Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

301 - 320 of 545 Posts

·
Spy
1,297 Posts
Canadian EH is right. Think about the weather? Why does it rain after a cold front hits a warm front?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I think it does :p

Warm air has the ability to hold more water than cool air. Due to the spacing between molecules (density): Warm air, more space (less dense), more room for water. Cool air, less space (more dense), less room for water.

Or this is my understanding?:dunno:
This is axactly why Dew Point is used to calculate the "feels like temperature" on the news everynight.

·
Premium Member
14,840 Posts
And how many of us live in AZ and have experienced a significant decrease in milage?

Thinking about it, if you're going by the car's craptastic average mpg readings, the amount of air in the tires shouldn't matter in terms of decreased diameter. But as far as rolling resistance, it does :p.

My winter tires are an inch smaller in diameter and I didn't see a decrease from before I changed them. I've only seen a decrease, as the temps started to drop. (car readings)

·
Registered
228 Posts
2.0T auto... I'm averaging 13.7L/100KM mixed driving. About 65% city, and 35% hwy. I accelerate slowly, and the occasional over-take on the right lane due to a parked car. 87 Shell octane. AEM drop-in air filter, that is it. No other mods.

·
3.5L TT but wrong body
12,003 Posts
2.0T

Highway = 24-25mpg.

City/Traffic = 19mpg (this is completely babying it, never going. I do city/traffic about 90% of the time)
Pretty much exactly what I got in my old 2.0T auto. Couldn't get to or over 20mpg in the city if I tried. Best I ever saw on the highway was 27mpg doing about 60mph.

·
Use the F'n Search Button
4,280 Posts
It's funny, because I only really drive my GC to/from work.

We take my girls TC when we need to go somewhere, simply because it gets better mpg.

It's exactly a 20mile commute to/from work everyday. With how bad gas prices are, I actually go by how many trips to work I can take before refueling.

God it sucks having to do it that way.

·
Registered
229 Posts
i think i have stated this before on another thread....

but the 2.0t autos have a 5 SPEED auto cruising on the hwy you will notice that the RPM"s are in the 3000"s more load more gas burned at least thats how i see it. The 2.0's with the manual tranny have a better mileage due to the 6th speed.... thats why even the 3.8"s do better....

when i had my ford fusion it was a 2006 SE V6 with a 6 speed auto tranny, that car was just amazing on the hwy....took a trip to ottawa and it did in just abt half tank or so. (actually less) i was able to pull of a cool 8L/100 km and that too i was driving at 130 km/h

as mentioned somewhere else on the thread ive given up hope as well, trying to keep my mileage in check with this car is a mission on its own...my advise stay under 120 km/h if on the hwy u tend to have a better consumption rate

·
Noob
887 Posts
The transmission gearing is a bit off on the top gears in our cars.

My last car was a 5-speed auto and the 5th gear was tall. Cruising at 80 mph, the engine would be revving at about 2400-2500 RPM.

Even with a 6-speed in this car (2011 3.8 Track Auto), it's revving at 2900 RPM at 80 mph. There is no reason for the top gear to be geared like that. They should've spaced it out between 5th and 6th to lower the cruising RPM, increasing fuel efficiency. I'm getting combined 21 mpg (75% highway), whereas I was going 25-26 mpg in my old car.

·
Premium Member
14,840 Posts
Yes the mpg really SUCKS for us suckers that thought a 2.0t auto would be better than a v6. My gf gets 16 mpg. Hyundai sucks!!!! Fvcken liars!!!!:gc-wmsmiley-this-to
hyundai doesn't set the mpg rating, EPA does. They do independent testing. what they use to test, is another matter.

·
Registered
228 Posts
2.0T auto... I'm averaging 13.7L/100KM mixed driving. About 65% city, and 35% hwy. I accelerate slowly, and the occasional over-take on the right lane due to a parked car. 87 Shell octane. AEM drop-in air filter, that is it. No other mods.
Update: Contacted Hyundai Canada, and all I got was a generic response that certain variables can contribute to poor fuel economy such as incorrect tire pressure, dirty air filter etc etc etc... I challenged the CSR on her generic response, and informed that these cars have a TPMS, and car is new, so dirty air filter and worn spark plugs blame is completely invalid. They came back with "Please bring this concern up with your dealer during your first maintenance visit, as they are the best to diagnose your problem"

So far, as a test, I've tried premium Costco 91-octane fuel (0% ethanol; Debranded Shell) on a couple of tanks, and fuel economy has not changed. Wondering if I should try Sunoco's Ultra94... being the way gas prices are now, I'm looking at $0.16 more per litre compared to Costco's $0.02 more per litre than general market price... (of course, Costco's regular is $0.06 less per litre than general market price, and $0.08 less then their own premium grade)

Has anyone tried an octane gas that's 94 or higher? Any differences? With Sunoco's Ultra94 containing about 10% ethanol, would this in fact make your fuel economy worse?

·
Advenio Pariter
3,829 Posts
I have the 2.0T with the 5AT - my first slush box in 24 years. My daily driving is back roads mostly with an occasional hop onto the highway. Not city driving, but not highway either. I do not yet have 3k miles so I expect things are still pretty tight and I average 23 - 24 mpg. That is about what I expect. I use regular gas. I think Hyundai recommends premium for the best performance. Using that should improve mileage and power slightly as the ECM adjusts.

Now about octane..... Remember, what is advertised on the pump is the "minimum requirement." Back in the 50's premium gas was called Ethyl because it had ethanol added to slow down the reaction. My Vibe GT required premium only. The manual specifically required 91 octane or better or engine damage would occur. The gas cap cover had a sticker "Premium Only." That engine had 11.5:1 compression and two cam profiles. When gas prices started to really shoot up I began to put in mid-grade. Even after many tanks I NEVER experienced a single ping or a hit on my mileage. My engine considered the mid-grade to be the same as premium. Hmmm. I traded the car for Genny before trying this experiment with regular gas. With 10% ethanol I suspect the real octane rating of our gas is higher than advertised. That would be quite legal. Now, ethanol has less energy content so ALL of us will obtain lower gas mileage in the United States than other places using real gasoline. I would hope the Canadians are smart enough not to follow our foolish lead with ethanol. With 10% ethanol we will all be getting lower mileage. That is just simple chemistry. The good news in all of this is that ADM and Monsanto are getting filthy rich over this boondoggle.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I think you are a little off base here.

A few things come in to play with MPG as I am sure you know. First of all with the octane gas you put in... The car will run on 87 but runs best on 91. They are not telling you that you have to run high octane only that you get best results with the high octane. So you should have done a little research before purchase.

Second I get around 27MPG 60% highway 40% street, in my v6 so it sounds to me like you have your foot into it all the way when your driving.

Third those numbers on the sticker are best case scenario, it is rare to actually ever see the promised MPG...
First,remember that speed eats fuel. Drag increases greatly with velocity. Second,I drive from california to utah yesterday,and was neither driving slow nor was I driving it gingerly to conserve fuel. I was balls to the wall,hauling a$$ on the open road. (I wont say how fast I got it up to,and Im not saying that I exceeded the speed limit,but I will say that I happen to know that it drives very nicely at 135 and that it just cruises along at those speeds without a care in the world. I have a 2.0 R-Spec btw. If you were on I80 in Nevada,that black blur that you saw fly past you was probably me)
I didnt realize there was a large distance with no fuel stations and I literally ran it dry. I ended up sputtering out just before the exit,managed to get it restarted on the down slope,got up to about 80mph before it ran completely dry coasted off the off ramp,cut off a semi truck and coasted into the gas station coming to a stop right by the pump. (if the gas station had not been down hill from the off ramp I would have been walking for fuel) I filled it up with a little over 17 gallons of fuel,and had driven about 400 miles. I think it was around 17.3 gallons that I put in,so that means I got about 23mpg. (The fuel was 91 octane,becuase honestly its one of the cheapest performance enhancements you can get,its around 10hp increase for using premium)

·
Advenio Pariter
3,829 Posts
Another clue is that the EPA city and highway mileage is 10 mpg apart. The comment on gasoline is quite correct. Premium gas will give you the best overall performance, but there is no harm in using regular. Be careful with your turbo. Once that baby starts spinning your engine will gulp fuel. I find it odd at the different in mileage reported here and how it must be Hyundai's fault. Given how computer controlled the engines are I would think the differences would be minimal except for driving habits. The exception is people who bolt on a bunch of after market performance enhancers and throw their factory programming off. My mileage drops a lot when I have some fun and comes back up when I drive gently...as expected. I am quite happy with my GC.

301 - 320 of 545 Posts