Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Uber Member
255 Posts
Same exact mark on my heat shield.

I am concerned by a product like this though.
Wouldn't something like this lead to premature turbo failure as it essentially cooks the turbo in its own heat which should be allowed to dissipate?
I would think this would cause the oil/coolant of the car to also increase in temperature as the turbo heat has no other place to go.

Pure speculation of coarse. hopefully someone with an oil temp gauge can tell us what they find before and after this install.
having some more info on this would be amazing because im wondering the same thing

·
Sex Machine
1,514 Posts
Are you getting CEL's with the DP? I was looking at getting one but with a Hi-Flow cat also.
Never had a CEL whatsoever with the hi-flow cat. But then again I have a custom tune on my car because the a/f ratio changes when u get rid of the stock emissions stuff.

·
Sex Machine
1,514 Posts
OK as I said here's a better pic of the wrap. It's not that pretty white wrap anymore. 1 cool note is the flange that connects the manifold to the turbo turns bright orange now when I do hard pulls. The wrap is doing its job because my intake is staying nice and cool.

u can see what part of the manifold lets out the most heat

·
3.5L TT but wrong body
12,003 Posts
having some more info on this would be amazing because im wondering the same thing
I'm sure PTP has a much more in depth answer they can provide but my take on it is, since we have water and oil cooled turbos it's a non issue for the most part. If we only had oil cooled turbos it might end up baking the oil on shut down but the water cooled section, since it's still hot, will actually keep the coolant flowing slightly until the thermostat closes, keeping any oil from getting cooked in the turbo.

Heat isn't a turbo's enemy. Ambient heat / high underhood temps is an engines enemy though as the rest of the component will get heat soaked. By trapping in the heat on the turbo you're actually increasing scavenging effect since the exhaust gasses don't cool down as much, giving you better spool times and potentially increased power. By trapping that heat in you're also lowering underhood temps and saving the rest of the engine from heat soak...

·
Out Pissing Off cops!
4,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
OK as I said here's a better pic of the wrap. It's not that pretty white wrap anymore. 1 cool note is the flange that connects the manifold to the turbo turns bright orange now when I do hard pulls. The wrap is doing its job because my intake is staying nice and cool.

u can see what part of the manifold lets out the most heat
Not an expert, but looking at the color change in the heat wrap, we can safely say that the cylinder nearest to the firewall is the hottest one.

When we look at the intake manifold layout and comment made by MSUGeoman, this would confirm the fact that this cylinder is in fact running lean, since from what I read, the leaner the mix, the higher the power, but also the higher the EGTs.

Again I think that the intake is being a culprit in the blown up engines...DeRost's engine had that cylinder imploded/windowed when they took the engine out.

Any thoughts?

·
Banned
802 Posts
I got my 3" catted O2 sensor and dpfrom Ultimate Racing. Very good quality. No CEL. Very pleased. An unexpected bonus: not only the exhaust note changed for the better, (ear candy), my (butt) dyno swears by a good noticeable jump in power.

·
Out Pissing Off cops!
4,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Looking Good MAn!

·
Jedi Master
6,461 Posts
any updates on the blanket after extensive use... just wondering, it's winter and was wondering would the blanket help the car warm up faster being that it's keeping th eheat in, also did anyone compare with a oil/water temp a before blanket/wrapping and after blanket/wrapping?

·
Out Pissing Off cops!
4,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
any updates on the blanket after extensive use... just wondering, it's winter and was wondering would the blanket help the car warm up faster being that it's keeping th eheat in, also did anyone compare with a oil/water temp a before blanket/wrapping and after blanket/wrapping?
I don't drive the car in the winter. But/And I doubt if it affects oil or water temp at all.
The blanket was removed form the original turbo that was on my car, but unfortunately, something attacked the outer silicone layer and it dried up and became brittle, so when I took it off it tore all over.

I think the salt got the better of it. But for the time I had it one there it was ok for the price.

Also I tried contacting PTP about this but never got a reply back.

Since I got refunded for my initial purchase because I did a review, I can't complain at all.

·
Registered
251 Posts
what would be a good manageable way to cool the manifold/turbo down? is there anything that you guys prefer or know that works really well?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey, I see that this thread is pretty old but I've just recieved my turbo blanket and was hoping your post could help me with my installation. Unfortunately I can't see the pictures. It says they are blocked. Is there any way to fix this?

21 - 37 of 37 Posts