Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
2.0 MT - Shanghai
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've tried to search but did not find a definite answer to this:

Would you recommand a primary cat delete on a stock exhaust and otherwise stock car (just PA tuned)?

I've seen solutions from BR or ATP (ATP publishes a dyno sheet that seems fine).
It seems to be cheap and efficient, while a complete exhaust replacement doesn't seem necessary if you don't REALLY mod the car and if you do not care too much about the sound and looks.

Thanks for advices / experiences!

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
yes, its good mod, but you will NOT see full gains unless you have full exhaust, tune and at least a cai

·
blackbeauty2.0
49 Posts
I think you would definitely feel a decent gain....I had a high flow primary on mine that was 3in and when i switched to the straight pipe(cat-delete), it showed like 15whp gain.....But I also had BR stage 3 and full 3in exhaust so if you are making like 200whp I'd say deleting the primary cat could give you maybe up to 7-8whp. But he's right.. you really need the rest of the exhaust but i would start up front like you....You can get a downpipe for really cheap... i'll sell you mine its a megan and its catless... its not much bigger than stock but then you would have even more free flowing exhaust after the turbo. PM if your interested.

·
2.0 MT - Shanghai
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the answers so far.

From my understanding, the stock exhaust is not very restrictive. The numbers on ATP dyno sheet are 15 whp, here: http://www.atpturbo.com/root/releases/images/release051809/ATP-HGC-002_dyno.gif
It is supposedly with the rest of the exhaust stock. Even if it is only 10. What do you get more if you add the rest of the line? another 10? but for how much more?
I am usually looking for value and I think if it is real, it is a good bang for the buck at 195$.

Regarding the CAI, I prefer to use for now a drop in K&N in the factory airbox. I am concerned about the temperature of the air getting in with a CAI.

It's also interesting because the turbo spools (according to them) 300 rpm earlier, which would satisfy my taste for low end torque.

For the tune, i am not sure if the PA tune will like it or not. I'll ask Arvin to have his opinion but my feeling is that it should be no problem.

@Mortarman: thanks but I need to think about it a little longer and I need to check the cost of shipping it to China as well. Nevertheless, please send me a PM offer for it shipped to orange county as I use a forwarder there.

·
old guy
767 Posts
Thanks for the answers so far.

From my understanding, the stock exhaust is not very restrictive. The numbers on ATP dyno sheet are 15 whp, here: http://www.atpturbo.com/root/releases/images/release051809/ATP-HGC-002_dyno.gif
It is supposedly with the rest of the exhaust stock. Even if it is only 10. What do you get more if you add the rest of the line? another 10? but for how much more?
I am usually looking for value and I think if it is real, it is a good bang for the buck at 195$.

Regarding the CAI, I prefer to use for now a drop in K&N in the factory airbox. I am concerned about the temperature of the air getting in with a CAI.

It's also interesting because the turbo spools (according to them) 300 rpm earlier, which would satisfy my taste for low end torque.

For the tune, i am not sure if the PA tune will like it or not. I'll ask Arvin to have his opinion but my feeling is that it should be no problem.

@Mortarman: thanks but I need to think about it a little longer and I need to check the cost of shipping it to China as well. Nevertheless, please send me a PM offer for it shipped to orange county as I use a forwarder there.
I have the PA tune, and when I got rid of both cats, it made a very noticeable improvement. I was actually getting some intermittent pinging that totally went away with the cats gone.

·
Golden
348 Posts
Does anyone know how to Rid of the CEL other than a reflash?? (already bought PA Tune =\)

·
2.0 MT - Shanghai
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So you get a CEL that you can remove with a reflash? I guess it happens even if you can replace the OEM sensors?

It takes us back to our question, it seems many people have upgrades and run stock exhaust fine, even in some highly debated cases of turbo upgrades.

Bottom line is: you get 10 to 15 whp with a primary cat delete for 200$, it's unbeatble, then I'm in!!!

I won't get the nicer looks, I won't get the nicer sounds, and maybe I'll get a CEL but these are "luxuries" I might want to afford when my finances will be better. It makes sense, does it?

The only question left then is: Is it of any threat to the engine reliability? I don't think so but please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Hyundai Aftermarket
1,468 Posts
1. Do most downpipes that delete the primary cat at least APPEAR to have a cat? We have a visual inspection for a cat, all they have to do is see it.
2. I would presume deleting the primary cat throws a CEL. Does the PA Tune erase this?
3. Will deleting the primary cat and leaving a secondary cat pass a smog test - exhaust sniff test?

I got an AEM CAI and AEM FMIC. For my next purchase I want to grab a downpipe and PA tune.

Edit: Megan Racing downpipes... Version 1 says it bolts onto the stock cat. Version 2 says it deletes the cat with a test pipe. Is it deleting the first cat or the second... or both? I'm confused.
http://www.gctuner.com/Products/Exhaust System/Down Pipes/Megan Racing Ver 1 Down Pipe.aspx

·
2.0 MT - Shanghai
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1. Do most downpipes that delete the primary cat at least APPEAR to have a cat? We have a visual inspection for a cat, all they have to do is see it.
2. I would presume deleting the primary cat throws a CEL. Does the PA Tune erase this?
3. Will deleting the primary cat and leaving a secondary cat pass a smog test - exhaust sniff test?

I got an AEM CAI and AEM FMIC. For my next purchase I want to grab a downpipe and PA tune.

Edit: Megan Racing downpipes... Version 1 says it bolts onto the stock cat. Version 2 says it deletes the cat with a test pipe. Is it deleting the first cat or the second... or both? I'm confused.
Megan Racing Ver. 1 Down Pipe | MR-SSDP-HG0920T | Megan Racing
From my understanding so far:
1. There are downpipes including the cat delete, some are made of one part, some are made of 2 parts: cat delete + the rest of the downpipe (like turboXS)
2. They do, even if the sensors are used, because of some kind of complex calculation system. Apparently, it is possible to remove the CEL with a proper program that ignores it.
3. No precise idea, but it will apparently give better results than no secondary. In my case, I am thinking about deleting primary only but have no real issues with the test. In general, it seems to be a great idea to keep your stock cat in case you have to reinstall it for a test.

Gencoupe forum's "Dinosaurs" advices would be more than welcome to help us, less familiar with available solutions or less prone to understand technical issues, understand it fully. There were a couple threads here and there but nothing really addresses all solutions and issues.

Thanks!

·
blackbeauty2.0
49 Posts

Megan Racing Ver. 1 Down Pipe | MR-SSDP-HG0920T | Megan Racing
About the Megan downpipe it deletes the second,,,, but its still just a one piece downpipe and it does "appear" to have a cat which is good for inspections in some states.
3. No it won't pass the smog test without a primary cat,,, maybe the other way around.
I recommend that you buy the PowerAxel module from beyondredline.com because you can call them and tell them you are doing a primary cat delete and they can program it for your car not to throw a CEL. I doubt they will charge you much if anything at all. I have straight pipe from the turbo all the way back 3" and bigger injectors, upgraded stock turbo, stage 3 tune and I have no CEL or ABS light or anything.

·
2.0 MT - Shanghai
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right, so the best value solution for getting more performance out of an exhaust would be to delete the first cat, then to add a downpipe deleting the second cat. Arvin confirmed this is fully compatible with the PA tune.

Some solutions are in one piece and include the primary cat delete (O2 replacement) and the downpipe (eg. Megan v2) whereas some others are in 2 parts (eg. Megan V1).

I also noted that a 3" solution would be better as it would be compatible with a possible future turbo upgrade.

There was this other thread where TurboXS Stealthpipe is described (this one is a 2 piece package), it seems to be a nice option for the price!

·
blackbeauty2.0
49 Posts
Right, so the best value solution for getting more performance out of an exhaust would be to delete the first cat, then to add a downpipe deleting the second cat. Arvin confirmed this is fully compatible with the PA tune.

Some solutions are in one piece and include the primary cat delete (O2 replacement) and the downpipe (eg. Megan v2) whereas some others are in 2 parts (eg. Megan V1).

I also noted that a 3" solution would be better as it would be compatible with a possible future turbo upgrade.

There was this other thread where TurboXS Stealthpipe is described (this one is a 2 piece package), it seems to be a nice option for the price!
you want 3" exhaust no matter what turbo or what upgrades because it allows the exhaust to flow very freely letting the turbo spool harder and faster

1 - 13 of 13 Posts