Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 545 Posts

·
2.0 4B11 n/a FTL
249 Posts
Wait...who buys a sports car for fuel efficency??

I've had my car for 7K miles, a year and a half and I've never even bothered to calculate fuel efficiency
a 22k coupe dosent exactly scream sport. in terms of a daily driver efficiency can take a toll on your decision of buying a "sports" car

you'd be surprised how many GC owners bought it because its efficient. thats the main reason of me choosing the GC over the 10 lancer ralliart.

·
history1595
3 Posts
I have a 3.8 and average about 29 on hwy and about 24-26 city driving in DC. If I put my foor in it (which is the only way to drive it unless on the highway) I can get as low as 20 as high as 23. Premium regular mid grade doesn't matter in city. on highway with AC .5mpg difference (325 mile trip to NC with air on return trip early AM with no AC ) Good luck my dad had an RX-8 that didn't live up to HP rating they gave him 1000.00 in acc. from dealer

·
1 Bad R-Spec
67 Posts
Wait...who buys a sports car for fuel efficency??

I've had my car for 7K miles, a year and a half and I've never even bothered to calculate fuel efficiency
hahahaha You deserve Nobel Peace Price i completely agree. If you wanted efficiency buy a hybrid or something.

and also Like someone said about tire pressure system i really have not found ONE car that has it ALL..Just have fun with the car and the cool features it does come with that other cars Dont have

·
Out Pissing Off cops!
4,572 Posts
No I do not need driving lessons...lol Like I said 34,000 miles on my car. I have tried every scenario. I have owned 20 brand new cars in my time. This is the first that does not atleast give me an average with in the sticker numbers. I drive HIGHWAY all the time. and I am not average above 23 unless with 92 Octane. I cruise typically around 65 and try to keep the rpm around 2500. This gives me the best milage.

I get it if you think I am crying about the milage but I expect to get what I pay for and so far that is not happening.

I am open to further suggestions.
Try going @ 58, keeping the revs ~1800-2000...Come back and tell us what you get in MPG.

I found that if I keep the revs @ ~2000, I got ~8.0L/100 or 29.4MPG w/2.0T 6MT.

Otherwise I get about 13.5l/100 or 17.4MPG. I have a heavy foot.

Also try and reset the Trip meter during a highway trip, so you will actually see what MPG you're getting at that time, not the average.

·
That Guy
421 Posts
when my wife drives the car....she gets better than the advertised MPG.
When I drive the car.....well.......I dont.

driving style ftw!
even when I try to drive to get better fuel economy....I just cant get anywhere near what my wife gets and that's in the same car.
I think its all the wheel spin/drifting/WOT times in the car.

·
Registered
596 Posts
The EPA combined estimate for your car is 23MPG. You are reaching these levels.

Did you honestly expect a turbo sports coupe to get good MPG? Once that turbo starts throwing decent levels of boost it's over for the gas mileage.

·
3.5L TT but wrong body
12,003 Posts
The EPA combined estimate for your car is 23MPG. You are reaching these levels.

Did you honestly expect a turbo sports coupe to get good MPG? Once that turbo starts throwing decent levels of boost it's over for the gas mileage.
The 2.0T 6MT does get good gas mileage, just as good or better than my Integra got.... It's the automatics that don't.

·
Registered
596 Posts
The 2.0T 6MT does get good gas mileage, just as good or better than my Integra got.... It's the automatics that don't.
Only because you have a higher degree of control over engine speed, and thus how fast the turbo may spool. The bottom line is that it's a sports coupe. It won't get the best gas mileage. The EPA reported is 23 combined, and said user is reaching these levels yet it still complaining.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
So which dealer do you work for? You would understand my frustration better if I gave you the laundry list of problems I have had with this car. Far more than any other manufacturer but I guess that's what you get when you buy a Hyundai. I have a biiweekly trip to my local dealer. Don't get me wrong, it is a nice care and I do enjoy it, when it works. But is cheaply made.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I'd like to see a video of sustained 30mpg... Impossible in my wifes car unless you're going down hill or 55 mph, windows up, A/C off, on a perfectly flat road, with no head wind, and perhaps a tail wind to help out.
My overall MPG is around what the PO is getting but on numerous occasions on a flat, smooth, straight highway I've clocked 30-35MPG running at 70MPH on cruise. Drops to about 26-27 at 80MPH. At least this is what the on board computer is telling me.

Rolling on a city street, I clock 99.9MPG. :bowdown:

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Ok, I'm sorry but if you drive a M/T, the V6, or the V6 auto you really don't know wtf you're talking about. The 5 speed A/T is a piece of **** and doesn't deliver the advertised numbers.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Only because you have a higher degree of control over engine speed, and thus how fast the turbo may spool. The bottom line is that it's a sports coupe. It won't get the best gas mileage. The EPA reported is 23 combined, and said user is reaching these levels yet it still complaining.
Wrong, the 5AT gets worse mileage, particularly cruising at highway speeds, because it has shorter gearing, a shorter back end, and only 5 gears. Hyundai makes up for only having 5 gears and what I suspect is immense drive train loss by having an unheard of short rear axle which also has the side effect of being less efficient than a taller rear axle. It's mechanics and doesn't have all that much to do with "who" has "control". Fact of the matter is, they cheaped out on the 5-speed AT in the 2.0.

My 4-speed Corolla auto got just as good of mileage despite the fact that a "computer" controlled the shifting. 34 mpg on a 1997 vehicle.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
It seems like the ZF/V6 is the best combo of power and mpg because a lot of the V6 guys is getting better mpg numbers than the turbo 2.liter guys.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
So which dealer do you work for? You would understand my frustration better if I gave you the laundry list of problems I have had with this car. Far more than any other manufacturer but I guess that's what you get when you buy a Hyundai. I have a biiweekly trip to my local dealer. Don't get me wrong, it is a nice care and I do enjoy it, when it works. But is cheaply made.
dude you seem to not be happy with the car. You dont even drive the thing to enjoy what the car is all about...

heres a suggestion... get rid of it and find something else that will actually make you happy... People have given you suggestions. Do them. If they dont work what do you expect to happen by ranting on an internet board with people that are getting either better results than you, or the same results but not complaining...

Your preaching to the wrong crowd here. The people that seem to care about Milage are getting good milage... the people that dont care, well its just that... they dont care.

I think you bought the wrong car. Maybe you should think about a getting a Golf GTD

Those are torquey and get VERY good milage... They are nice inside and out and still offer a nice sense of spirit if you ever get in the mood to get on the throttle. I think that would be a very good car for you. :dunno:

·
4th color - 4th wheels
8,829 Posts
and yet Hyundai is one of the highest in initial quality :dunno:. I really don't think it is the car but the driver not understanding their car very well, even after that many miles

·
Registered
144 Posts
i have 2.0 Track and im getting 15-19 mpg all city driving. im kinda pissed as well, my friends mazda speed 3 which smokes me gets 25mpg :/

21 - 40 of 545 Posts