Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm in the process of taking the engine out of the car and was wondering how I would need to go about separating the engine from the manual transmission without removing the transmission if possible. I've read the garage manual and it only talks about removing the transmission and nothing about removing the engine. At least from what I've seen. Also, would I have to drain the trans fluid if I were to just take the engine out?

·
Premium Member
16,144 Posts
support the front of the transmission.

unbolt the bell housing from the engine block.

and then there's the other things that need to be done to remove the engine.

pull engine.

There's nothing really holding the engine and trans together, besides the trans housing bolts, guide dowels , input shaft, and friction.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
support the front of the transmission.

unbolt the bell housing from the engine block.

and then there's the other things that need to be done to remove the engine.

pull engine.

There's nothing really holding the engine and trans together, besides the trans housing bolts, guide dowels , input shaft, and friction.
Alright. I already have everything off that you said. Do you know if the trans oil would need to be drained? And I have the radiator out, but I still have the front beam that's connected to the control arms. Do you think there would be enough clearance for the engine to come out? https://imgur.com/a/LySaB

·
Premium Member
16,144 Posts
Alright. I already have everything off that you said. Do you know if the trans oil would need to be drained? And I have the radiator out, but I still have the front beam that's connected to the control arms. Do you think there would be enough clearance for the engine to come out? https://imgur.com/a/LySaB
draining the motor oil will make things a lot easier/less messy.

Do you not have an engine hoist?
What are you using to pull the motor?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
draining the motor oil will make things a lot easier/less messy.

Do you not have an engine hoist?
What are you using to pull the motor?
I've drained all the fluids. I do have an engine hoist and mount. I found the page in the manual about taking the engine out and it calls for taking the trans out with the engine so I'm just going to follow that since trying to take the engine out by itself didn't work :p.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Engine & trans together if you're coming out the bottom, along with the sub-frame.
Engine alone comes out the top, sub-frame stays in the car. This requires you release the motor mounts from between the engine and sub-frame.

I'd suggest you ask someone with experience to stop by and look things over.

Side note, the manual gives the method that costs the least for warranty purposes, not the easiest way for the home gamer.

·
Premium Member
16,144 Posts
Engine & trans together if you're coming out the bottom, along with the sub-frame.
Engine alone comes out the top, sub-frame stays in the car. This requires you release the motor mounts from between the engine and sub-frame.

I'd suggest you ask someone with experience to stop by and look things over.

Side note, the manual gives the method that costs the least for warranty purposes, not the easiest way for the home gamer.
It's easier than removing it from an auto trans.
On the auto, you need to remove the bolts from the torque converter before pulling the engine,
Which is basically the same as removing the pressure plate bolts from the flywheel, but the torque converter bolts face towards the front of the car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts