Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
wag um
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm planning on buying a Type-D soon and I was wondering what are your experiences with the paint quality of the vendors here. I'm pretty type A soo... yeah. :rofl:

A few things to consider are:
1) Was the paint quality on par with the quality you would get from a good paint shop?
2) Did the paint job closely match the OEM paint job and finish or was it way off (please consider the amount of fade on your car over time)?
3) Were there blemishes in your paint and were they obvious?
4) How did the paint job hold up after XXX months/miles of use?
5) Thinking back, would you just have brought it to your local paint shop?

Oh and please identify which vendor it was from. NOTE: THIS IS SPECIFICALLY REGARDING PRE-PAINTED PARTS, NOT A SERVICE TO GET PARTS PAINTED.

To keep things clean, I would recommend vendors abstain from this discussion, and that people replying should try to keep any criticism constructive.

I've seen some random notes here and there about things like this, but I'd like to see feedback put into one thread for a certain subject.

Thanks all.

·
-------------------------
1,795 Posts
Typically, vendors don't paint parts. They send it out to an autobody shop to get painted before sending it out to the customer.

What you're going to want to do is check around your area for a decent Automotive Collision Repair shop or a Custom Automotive paint shop.

You can get a professional color match and finish on your aftermarket parts from places like this in your area.

But if you're referring to the parts you buy pre-painted, then someone else is going to have to chime in on that. I don't have any pre-painted parts from vendors on this site.

·
wag um
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah yeah, I'm talking about pre-painted parts, sorry if that wasn't clear. I'll add a note to the OP.

·
-------------------------
1,795 Posts
No, I'm pretty sure that was my bad. Sometimes when I bouncing through a bunch of threads, I skim a little too fast.

Hope you get the info you're looking for :)

·
Registered
651 Posts
I am interested in some feedback on this also ad I am considering some prepainted parts.

·
Premium Member
9,859 Posts
The quality tends to be good, but really it's better just to have it painted yourself. Main reason for that is most of these parts come from Korea so theres a good chance for the paint to be damaged in shipping.

·
wag um
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I figured as much. Now to just find a vendor that has a Type-D in stock in the states.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I got my Type D from SFR. It was shipped from Korea. The paint quality on the grille is really good. It was wrapped and package securely.

Good luck to you if you are 100% convinced that you will only buy from a vendor who have them in stock in the states. Otherwise, SFR is a safe bet.

·
wag um
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haha I just didn't want to wait so long for it to get here. Does SFR guarantee against damage in shipping? I've gotten some awful rubbed parts before (not from SFR, for my Subie).

·
Work in Progress
6,496 Posts
I'm pretty sure that SFR does NOT offer an pre-painted services with the exception of the M&S grill group buy that was offered up a while ago. To be honest I don't that many of the vendors here offer pre-painted services. I know Mike from Importshark can get you some options at a local shop he uses or if it's shipping from Korea he has a shop there. My KDM mirrors were painted in his shop in Korea and shipped to me and arrived well packaged.

KAI also has a few pre-painted options but I can't speak to the quality as I usually paint my own parts because 99 out of 100 times the fiberglass is going to need some sort of prep work.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I'm pretty sure that SFR does NOT offer an pre-painted services with the exception of the M&S grill group buy that was offered up a while ago. To be honest I don't that many of the vendors here offer pre-painted services. I know Mike from Importshark can get you some options at a local shop he uses or if it's shipping from Korea he has a shop there.
Got my Luxon pre-painted from SFR and all was well :dunno:

·
Registered
8,244 Posts
We do offer all pre-painted options for smaller items such as spoilers/grilles/etc.
Only reason is bigger pieces like lips or front/rear bumpers or sideskirts need to be painted when bodyshop sees the car in person just to get the perfect paint match.
Even though they use factory paint code, most of time they can't match it perfectly because of the clear coats or pearls on it.
We always suggest our customers to take the bigger pieces to bodyshop and this is one of the reasons why we don't offer any prepainted options on them.

·
Registered
196 Posts
My BBM spoiler color matched perfectly, and the quality was of paint is excellent.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Ordered a grill from importshark, so we shall see.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts