Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Out Pissing Off cops!
4,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So it's time for another review and this time it's about the PTP Turbo blanket for the Genesis Coupe 2.0T crowd.

Here goes:

Package content:

It came through snail mail, took about 2 weeks to Canada and everything was perfect.

They include the blanket (Black) and wire to tie up the thing around the turbo and a comprehensive spec sheet with maintenance and care instructions.

The blanket itself is really tough, I was surprised of how "Heavy Duty" the sowing and materials felt.

Installation:

Now the challenge was to try and install this around the turbo while it was still in the car.

I prepared the blanket beforehand with some lengths of wire to help me keep it in place while I was tying up the other parts of the blanket as shown in the picture below.

I used about 16 inches for the top left button and about 36 inches for the bottom left one. These will be used to help pull the blanket under and behind the turbo.

The Bottom center one was used to tie up the two buttons in the circle.

The 2 buttons in the red circle need to be tied together before putting the blanket in the car. You just have to tie it up so the 2 tips of the opposing blanket side barely touch. This is to let through a small anchor point for the OEM heat shield, as shown in the next picture. This would have been much easier to tie together that way if I had known beforehand:D.

Then you will need to take both OEM heat shield out by using a 10mm socket wrench and unbolting the 3 screws on each shield.

You'll end up with this, A Naked turbo..!!

Now the fun part. Notice the 2 arrows in the picture above. This is where you need to shimmy the 2 wires we set up before so we can tie this thing. Below is what you should end up with after you pass the 2 wire behind and around the turbo. I just hooked the wire up to the EM bolts while I was trying to place the blanket correctly, See below:

I started with the longest wire (right) and tied it to the button shown by the arrow above.

Then I made sure that the blanket was snug all the way around. The wire on the left was easier to tie since the blanket was holding itself on the turbo at that point. It needs to be tied to the same button as the right wire, so make sure to not twist the first wire around the button too much or you won't be able to safely hook the second wire on there.!

I fiddled around with it a bit more after that to make sure it was tight against the turbo and reinstalled the OEM EM heat shield.

This took about 30-45 minutes to complete with some trial and error.

I then went for a short but sustained ride in ~35*C heat and I tried to touch the blanket and didn't get burnt!! The EM heat shield was freaking hot, so I didn't leave the finger on there, but I can assure you that the blanket is working properly in shielding heat.

Final Words:

I want to say that the communications with people from PTP were very courteous and I would never hesitate to deal with them again.

Also, the product is top notch and the craftsmanship is superb.

For anyone looking to replace the tin foil HS, this is a great alternative to consider.!!

Thank you for reading.

P.S: Small sideline: Another member noticed that there was a small amount of soot that was on the inside face of the Turbo/EM heat shield. Looks like he isn't the only one, see below.

Anyone has any idea as to why? Thanks.

·
If u don't kno, now u kno
1,605 Posts
probably the immense heat burning it

·
Out Pissing Off cops!
4,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
probably the immense heat burning it
Hmm, maybe but that part is where the joint between the EM and turboo is, so I was wondering if the gasket wouldn't be leaking or something...

·
If u don't kno, now u kno
1,605 Posts
wouldn't hurt getting it checked out at the dealer

·
FUNCTION OVER FORM
5,383 Posts
Hmm, maybe but that part is where the joint between the EM and turboo is, so I was wondering if the gasket wouldn't be leaking or something...
GrimmSpeed has a 2X gasket for turbo to DP that may help with this. I plan on using it when going back together with mine.

Thanks for the review & DIY.

·
3.5L TT but wrong body
12,003 Posts
Damn, nice write up man! Good to see it can be installed without removing the turbo!

·
Out Pissing Off cops!
4,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Damn, nice write up man! Good to see it can be installed without removing the turbo!
Yeah I was glad too, didn't want to have to use BRL's replacement Turbo studs that quickly..:D

·
Herpes Free!
1,015 Posts
So, essentially this is a heat shield, right?

·
Sex Machine
1,514 Posts
its a more efficient heat shield. If u want to lower ur heat levels under the hood, this is one piece u'll need.

·
Registered
350 Posts
cant wait till mine gets here...
was looking all over for one of these, when i decide not to upgrade the turbo in size(maybe the BR upgrade ones), and after i took my heatshield off after the cp-e downpipe

·
Sex Machine
1,514 Posts
Mine just came in today and the chrome blanket looks good. Its good to know PTP finally made this for the GC since the CP-e DP gets rid of the stock heat shield.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts

Anyone has any idea as to why? Thanks.
Same exact mark on my heat shield.

I am concerned by a product like this though.
Wouldn't something like this lead to premature turbo failure as it essentially cooks the turbo in its own heat which should be allowed to dissipate?
I would think this would cause the oil/coolant of the car to also increase in temperature as the turbo heat has no other place to go.

Pure speculation of coarse. hopefully someone with an oil temp gauge can tell us what they find before and after this install.

·
Sex Machine
1,514 Posts
I finally installed mine also tonight and I also installed heat wrap around the manifold.

easy install for both products as long as u prep ur stuff before hand.

·
Banned
802 Posts
I ordered one but haven't yet received it... snailmail from Canada to the Caribbean. I noticed MCMONOPOLY:hello: has the oem cat/O2 housing that has 2 screws to hold the heat:mad2: shield in place. I changed mine, lost the two screws, mine's just hanging on with the remaining screw in the turbo housing. Hope the blanket performs as good as yours. Thanks for the write-up. :bowdown:Will follow your advice.:bowdown:

·
Out Pissing Off cops!
4,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I finally installed mine also tonight and I also installed heat wrap around the manifold.

easy install for both products as long as u prep ur stuff before hand.
Looking good man.!

I just got the MAP Heatshield for the EM, I'll post some pics when I get a chance to shoot some.

I like how the Heatwrapped EM looks on your car though.

·
Sex Machine
1,514 Posts
I thought the heat wrap was gonna be a hassle but I was really surprised how simple it turned out to be, considering the room I was working with.

I drove the car hard today to see how much heat is being held in with the blanket+wrap and I can tell u my intake pipe was cold. It's doing its job but I'm still gonna drive it hard again tomorrow for a 2nd test too make sure.

I'll try to get another pic without all that glare from the wrap.

·
Banned
802 Posts
I noticed :hello:Spool2go has the O2 housing w/o cat. You mention adding heat wrap to the manifold. I wrapped my O2 sensor and downpipe all the way down to the flex joint. Try it. Did you mean manifold as where the exhaust gases exit the cylinder head just before reaching the turbo? Can it be/has it been done?

·
Sex Machine
1,514 Posts
I noticed :hello:Spool2go has the O2 housing w/o cat. You mention adding heat wrap to the manifold. I wrapped my O2 sensor and downpipe all the way down to the flex joint. Try it. Did you mean manifold as where the exhaust gases exit the cylinder head just before reaching the turbo? Can it be/has it been done?
I have a high-flow cat on my DP. U can see a little bump in the 2nd pic just after the 1st o2 sensor. But I wont be adding heat wrap to my DP since it's stainless steal and will hold in moisture. Don't want to ruin the welds on my DP.

And yes the manifold just before the turbo. It can be done as u can see in my pic and "yes" it has been done by me :)

·
Out Pissing Off cops!
4,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have a high-flow cat on my DP. U can see a little bump in the 2nd pic just after the 1st o2 sensor. But I wont be adding heat wrap to my DP since it's stainless steal and will hold in moisture. Don't want to ruin the welds on my DP.

And yes the manifold just before the turbo. It can be done as u can see in my pic and "yes" it has been done by me :)
Are you getting CEL's with the DP? I was looking at getting one but with a Hi-Flow cat also.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts