Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

Plasti Dip Rims - Copper Metalizer on stock rims

7K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  TxGen14 
#1 ·
Hi, everyone. I've been reading posts on the forum but I just registered and this is my first post. I'm sure some of you have seen pictures of Plasti Dipped rims with before and after photos but I thought I’ll do something new and post images of each layer I put. I am not good at spray painting but it came out better than I had expected.

I used 4 cans of Copper Metalizer Plasti Dip, 4 trash bags, TSP all-purpose cleaner and microfiber cloth. I didn't use the index card or the Glossifier cans on the photo. I have seen index cards used to prevent overspray on the tires but they didn't fit between the rim and tire so I didn't use them.

Step 1 - Clean the rims. You can use alcohol but I used TSP All-Purpose cleaner because I had it in my garage. Clean the rims real good using microfiber cloth.

Step 2 - Protect behind the rims. I cut a standard kitchen trash bag so it’s becomes one long sheet.

Step 3 - Wear protective mask and spray away. I did total of 5 layers of Copper Metalizer Plasti Dip. No base color, just straight on top of stock rims. I applied first 3 layers thin and heavier on the 4th and 5th layer. Gave 15-20 minutes to dry between each layer.

Step 4 - After you finish spraying the final layer, wait 20 min. to dry, then peel the overspray on the tires and the Hyundai logo. Overspray came off easy without pulling any paint off the rims. If you plan to take the trash bag out at this time, be very careful not to touch the edge of the rims so you don’t peel off the fresh paint.

NOTE: The final result looks like copper but I originally wanted a hint of orange tint. What I found out as I was taking lots of pictures is that the sunlight and flash from the camera makes the copper look a little more orange. When the sun hits or I use flash to take pictures it looks more orange. Both colors look nice and I am happy with the result.

This one was taken outside in the shade.

See less See more
#3 ·
Looks great! One of the first things I did after buying my car was dip the wheels, I went with black the first time and tried blue this year to match my halos. It's a great way to change things up if you can't afford aftermarket wheels.

#5 ·
Your fingers.

#6 ·
Wheres the pic?

#13 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.