1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello comrades, Having a slight issue:

So I have the 2010 3.8 auto and only use sport mode

About 30 minutes ago, I was cruising at like 40 mph
when a BMW Z4 cuts me off and seems to want a race..

I push the pedal to the floor for a good 4 seconds, and as usual
the gears shift back to 3rd and then to 4th.

I know he had V8 but with My tuned ECU, Cat back exhaust, CAI, I felt I had a chance on his stock.
However, I noticed quite a bit of lag with acceleration even with ESC off on the first and second pedal to the floor attempts, leaving me way behind the Z4..

and then when I toned it down and tried to accelerate hard again to the floor,
acceleration lagged completely and was like a freaking slow turtle. My exhaust system was screaming too.
No CEL came on at all so I dont think its electrical

I have heard of acceleration issues alot! with this car BUT

Could this be a valve or piston issue being that I floored the pedal too hard??
or is this strictly a computer cutting off power for some reason??

Do I need to have my hyundai mechanics look at the pistons and valves?

I am not sure if this is a computer problem or did I physically F**K something up??

·
GCMafia
3,442 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
was the car completely warmed up? I think if the oil isnt up to temp, you wont get full power

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Razz77, its been cold today and I was driving slow for like 10 minutes until Z4 drove up.. Maybe oil was not up to temp like you say, I hope thats the case!!

@azgencoupe

It could be the tranny because I had the wrong fluid in there for the last 25K miles!

I replaced it last monday with the hyundai special formula that the ZF tranny uses

What happens when the Tranny slips?

·
GCMafia
3,442 Posts
@azgencoupe

It could be the tranny because I had the wrong fluid in there for the last 25K miles!

I replaced it last monday with the hyundai special formula that the ZF tranny uses

What happens when the Tranny slips?
How did the wrong fluid get in there?
And what u described is what happened when ur tranny slips. Where the car revs up but doesn't really seem to move.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
711 Posts
10 Mins...IDK that might be long enough. I normally let mine sit and run for 10-15 mins before i take it out. Ive also got 70k on mine and i think ive experienced the same feeling before that you just did (car falls on its face).

·
Take 'em Fei!
9,280 Posts
Even though no CEL was thrown, try pulling codes anyway. It sounds it second possibility is limp mode. If the trans is slipping, its going to keep doing it not just sporadically. If so, you need to warranty that asap before it grenades the entire tranny.

+1 to how did you have the wrong fluid?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a tranny flush done by hyundai in Miami at 12,000 miles (I know super early).
I guess they must have used the wrong fluid. My new hyundai dealership in Brandon Florida are really good mechanics and let me watch them work on my car so the guy let me smell both fluids.. Totally different aroma meaning not the same fluid.

He said the ZF tranny takes a special blended fluid that only Hyundai carries for the Genesis 3.8 automatic specifically..

It does happen sporadically cuz it happened a couple other times in the past but this was the worst lag.. is that a different problem or is that the tranny slipping as well?

·
Reader of many threads
1,424 Posts
K, first, BMW Z4 only has an Inline-6.... so salt in your wounds there bra.

Now there's gonna be some BMW dick rolling around thinking he's faster than our V6s.

THANKS! :p

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
K, first, BMW Z4 only has an Inline-6.... so salt in your wounds there bra.

Now there's gonna be some BMW dick rolling around thinking he's faster than our V6s.

THANKS! :p
Damnit you beat me to it! was gonna mention the Z4 is only an inline 6

·
Wannabe Track Junky
883 Posts
What do you mean by "lag in acceleration"?

Were your RPM's INCREASING quickly while speed stayed the same? If so, transmission is slipping.

Or did your car just feel really slow and exhaust is loud? If so, then it's just because the car's not warmed up fully yet and so the ECU pulls (retards) spark timing. This causes a pretty severe loss of power, but your exhaust will sound a bit louder (basically, explosions in your cylinders are happening sooner in time to the exhaust valves opening).

Hell, I was just having some fun at a stop light the other day with a friend in his 2013 Fusion, and my car wasn't fully warmed up so even though I nearly floored it off the line, he was keeping up perfectly with me. If you want full power, you gotta wait until the car's fully warmed up.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What do you mean by "lag in acceleration"?

Hell, I was just having some fun at a stop light the other day with a friend in his 2013 Fusion, and my car wasn't fully warmed up so even though I nearly floored it off the line, he was keeping up perfectly with me. If you want full power, you gotta wait until the car's fully warmed up.
I think this is exactly what happened.. Now its driving great.. It was the change in fluid, needed extra warming cuz I changed it a week prior to this incident..

Thanks everyone for the tips

·
never use only drop once!
2,746 Posts
And just an FYI....your piston and valve timing is purely mechanical...It doesn't matter if the car is warm or cold or pissed at you. As long as everything is connected right it ain't gonna change. If it was a problem with your block...you'd know it. :)

Check out "Suck Squish Bang Blow" if you want a really well written tear down of how an engine works.

MotoIQ - Automotive Tech, Project Cars, Performance & Motorsports

·
Registered
49 Posts
heww nice

1 - 15 of 15 Posts