Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my fellow 2.0T owners, i’ve been having this problem ever since i got the car about a year ago and i replaced all idler pulleys, the tensioner, new belt, reman power steering, and i just replaced my alternator and nothing still whines like a bitch haha. Anyways i was wondering if you guys have had this problem as well and have any leads as to why it’s making this noise literally it sounds like i have a supercharger. It’s driving me crazy now. Thx

·
Advenio Pariter
4,004 Posts
A whine is usually a bad bearing in the serpentine circuit. I replaced two idler pulleys (different times) due to whine. Cheap and easy. You already replaced them plus other stuff. Take off the belt and manually turn each pulley and see if any feel rough. If they all feel smooth then you should not have any problems. But, obviously you do. You can also listen with a long rod and try to find the source of the noise. I actually have a cheap stethoscope that I use when I am trying to find a noise. Be careful with the rotating machinery!

·
Premium Member
16,356 Posts
Take off the belt and start the engine for like 10~30 seconds.
If no whine, then it is part of the pulley system.
Next would be to turn all the HVAC stuff to off, including fan (will only work with bk1, since the ac pump on bk1 is a clutch type) and not start the engine, but turn the car on.
Turn the ac pulley by hand.
Next do the same with the water pulley. There should also be a weep hole somewhere around the pulley. If its dripping water then that means the water pump bearing is starting to go.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Try one of these.

Amazon.com: The Garnish Gripper Mechanic's Stethoscope Automotive Engine Diagnostic Sensitive Hearing Tool for Cars, Trucks and Motorcycles,Black : Automotive

Put the ends in your ears and the metal tip on the bolt, not the pulley or the belt, but the bolt that holds the pulley on the engine, mount, bracket. Move from one possible source to another. You will hear a clicking/growling kind of noise you cannot hear with just your ears. Used one of these several times over the years to identify which pulley/bearings are the issue. You'll grin, it's kind of wild to hear it and know that's it.

·
Advenio Pariter
4,004 Posts
Try one of these.

Amazon.com: The Garnish Gripper Mechanic's Stethoscope Automotive Engine Diagnostic Sensitive Hearing Tool for Cars, Trucks and Motorcycles,Black : Automotive

Put the ends in your ears and the metal tip on the bolt, not the pulley or the belt, but the bolt that holds the pulley on the engine, mount, bracket. Move from one possible source to another. You will hear a clicking/growling kind of noise you cannot hear with just your ears. Used one of these several times over the years to identify which pulley/bearings are the issue. You'll grin, it's kind of wild to hear it and know that's it.
I think that is exactly the one I have. I do not use it very often, but when I do it is gold!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i used the stethoscope that you posted thank you very much that came in real handy. The sounds seems to become more apparent from the belt tensioner maybe behind the tensioner there’s a component that’s making the noise? i’m not sure but the sound is coming from there.

·
Premium Member
16,356 Posts
i used the stethoscope that you posted thank you very much that came in real handy. The sounds seems to become more apparent from the belt tensioner maybe behind the tensioner there’s a component that’s making the noise? i’m not sure but the sound is coming from there.
I'll have to check on my spare engine, IIRC the actual pulley on the tensioner is the same all the other pulleys.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not intending on hijacking this thread, but there's clearly some knowledgeable people here already talking about noises. If it's better to create a new post, just say so and I won't be offended. I've got a 2016 base with manual transmission (49k miles, if that matters). All sounds good on cold start, but after driving for a bit, I'll hear what sounds like a loose rattle with a little whine when the transmission is in neutral and my foot is off the clutch. With the clutch in (and tranny still in neutral), the sound goes away. It also sounds like it's coming from the cabin side of the engine, not up front where the belt is. From some research and reading, I'm a bit worried this is a flywheel issue but holding out hope that it's something simpler to address. Any thoughts? Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts