Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I just got my 2016 Ultimate a few days ago and I noticed in the Owner's Manual it says, "Your new vehicle is designed to use only unleaded fuel having a pump octane number ((R+M)/2) of 87 or higher. (Do not use methanol blended fuels.)". I have seen a massive amount of people using Premium 91. My question, is 87 fine or should I only use premium gas? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Hey everyone,

I just got my 2016 Ultimate a few days ago and I noticed in the Owner's Manual it says, "Your new vehicle is designed to use only unleaded fuel having a pump octane number ((R+M)/2) of 87 or higher. (Do not use methanol blended fuels.)". I have seen a massive amount of people using Premium 91. My question, is 87 fine or should I only use premium gas? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Running 87 you car will pull timing, so you will have less top end power. So it's up to you, if you want to have more power - premium fuel.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
422 Posts
On my ‘13 the manual said the motor lost peak 4hp on the 87-octane map. My butt dyno can’t tell a 4hp difference, and if anyone tells you they can, they’re probably full of . So if it’s a daily, you’ll never miss the 4 ponies, just make sure you still use quality fuel from a high volume station.

·
Registered
9 Posts
On my ‘13 the manual said the motor lost peak 4hp on the 87-octane map. My butt dyno can’t tell a 4hp difference, and if anyone tells you they can, they’re probably full of . So if it’s a daily, you’ll never miss the 4 ponies, just make sure you still use quality fuel from a high volume station.
I dont know where this 4 hp comes from. I run 93 most of the time 91 or even 87 occasionally, I can tell the difference on my 2014 2.0 T premium. The vehicle will run on 87 fine but has better pickup 0- 60 on higher octane. The reason for never run ethanol or methanol is they burn much hotter and will melt holes in aluminum parts like piston heads and valve will pit. So whatever fuel you decide to run NEVER RUN ALCOHOL BASED FUELS!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts