Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A coupe days ago I installed some BC BR coilovers. After about a day of driving I noticed a clicking or popping noise that kind of sounded like the when you run over an acorn or rock. Like just a pop. Its coming from the rear and I think it’s just the driver side but I’m not sure. I’ve looked around and some of the answers I’ve seen have been improper spring preload, loose bolts, or a problem with the end links. I know how to look for improper preload of the spring or for a loose bolt but my question is what would I need to look for to see if it’s a problem with the end links? I will note that during installation I had trouble getting the end links to line back up with their proper hole, and I had to push down on the entire rear suspension in order to get the holes to line up, then I had to tap it in. Could that have contributed to the problem? Any help is appreciated, whether you may have an idea about why the suspension pops or help with my questions on the end links.

·
In Charge of Snacks
2,108 Posts
You could check the torque on the end-link nuts, if they were loose it would make a noise. However, the end-link noise people mention most is related to the actual spherical joint at the ends of the end-links going bad or being faulty from the manufacturer. Since they're new its unlikely that they're bad.

Many new suspension parts pop and squeak, though. they're under tremendous shock and point loads throughout their normal life. This is not to excuse them making noise, but essentially all you can do is check double check, and re-check all the fasteners and pre-loads. Many times, a firmer or different location suspension member (like new coilovers) will cause another part to come under more stress, making noises in parts where previously there was no problem. Frustrating, but it's reality.

If you want to check for the source of bump/knock/squeak noises from your suspension the best way is to get the car up on a rack then use an under-hoist stand with a foot lever to actuate the suspension. you should be able to hear and see the sources of any noises. This is the tool you'll need :

bestbuyautoequipment.com/Norco-3-4-Ton-Under-Hoist-Stand-p/norco-81034a.htm

·
Registered
148 Posts
Had a similar noise before, and it was just one of the end-links wasn't tightened all the way. Brought the torque wrench back out and good as new. Definitely give everything a check over again.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have the exact same problem with clunking in my rear suspension after installing my PBM pro coilovers in July. I would like to see if new adjustable rear endlinks would solve the problem, but I'm doubtful. I've searched all around the internet and I think I have found the answer. The rear lower control arms don't have much travel in stock form and I believe that it is hitting the subframe, or something else under the car. If you look at PBM lower control arms they are way smaller and allow for far more suspension travel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the exact same problem with clunking in my rear suspension after installing my PBM pro coilovers in July. I would like to see if new adjustable rear endlinks would solve the problem, but I'm doubtful. I've searched all around the internet and I think I have found the answer. The rear lower control arms don't have much travel in stock form and I believe that it is hitting the subframe, or something else under the car. If you look at PBM lower control arms they are way smaller and allow for far more suspension travel.
Ok thanks for the response, I’ll look into that after checking my preload

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had a similar noise before, and it was just one of the end-links wasn't tightened all the way. Brought the torque wrench back out and good as new. Definitely give everything a check over again.
When I installed the coilovers the only thing I didn’t torque to spec was the bolts holding the rear shock in, because the first time I tried to, the bolt snapped and I was being cautious the second time around. From what your saying it sounds like that could be the problem?

·
Registered
2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T Premium 6MT - Silverstone
105 Posts
When I installed the coilovers the only thing I didn’t torque to spec was the bolts holding the rear shock in, because the first time I tried to, the bolt snapped and I was being cautious the second time around. From what your saying it sounds like that could be the problem?
They are talking about the end-links, not the bolts holding the strut in.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Correct, in my case it was the front right endlink connecting to the swaybar that wasn't tightened enough.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Numerous new suspension parts pop and squeak, however. they're under enormous stun and point loads all through their typical life. This isn't to pardon them making commotion, yet basically everything you can do is check twofold check, and re-check all the clasp and pre-loads. Commonly, a firmer or diverse area suspension part 192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1 jpg to pdf (like new coilovers) will make another part go under more pressure, making commotions in parts where already there was no issue. Baffling, however it's world.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts