·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
cant get these three sensors to be in the ready status for emissions
Catalyst monitor
O2 sensor monitor
O2 sensor heater monitor

I've ran the drive cycle atleast 10 times with no success same 3 sensors not ready
I have about a month left on my enlistment left and I need to pass so I can drive cross country back home
thanks

·
Korean Asswhoopin
1,228 Posts
Probably a bad 02 sensor heater, if it can't heat up on it's own then nothing else will work properly as far as catalyst monitoring goes. Any CEL?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No cel
and I've changed out both O2 sensors and checked the circuits and fuses with a multimeter with no issues.

·
Korean Asswhoopin
1,228 Posts
Go to the dealer and have them run the short tests to force readiness. Quickest solution

·
Korean Asswhoopin
1,228 Posts
It's an individual test for a component. EVAP system, misfire detection, 02 sensor heater, catalyst efficiency. etc.. The GDS scanner at the dealer can run through these pretty easily without having to drive.

·
Parts Pro & Lic Mechanic
1,297 Posts
o2 sensor heater test must be done on a cold engine, at a cold start up.........this test usually runs within the first few minutes after the monitors have been reset.

o2 sensor test will be done at highway speeds under light load, and a long decel with the engine at operating temperature.

Catalyst monitor is more tricky as that one can take days to run, but generally requires a heavy acceleration (over 50% throttle) to highway speeds and a steady cruise over 50mph for 10 minutes, with an engine at operating temperature.

These are general test conditions...............

Is the check engine light on????????..............something is weird as one of the most basic and immediate tests hasn't run yet. If the light is on for an o2 sensor code, none of these monitors will ever run, as they are dependent on one another.

Just my 2 cents
Duro

·
Registered
782 Posts
Catalyst monitor is more tricky as that one can take days to run, but generally requires a heavy acceleration (over 50% throttle) to highway speeds and a steady cruise over 50mph for 10 minutes, with an engine at operating temperature.
Had this issue on our 06 Tib GT, bought the car and they couldnt get the cat monitors to pass, had it 3 months and went back to the dealers testing place once a week to run it and no bueno, and we couldnt fill out the final purchase forms until it passed so basically I had a 3mo rental.

Finally found a readout online on what parameters of driving need to be achieved for the catalytic test, and its pretty much as you stated. Go from stop to 55mph within 10 seconds, cruise at 55 with only a 5mph deviation for 6-8min, then back to 0mph and itll clear the monitor. I did that and boom, passed emissions and was finally able to get the car in my name lol.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I brought the car into the dealership, and they themselves cannot get the monitors to set
said I had aftermarket O2 sensors, which maybe I do because I bought this car used, but want to charge me $800 to replace them.
any other ideas from the geniuses of gencoupe please?
also I have a canned tune from SFR if that matters sorry I didnt mention it before.

·
Premium Member
16,142 Posts
So I brought the car into the dealership, and they themselves cannot get the monitors to set
said I had aftermarket O2 sensors, which maybe I do because I bought this car used, but want to charge me $800 to replace them.
any other ideas from the geniuses of gencoupe please?
also I have a canned tune from SFR if that matters sorry I didnt mention it before.
You can get a cheap used OEM o2 sensor on ebay. thats what I did.
for the tune. yes it does matter if the tune has the 2nd o2 "disabled"

instead of getting the ecu retuned back to stock, contact sfr to see if you can get a stock ecu that will work with your car from them. IIRC, they charge $250 for the ecu with a tune. you want one without a tune.

·
Korean Asswhoopin
1,228 Posts
Should have said it was tuned from the beginning. Hate to waste your time at the dealer and chasing parts

·
Parts Pro & Lic Mechanic
1,297 Posts
Patriickho77;449916http://www.gencoupe.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=4499530#2 said:
I have a canned tune from SFR if that matters sorry I didnt mention it before.
REALLY???????....................I will NEVER EVER pass emissions with a tuned ECU.

Your wasting your money and time trying.

How did you even buy it, or have the vehicle certified when you purchased it.............being the emissions system has been tampered with.

Duro

1 - 13 of 13 Posts