Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 V6 it has 167,000 miles on it and recently when I’m at a stop in first gear I’ll start to accelerate and the power just cuts out completely I’ll try to take it out of first gear and then put it back in and it starts accelerate and it’ll do it again I’ll even try to switch to second gear and start to accelerate and it still does it I have to slowly accelerate to try to get up to speed causing huge traffic behind me I’m scared to make a U-turn because what if I’m trying to turn and the power just cuts out and I get hit by another car please help I don’t understand what to do

·
Registered
28 Posts
Can't say it's the same thing, but...
Mine seemed to die on my a few years back jumping from the bank parking lot to the right hand turn lane 3 lanes away. I got me over and was idling normally. There was a break in the traffic and I tried to do a "right turn on red" and the car barely moved. It might have done about 10 mph (or less) down the lane till I got to the next right turn and pulled into a parking lot.

Got out the book, called for a tow (still under warranty). Roll back showed up winched the car onto the bed and I rode down to the dealership in the cab of the roll back.

Took them all of about 15 minutes to "fix it". The guy came out, told me it was a known problem with the 2011's (mines a Trak) and they just had to reflash the computer with the updated program. I was pissed.

"A well known problem." And they wait till my car croaks in heavy traffic in the middle of the day to do the 15 minute reflash job. What if I'd been at a rest stop off the interstate in the middle of no where at 0300 hrs? The guy just looked at me oddly when I said that and didn't answer that question.

I asked, if it was a well known problem why they didn't just do a recall. I was told it wasn't a serious safety issue and they (corporate) decided to just wait till it happened and then take care of the problem.

Another nail in the coffin of no more Hyundai cars in my family.

Could that be your issue? I don't know. Call a dealer and find out.

·
Premium Member
15,910 Posts
clean your throttle body... supposedly is the fix.
I haven't seem any correlation because the throttle body and the acceleration issue.

I've had this issue happen to me once many years ago.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Another nail in the coffin of no more Hyundai cars in my family.
...or any cars from any other manufacturer. This sounds like it was an issue that was covered by a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB), something that's extremely common with all auto makers. Recalls only happen when there are enough reports of serious safety defects. Yes, I agree that your situation would be considered under that category, but presumably it hasn't happen often enough to get the attention of the NHTSA. So it becomes something that's done when a customer brings in a car with that complaint. At some point in the future it may escalate to a recall, but most TSB's never get that far.

·
Registered
358 Posts
plus one for cleaning the throttle body. It can be done in the car.
1. It's either dirty or going bad. (Unlikely but possibly)
2. Idle air control sensor going bad.
3. Possibly lose connections if maybe you just done a little work to the engine area.
Any codes? Even if your engine light isn't on still scan it. Some codes won't trigger the SES light.

·
2012 Gen. 3.8 Track w/ZF
811 Posts
I always drive in town with my traction control off. The BK1s have a very sensitive cut-out setting and it can be dangerous in certain situations, so I drive with it off!

Reactions: lvdukerider

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys I have a 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 V6 it has 167,000 miles on it and recently when I’m at a stop in first gear I’ll start to accelerate and the power just cuts out completely I’ll try to take it out of first gear and then put it back in and it starts accelerate and it’ll do it again I’ll even try to switch to second gear and start to accelerate and it still does it I have to slowly accelerate to try to get up to speed causing huge traffic behind me I’m scared to make a U-turn because what if I’m trying to turn and the power just cuts out and I get hit by another car please help I don’t understand what to do
Check throttle

·
Registered
4 Posts
As i told you yesterday my dealer clean throttle and clear engine light by computer system and the car is ok now

1 - 9 of 9 Posts