Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

421 - 440 of 545 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
I live in Tampa, fl and traffic lights galor. I drive very spirited and see 21 in city and I have seen 31 highway. And just shy or 500 miles a tank. I don't find anything wrong with my numbers. I have fun it's a fun car and that is all that matters. Many factors go into mpg. Altitude, temperature, wind, tires, tire pressures, extra weight, how well speed is maintained, acceleration.

·
Registered
534 Posts
+1

Oh, your 300+ Horsepower sports coupe that is one of the baddest ass cars on the road, can outrun a Porsche 911 to 100 MPH, and accelerates better than a BMW or comparable Mercedes but costs only half as much only gets 25 miles per gallon? Cry me a river.
Please tell me you're kidding

·
Advenio Pariter
3,829 Posts
This thread is up to 22 pages and simply will not die. Would somebody please just sue already!! Let us know how it worked out for you. Until then I am just going to enjoy my ride...

·
Premium Member
14,818 Posts
whoever sues is going to be out a lot of money in legal fees, because the MPG isn't what these cars were really advertised for.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Honda recently got sued for false advertising mpg figures on the civic. It's just a matter of someone stepping up and do it.

I've contacted Hyundai several times and they seem to be aware of the poor mpg issue. Doesn't make sense why don't they don't come up with an ecu update to fix the running rich issue on the 2.0T.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
A picture I took two days ago:
<- you need to paste that since I have less than 10 posts..... wow

That's what you get when you drive relatively conservative, averaging 50MPH

·
Registered
89 Posts
It's a suggestion.

The dumbest ****ing thing is to take it literally.

The guy is going to go a different car win or loose. What he gets means squat.

·
Premium Member
14,818 Posts
Honda recently got sued for false advertising mpg figures on the civic. It's just a matter of someone stepping up and do it.

I've contacted Hyundai several times and they seem to be aware of the poor mpg issue. Doesn't make sense why don't they don't come up with an ecu update to fix the running rich issue on the 2.0T.
That was because the civic was a hybrid;
the person that sued, was a lawyer;
It was small claims court;
target and actual mpg was something like 20 mpg difference

BTW. Hyundai doesn't come up with the numbers for MPG, the EPA does, by testing the car on an actual rolling road.

National Vehicle and Fuel Emissions Laboratory | Office of Transportation and Air Quality | US EPA

·
Registered
521 Posts
The EPA only tests a small selection of random cars, they rely on the auto makers to do the testing and give them the numbers.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
this post is so i can post images

·
Registered
92 Posts
The EPA only tests a small selection of random cars, they rely on the auto makers to do the testing and give them the numbers.
Yes, EPA comes up with the MPG figures. But if we are seeing some owners achieving acceptable MPG while many others seeing poor MPG, that shows how poor Hyundai's error toleration and quality control is.

The EPA estimates were supposedly made more accurate as of late.

My 06 Audi and 08 Subie were actually conservative and both achieved excellent fuel economy and I never had to baby the throttle on the highway as I am trying with the gen to get anywhere close to EPA figures.

Do I expect to get exactly what the EPA posted on the sticker? NO way. But I also do not expect to get piss poor mpg like I've been getting. I have to mention though after my cousin adjusted the spark plug gap (thanks to gen owners posting about it) I've seen fuel consumption improve by about 1MPG to ~18. Still far from being acceptable.

If my driving was mostly city I would totally accept it even if I was getting 15MPG. I do about 70/30 hwy/city and that's where the issue is, poor HWY MPG.

·
Premium Member
14,818 Posts
Yes, EPA comes up with the MPG figures. But if we are seeing some owners achieving acceptable MPG while many others seeing poor MPG, that shows how poor Hyundai's error toleration and quality control is.

The EPA estimates were supposedly made more accurate as of late.

My 06 Audi and 08 Subie were actually conservative and both achieved excellent fuel economy and I never had to baby the throttle on the highway as I am trying with the gen to get anywhere close to EPA figures.

Do I expect to get exactly what the EPA posted on the sticker? NO way. But I also do not expect to get piss poor mpg like I've been getting. I have to mention though after my cousin adjusted the spark plug gap (thanks to gen owners posting about it) I've seen fuel consumption improve by about 1MPG to ~18. Still far from being acceptable.

If my driving was mostly city I would totally accept it even if I was getting 15MPG. I do about 70/30 hwy/city and that's where the issue is, poor HWY MPG.
3 things:

1. A majority of the people that are complaining are 2.0T, if not all

2. pretty sure they are in locations seeing sub 30* temps

3. The 2.0T uses a MAP sensor and air temp only setup to measure air entering the engine, so the ECU is extrapolating how much air enters the engine from ONLY air pressure and intake air temps (well, uses o2 sensors on the exhaust also). Colder ambient air temps, kills gas milage.

The cars you mentioned use a MAF plus MAP and temp sensors to accurately measure air entering the engine. And is also the reason why such cars run crappy when running a BOV, and lifting off throttle.

Wait until summer to more accurately read MPG.

And DON'T use the craptastic average MPG display. It's inaccurate, especially if you let your car warm up. Don't be lazy and actually spend some time and do some math.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok since this is the thread that never dies, I figured I'd post my two cents to get my post numbers up by one. I just bought a new 2012 2.0t. On the window sticker in the big numbers it said 20 city mpg and 30 highway mpg.
however in the fine print it says expected range for most drivers is 16 to 24 city and 24 to 36 highway. I was geting 17-19 around town and 23-25 on the highway so therefore i was well within their posted numbers. I tried using premium on the last tank and it seemed to help some. Brought my numbers up to 22 to 23 around town..have yet to take it on the highway with premium. So Hyundai is advertising a range of 16 to 36 mpg, so unless you are regularly getting around 10 mpg you're going to have a hard time getting anywhere with a complaint.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Who or when has anyone seen a gas pump checked to see that it is actually delivering an accurate gallon / liter of fuel? Just wondering, ... I have been around for a while (57 years old) and I have never seen any fuel pump checked or adjusted. When I buy beer or booze I know I get what I paid for, .... but fuel? Am I alone in this thinking?

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,268 Posts
In Illinois the pumps get checked once a year for accuracy. When pumping gas sometimes I will stop at 10 gallons exactly. The price should match the advertised price per gallon x 10.

·
Premium Member
14,818 Posts
Who or when has anyone seen a gas pump checked to see that it is actually delivering an accurate gallon / liter of fuel? Just wondering, ... I have been around for a while (57 years old) and I have never seen any fuel pump checked or adjusted. When I buy beer or booze I know I get what I paid for, .... but fuel? Am I alone in this thinking?
by federal standards, they are check every 1~3 years. There should be stickers on the pump to show, when they were last checked.

·
Registered
92 Posts
3 things:

1. A majority of the people that are complaining are 2.0T, if not all

2. pretty sure they are in locations seeing sub 30* temps

3. The 2.0T uses a MAP sensor and air temp only setup to measure air entering the engine, so the ECU is extrapolating how much air enters the engine from ONLY air pressure and intake air temps (well, uses o2 sensors on the exhaust also). Colder ambient air temps, kills gas milage.

The cars you mentioned use a MAF plus MAP and temp sensors to accurately measure air entering the engine. And is also the reason why such cars run crappy when running a BOV, and lifting off throttle.

Wait until summer to more accurately read MPG.

And DON'T use the craptastic average MPG display. It's inaccurate, especially if you let your car warm up. Don't be lazy and actually spend some time and do some math.
1. Yes most are 2.0T owners.

2. I am in SoCal, usually temps are within 65-80 day, 40-50 night.

3. I agree, colder temps means lower mpg. I replaced my K&N cone filter with a drop filter which helped a little. The plug gap was adjusted mid September, so I think mpg should improve summertime.

Lol, I actually do calculate the mpg. It's usually within 0.2-0.5 gallon of the MPG calculator, so that says it's pretty accurate.

Why doesn't Hyundai use the more accurate air temp sensors? Do you think the 2013 model will adopt those sensors?

421 - 440 of 545 Posts