Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So everybody is familiar with "top tier" fuels.

If you are not this is a required minimum add-pack of additives that is added to gasoline's. The major automakers in cooperation,..ie.....GM, Ford, Chrysler/Dodge/Toyota, Mitsu, VW,and the Korean makers.

The add pack tries to keeps things clean, injectors etc. (or tries to).

Chevron,Phillips 66, Exxon, Mobil,BP,Citgo,....the major names are all considered top tier fuels.
**The best of these is anything Royal Dutch (Shell),...they exceed top tier.

But the above is not is what is interesting,......................what is interesting is COSTCO.

Any of you that shop there know implicitly that anything sold at Costco is good,......and their house brand items which are made to compete with name brands are as good and more often times better.

Well I found out today how COSTCO sources and supplies its gasolines.
The COSTCO stations are with the stores, a nationwide network.
Costco searches for the best bulk pricing from many refiners, and does this in a regional fashion. They have their own regional storage/mixing facilities.

The purchaser for that region finds the best deal. Purchases in mass. 87,91,93. Then the gas is taken to a regional fuel distribution/mixing center. The fuel is downloaded into a preparation tank, while going in from the truck tanker or train tanker the fuel is finely filtered. It is then mixed with COSTCOs own "top tier", add pack.
So theoretically if they got some EXXON at a great price, you would also get it filtered and an additional add pack,...which is awesome. You can not have too much detergents,cleaners, anti-foul agents.

The fuel is then distributed by Costco to its stations, for those great fuel prices.

***I picked the brains of two Costco fuel tanker operators who were downloading a Costco fuel depot.

So all you Genesis DD people, have at it save some money, get some peace of mind, Oh and buy the huge Techron two fers in Costco,....do one at every oil change.

(**Of course I dont fuel there,...I mix 100 octane LOL).

·
Registered
287 Posts
No not anymore. All 93 octane unless I travel towards the midwest. East Coast Sunoco has 87 89 91 and 93. Race fuel and E85 at few select locations

·
Premium Member
15,171 Posts
Doesn't really apply to alaska as "nation wide" doesn't always apply to up here.

Supposedly Shell stations up here has the best quality pump gas. this is going off what the subbie community and some dyno shops have been saying for years, up here.
But who knows? Time changes all things.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Royal Dutch Shell, (Just Shell in the US) empirically has the best add packs of any major refiner in the world. I have heard this from several chemical engineers, including one that works for VP racing fuels.

Interestingly also, Circle K's carry Shell gasoline..

·
Registered
42 Posts
Costco generates very little profit on the products they sell. Membership is their main source of revenue. For example, in 2019 membership fees generated $3.35 billion. Total net income was $3.66 billion. It’s easy to see that Membership is how they are able to sell products just slightly above cost.

Member satisfaction is vital to their success as a dissatisfied member will not renew. If a product fails or they get too many complaints they will remove it. It stands to reason they would go to great lengths to ensure their gasoline is always the best if not better.

I read a statement from Costco’s Direct of Fuel Quality and Compliance who stated that Kirkland Signature gasoline has 5 times the EPA required amount of cleaning additives. The additives are blended with the fuel during fuel delivery to assure quality control. They have small (10 micron) filters that they install at the pump and if gasoline flow rate falls beyond 8 gallons per minuet they change the filters. They have electronic sensors constantly monitoring the tanks for water and contaminates and inspection occurs at least once a week.

I read from the US Energy Administration (EIA) that gasoline from different refineries are often combined for shipment through pipelines. The only difference between gasoline at one station or another typically is the lack of additives or amount of additives.

In part what makes gasoline bad is the lack of maintenance of the pumps, tanks and inspections of tanks and equipment, and thorough and prompt remedy of anything that could cause the fuel to be unacceptable.

Shell’s new top tier gasoline blend, Shell V-Power NITRO+ Premium is said to have 7 times the EPA additives. Shell uses a nitrogen based cleaning agent, which isn’t new in the industry. There is some speculation if it actually cleans better than other additives.

Shell may have the upper hand on Costco in terms of additives, but Costco might have the upper had in terms of consistent quality control at the pump. Additives do help remove and keep engines clean - no doubt, but the latter is a huge reason we experience issues with gasoline more than lower amount of additives.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Even though you are getting 91, it beats the crap out of any ethanol gas.93.
Also,..there is no "winter" and "summer" versions to no ethanol, its the same year round.

***I just found a Citgo no ethanol 93 ! nearby,....55 gallon drum here we come !

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,560 Posts
The engine is under a lot more heat load in the summer. It's set off the knock detector a couple of times but only a one time thing each time. Seldom ever did that before, maybe once a year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts