USB thumb drive)

·
Regular User
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some people will probably say it's not worth frying your phone or your stereo but I really don't think that will happen. That said, I do want to say be careful just so no one can say I told them to do it because it would be ok. ...yeah, I'm the prick saying try it at your own risk.

That said if it's flash based memory I see no reason why it wouldn't, short of the phone just not cooperating with the stereo. And to answer your question I couldn't get my SD card to work as of yet. Only the internal memory works as far as I know.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Any android device can mount to a usb port as a "mass storage" device.

iPhones and BlackBerries cannot (you need an app).

·
Car newb
2,239 Posts
This is like 3 year old news. :/ That USB port isn't there to charge your phones (in fact, it doesn't even charge some phones), it's there to play music on anything that can act as a mass storage device such as phones, hard drives, thumb drives, etc.

The reason why you didn't get that pop up before is because you were using a charge/power-only USB to micro-USB cable. There's that type, and then there's the data cables which can, well, transfer data.

·
Premium Member
16,005 Posts
yes it is, but some phones won't charge because it has a data connection. Some "players" are programed to not charge if there is a data connection but no communication.

AND you will not short out a phone just by using the usb port to charge it.

IF you use a 4 pole aux cable AND plug in the usb to charge, you will potentially short out something on the phone... like I have on my iphone when I was trying to get internet radio streaming onto the stereo. It only shorted out the DAC on the phone, so my headphone jack wouldn't work.

·
Car newb
2,239 Posts
I'm pretty sure it was put there for music first, hence why it's right next to the audio jack, lol. The fact that USB ports supply power is just a bonus.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts