Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

481 - 500 of 545 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Corn is the staple of the American diet. Turning "food" into fuel makes no sense.

The creation of corn ethanol requires more energy to produce than the energy liberated later on when we burn it. This makes no sense. Brazil has proven "sugar ethanol" does make sense, however.

Ethanol has a lower energy content and hence lower mileage. I would postulate MORE pollution as a result of the lower mileage.

This is nothing more than a political boondoggle started by GW Bush and extended by the current regime. Once again, market distortion.
Sorry, just wanted to respond to this one post. I work in Risk engineering and thus get to work with a lot of different industries. I understand your argument, but we are in no dire crisis as far as a corn shortage is concerned. The government is actually paying farmers not to produce corn to keep the prices where they are, not to mention the fact that a large percentage of what we produce is sent over seas.

We produce more corn and wheat then the nation could possibly consume, and even with our extremely large stock piles of the stuff, we export 2-3 times as much as we consume as a nation. Just saying.....

The governments mind set, is turning corn to fuel allows the market price to move up, thus less subsidies being paid out, and allows us to us some of this surplus that we don't know what to do with. Do we have enough of a surplus to fuel the nation, no, but it alleviates some of our (even if a very small percentage) reliance on foreign oil. I personally am a conservative and think we should drill where ever oil exists......but apparently we would rather other countries do it for us, that is something I completely don't understand.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I know what combustion is and the products produced by it. I asked what does ethanol do to help.

E10 Emissions
Nothing you have posted proves your point... Ethanol reduces emissions. Governments around the world have looked at the data and come to the same conclusion. I don't have time to keep arguing the point and I think we're a little off topic.

·
Advenio Pariter
3,829 Posts
:gc-Popcorn_Smiley_b

We might be off topic, but I think I learned something today.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Screw ethanol unless it's a substitute for racing fuel. Go back to no ethanol in fuels is all I gotta say

In other news anybody else hear about gm not making the volt anymore?

·
Registered
355 Posts
I think its hilarious that the 4 banger gets worse MPG then the V6. Cruise set on the highway, I get 35 mpg no problem... AC, stereo.... doesn't effect me that much. around town, I average 27-28 mpg no problem.

granted when I drive like an A$$ it goes down, but i've never seen below 20mpg.

·
Registered
168 Posts
My 5.7 pulls 11 city and 14-19 highway lol. Then again yours is a camaro, and mine is a ram

Yeah, stock 3.42 gears and a 6th gear forever! I can do 80mph and be under 2,000rpms. I remember driving the gen coupe, I couldn't believe how close the gears were! Like my cbr600.

·
Registered
92 Posts
You have owned 20 new cars and your 2.0T has 34k miles and you're bearly finding this out? Hmm, you should have done some more research to see which transmission performed better in terms of mpg's. On another note if you're so unsatisfied with your Gen after 34k miles then ill suggest a new 2013 with the 8AT which performances a little better than the previous. I really don't think you'll get anywhere with a lawsuit against Hyundai. Anyways GL with whatever you decide.

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,275 Posts
My miles on the car is 34k and from my past experience this is the peak time for good gas mileage. Last two tanks have been over 33 mpg calculated. I don't see much boost though but have seen some 75-80 mph Interstate driving.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Ethanol is put into gas to reduce the amount of harmful air pollutants generated in the combustion process. It's not a conspiracy between Monsanto and the government.

And if you believe that story, I have a bridge to sell you.

I guess you believe in the whole anthropogenic global warming fairy tale as well, yes? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,275 Posts

I guess you believe in the whole anthropogenic global warming fairy tale as well, yes? :rofl::rofl::rofl:
Besides that it is Archer Daniels Midland and not Monsanto.

·
3.5L TT but wrong body
12,003 Posts
I think its hilarious that the 4 banger gets worse MPG then the V6. Cruise set on the highway, I get 35 mpg no problem... AC, stereo.... doesn't effect me that much. around town, I average 27-28 mpg no problem.

granted when I drive like an A$$ it goes down, but i've never seen below 20mpg.
I see V6 guys claim that from time to time but none of them have been able or willing to get a video of it. The 2.0T 6MT still gets the best mileage, it's just the 5AT that gets bad mileage. Get a video of you resetting the MPG readout cruising at 70mph on a flat road for a few milesand post it up. Hopefully one day a V6 guy will actually back up the claims of 35mpg highway with some proof.... And no, a picture is not good enough. Anyone can reset mpg, coast down a hill, and take a pic of 99mpg read out if they wanted to.

·
Spy
1,297 Posts
I've gotten 30.3 mpg max when driving all highway (stopped at a gas station, filled up, and continued driving at 65 mph) Granted I was driving behind a semi...so that may have boosted it up a bit

·
3.5L TT but wrong body
12,003 Posts
I've gotten 30.3 mpg max when driving all highway (stopped at a gas station, filled up, and continued driving at 65 mph) Granted I was driving behind a semi...so that may have boosted it up a bit
What year is your AT? I think in 11 and 12 they got taller gearing in the rear so MPG should be slighly better than 10's. Can you take a video similar to what was described in my last post? I've seen a few 5ATs claim 30mpg on the highway but nobody has backed that up yet either. When I had my 2010 5AT I couldn't get 30mpg unless I was going down a hill with a tail wind. I'd average 16mpg city if I didn't drive like a grandma and could only pull 27mpg on a highway only trip from Austin to Dallas, cruising between 65 and 70mph.

Here's the video of my 6MT getting 32mpg at 70mph.

·
Board Whore
644 Posts
no need for gas. plant hemp smoke. fly places. 0 mpg. 1000000000000 awesome/pb

·
Registered
192 Posts

and i suppose you believe the earth is flat and smoking is good for your health...... seeing as how you don't believe in science and experimental evidence as a source of reliable information.... or do you only selectively believe it when it doesn't inconvenience your life or upset your psychologically satisfying, but fictitious world you have built up in your mind? :dunno:

481 - 500 of 545 Posts