Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or actually, I am only interested in what I should put in my Genesis bk2 2013 v6 347 HP (spec) car.
Yes I searched the forums. Its a hot topic and an old topic. I cant wrap my head around all information.

So bringing this hot subject up again. Awakening the dormant witches and preparing for a full flak-fest of insults, I hereby reopen the discussion of:

Premium or Regular fuel discussion 2022 edition.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've always ran 91 - I am not sure if it's true but the BK1 2.0 supposedly does make a little more power with higher octane. To me it felt better on 91 regardless.

Now that I'm tuned though, I can only run 91.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have heard you need to do a ECU reset? I am taking the car in for service on the end of the month, should I ask them to it for me with Premium in the tanks?

·
Registered
2012 genesis coupe 2.0T Premium
3 Posts
I have a 2.0t bk1 genesis. Running regular is a big difference for not just mileage but power as well in my car. My mileage is messed up on my system and I get way more range with premium. The genesis is made to run on all grades of gas. Low or high, but as always a sports car benefits from 91 or 93 more than low grade.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 2.0t bk1 genesis. Running regular is a big difference for not just mileage but power as well in my car. My mileage is messed up on my system and I get way more range with premium. The genesis is made to run on all grades of gas. Low or high, but as always a sports car benefits from 91 or 93 more than low grade.
Interesting, I am going to do a "enthusiast" run to my parents summer house tomorrow. It is 1h 45 minute drive averaging 60mph. Last run with a stock bk2 3.8 I clocked in at 0.9l/100km on regular fuel. This time however, I have brand new 20" wheels and Continental sportcontact 7.
And Eibach lowering springs, 2cm front and 1 cm back.
Sorry for Metric system... but its just better.

See, Now you got FLAK.
Random insults are ok in this thread, we are still all friends!

·
Advenio Pariter
4,054 Posts
You can safely run from 87 octane on up. Lower octane pulls your timing and you lose a bit of power and mileage. I am running 87 in my Veloster N because in Pennsylvania the difference between regular and premium is 60 to 80 cents a gallon so it makes a difference on a fill up. Most of my driving is back roads were power is not the main factor. For the best performance run premium. I notice the "grunt" is not quite there on my VN.

Here is how it works: After X minutes your ECU will bump up your timing one degree toward optimal. Rinse and repeat. If your knock sensor fires it backs off three degrees, or similar. My 1991 Stealth R/T did this, but back then I ran only premium fuel.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Mine's a 2011 3.8 Track.

I always heard running premium ups your mpg. I tried it early on. I really didn't see a difference in mpg between regular and premium and eventually just went to regular.

My car is almost boring in consistency. 21 or 22 mpg in town and 25 mpg on the highway. One time, in 11 years, I got 26 mpg on a road trip. Just that once.

If running premium makes more power my butt dyno can't measure the difference.

I have read that some premium gases are better for your fuel system and engine due to the cleaning additive they contain vs. standard/regular octane gases. Can't confirm the effects, just read it.

Bottom line, for me, is that if you can afford premium and want to run it go ahead. It's your car. Run what you feel is best for it.

·
Advenio Pariter
4,054 Posts
Actually, my nephew flew in on a red-eye to visit Pennsylvania. I got on the highway to the airport in the wee hours of the morning and set my cruise control right on 60 mph. All the way from the freeway on ramp to the airport. I got over 30 mpg. Proof that it is possible. Normal driving....not so much. My Veloster N gets 27 to 30 mpg commuting to work on back roads. 30+ mpg is easy on the highway. Again, driving like the car deserves hits the lower 20's at best. Do you want to save a few bucks or have fun?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And my run to the summerhouse with the new wheels and tires ended up with 8,8 Liters per 100km instead of 9 blank.
I think that is an documented improvment, becase they are wider tires in the front and much wider in the back.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I was (somewhat) disappointed in my highway mpg (25 mpg in cruise control whenever possible) while being pleasantly surprised by my city mpg 21, sometimes 22 mpg while going through the gears between stoplights for more than half the 16 mile (one way) trip.

I believe the later automatic cars (the 8 speed automatic) get much better highway mpg than my 2011 6 speed manual. My car has one overdrive gear. If the Hyundai 8 speed autos are like the BMW version then they have 3 overdrive gears.

At 70 mpg my Coupe is running nearly 3,000 rpm. At the same speed my 435iX is running right at 1900 rpm. Helps gas mileage a lot when the engine rpm is reduced that much.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts