Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

401 - 420 of 545 Posts

·
Hammer lane Hero
5,712 Posts
Woman wins small-claims suit over Honda Civic Hybrid - Yahoo! Autos
It's a hybrid, they're marketed exclusively by their MPG.

sent from my not-so-smartphone

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Guys, look up the EPA drive cycle. It's been known to be a joke for years.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.com App

·
I wanna go fast
323 Posts
I took the back roads home on a two hour drive last week. while cruising between 45-60, the MPG was 28-30. About halfway through, we stopped to eat and the kid was getting ancy so I got on the interstate (speed limit was just recently raised to 75 in KS) cruising at 80 mph I was getting 23 mpg. On post (I live on Ft. Riley, KS) I get no more than 20 mpg. I am happy with this increased gas mileage from my Impreza 2.5 RS(Naturally aspirated)I was getting about 16 MPG on post and 22 on the highway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
When I first got my car 3 weeks ago I was furious with the 18 mpg I got per tank (Usually 50/50 and very conservative driving). In city I was getting about 15 and highway about 19. With the back roads it goes up slightly. I do live in mountains though. However, now with 1500 miles on the car, I get from 25 to 28 highway and about 25 on backroads. About 21 to 22 combined. That's what EPA said it would get, so I'm a little happier.

It's still going to turn into a 2013 3.8 R-Spec.

·
Registered
350 Posts
doesnt it being RWD have alot of to do with fuel consumption as well? i went from a 2.0t saab 4dr automatic to this 2.0t gencoupe manual and i was getting 32-36 mpg on the interstate in the saab, i noticed i only get like 24 in the gencoupe cruising at 70 and i assume alot of the difference comes from the drivetrain??? being as the saab was FWD and the gencoupe is RWD?

·
Advenio Pariter
3,829 Posts
doesnt it being RWD have alot of to do with fuel consumption as well? i went from a 2.0t saab 4dr automatic to this 2.0t gencoupe manual and i was getting 32-36 mpg on the interstate in the saab, i noticed i only get like 24 in the gencoupe cruising at 70 and i assume alot of the difference comes from the drivetrain??? being as the saab was FWD and the gencoupe is RWD?
You are spinning a drive shaft and have a big differential in the back, so yes this will affect your mileage. It also adds weight. I put this in perspective using my previous car as an example.

My Vibe GT got around 28 - 29 mpg driving to and from work.
My GenCoupe gets around 23 mpg driving the same route to and from work.

GenCoupe is 600 pounds heavier
GenCoupe has an auto versus a 6 speed (big loss there)
GenCoupe has a slightly larger engine with boost
GenCoupe has more mechanical losses (RWD / bigger tires)

All in all I cannot complain. Is the GenCoupe more fun to drive. Yes. What were your highway rpms on the Saab? Mine are like 2800+ so the 5AT is NOT an overdrive transmission, but is geared to hit the speed limiter it would seem.

·
Advenio Pariter
3,829 Posts
Let's put this whole mileage thing in perspective. Compared to my Vibe I am using around 2.5+ gallons of gas more per week. With current gas prices I am spending about $10.00 more per week to fuel the Genny versus my Vibe. Am I getting $10.00 worth of entertainment value?

Frack Yes!!!

The end...close the thread please...:icon_rolleyes:

·
Registered
89 Posts
On regular gas (87 Octane) I get on avg 17-23mpg driving in PR (hills, irregular traffic flow and stop-n-go traffic), but that is because I'm constantly jumping between 55 and 80 mph on the highway to get past our morning dumb asses :mad: who drive 40 in the left lane. Then between stopped and 45 mph in 5 pm traffic. There is no smooth driving here except on holidays or at 2 am.

But consider this:
My 2010 2.0L Turbo AT has the HKS catback, AEM CAI, a Mishimoto Intercooler and a sprint booster. Driving slow in not in my blood. :gc-drool1: However, when I'm just chilling between 55 or 65 mph and ignoring every fly-by'er, I can get to 26+ mpg. :D

So, YES, your driving style is the key factor.

I haven't used 93 octane gas much to be able to compare.

I have been told though, that a Gen 2.0L Turbo does run with a rich mixture for engine protection purposes. I'm not too savvy in that area to argue that, but I did notice it in how "smoked" the exhausts are.

I was also told that with a reflash I would have a leaner mixture and better mpgs, but only on 93 octane.

But why buy a 'sports car' if you're going to worry about mpgs???? I don't get it.

Try keeping it under 65 mph for a change and see how it performs.

Good luck.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Let's put this whole mileage thing in perspective. Compared to my Vibe I am using around 2.5+ gallons of gas more per week. With current gas prices I am spending about $10.00 more per week to fuel the Genny versus my Vibe. Am I getting $10.00 worth of entertainment value?

Frack Yes!!!

The end...close the thread please...:icon_rolleyes:
Agreed! It's all about smiles per gallon! Might get flamed for this but I'm in the same position with both my old truck and new one, I spend almost $40 more per tank but the trucks are more fun to me than the gen was. Plus the R/T ran 6 tenths quicker in the 1/4 mile than the gen(14.7 vs 15.3) and the new one should run what the gen did or slightly slower. Although the trucks suck more fuel doing 1/4 mile runs than the gen *sigh* But again smiles per gallon

A mod, please close this thread. or someone tell me how to unsub...i'm tired of the emails every 2 hours...

·
Registered
282 Posts
FUN TO DRIVE is key. If you bought it for mileage you bought the wrong car.
+1

Oh, your 300+ Horsepower sports coupe that is one of the baddest ass cars on the road, can outrun a Porsche 911 to 100 MPH, and accelerates better than a BMW or comparable Mercedes but costs only half as much only gets 25 miles per gallon? Cry me a river.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I think you guys are missing the point. It doesn't matter that it's a sports car and not intended to get good gas mileage, it's still supposed to get the advertised mileage or close to it. I'm sure there are people out there who would have bought a different car if they knew the 2.0t wouldn't meet it's mileage claims. Maybe they would of got a 3.8L genesis or something else faster that is also bad on gas. I'm sure you guys would be pissed if the cargo room or horsepower was off by 20% from what was advertised.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
+1

Oh, your 300+ Horsepower sports coupe that is one of the baddest ass cars on the road, can outrun a Porsche 911 to 100 MPH, and accelerates better than a BMW or comparable Mercedes but costs only half as much only gets 25 miles per gallon? Cry me a river.
/facepalm

·
Registered
89 Posts
The point is that the stock car can and will give 20, 25, and 30 mpg IF, and that is a Big IF, you drive like Morgan Freeman in Driving Ms. Daisy on a flat road with no traffic.

Mine did before I modified it and that was doing 60 and 70 highway mph driving around the island (hills, curves, etc.).

So, really, save some face and either:
1. Buy a Prius
2. Monitor your driving habits and adjust
3. Get out there and drive inexpensive sports car with pride

401 - 420 of 545 Posts