Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
KDM > All
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well my superlux tails should be arriving soon. I know I'm going to reseal everything to prevent condensation issues. I wanted to see if this certain mod was possible though.

Here is how the superlux tails look when your lights are on but the brakes are not engaged.

I want the two rings to be lit, but I don't really like the LED's on the side. I feel as though at night while you're cruising, just having the two rings lit would look good. Here is the mod I'm thinking about. (Sorry for the shitty paint editing)

(more of a night shot for when just lights are on... not the brake lights)

In order to do this, I'm thinking of cutting the wiring that goes into the side panels for the parking lights and splicing the LED end of the wire onto the brake lights line. That way they illuminate only when you apply the brakes.

I've never opened these taillights up before so any insight on if this mod is actually doable would be great!

EDIT:

I found a picture of the internal wiring. Any help now?

·
Premium Member
40,514 Posts

·
KDM > All
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pictures are dead on this link, but videos work.

Opening any tail light is going to be the same regardless of aftermarket or OEM.

http://www.gencoupe.com/electrical-lighting/66421-diy-cut-open-oem-tails-modding.html
Thanks GenCoupeGeek. I actually already have that thread bookmarked for future use.

That's not what I'm asking about in this thread though. I'm asking about if it's possible to do the mod I discussed earlier, not if I could have access to the wires themselves. It's more an issue of what wire could be cut/spliced to make the mod work.

Thanks for the reply though!

·
Premium Member
40,514 Posts
use a 9V battery and touch each line to figure out which one to cut.

·
KDM > All
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
use a 9V battery and touch each line to figure out which one to cut.
True I could do that. I figured I'd see if anyone who had experience modding these taillights could clue me in on if there is even a wire available for that.

·
Dropping Knowledge
138 Posts
In order to do this, I'm thinking of cutting the wiring that goes into the side panels for the parking lights and splicing the LED end of the wire onto the brake lights line. That way they illuminate only when you apply the brakes.

I've never opened these taillights up before so any insight on if this mod is actually doable would be great!
Hey there, I do not have experience with the tails, but I am a electrical engineer. Look at the pic below. So the led's red and black/white are the power to led's. I put yellow arrows to what appears to be the wires. Verify before you cut. You can tap into the wires for brakes. I cannot see because the picture is not clear or high resolution. It is a very simple mod. Let me know if you have any questions bro. I gotchu.

·
KDM > All
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sorry to hijack thread...but im planning on getting superlux for my Genny...what do you mean about sealing them? are they not sealed? also how do you plan on sealing them?
They're sealed, just not well. Do a quick search on the forums and you'll see that everyone recommend doing and extra sealing job to be sure they're tight.

Hey there, I do not have experience with the tails, but I am a electrical engineer. Look at the pic below. So the led's red and black/white are the power to led's. I put yellow arrows to what appears to be the wires. Verify before you cut. You can tap into the wires for brakes. I cannot see because the picture is not clear or high resolution. It is a very simple mod. Let me know if you have any questions bro. I gotchu.

Alright sweet thanks. Yea I'm actually finishing up my junior year of electrical engineering at VT right now haha. I figured I'd ask the forum if someone had already done this before or knew of a reason it couldn't work. Thanks for the help!

·
KDM > All
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you do this mod? I'm thinking of getting them myself and I like what you at about this mod. Would like to do it myself.
I just got my superlux tails installed. I'm currently working on Nexus 7 tablet install, so I probably won't take a real look into the potential for this mod until next month. Let me know if you move forward with it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.