Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this has ever been addressed or asked, however, with regards to the aftermarket underdrvien race crank pulleys seen on many vendor sites and/or eBay -

Don't these pulleys need to be "weighted" to properly match the engine's internal rotating assembly?

I know for a fact with most other performance vehicles, what is normally the crank pulley (or commonly referred to as the harmonic balancer), these are normally counterweighted for the same weight as the flywheel (or flex plate) and if replacing with an aftermarket, the aftermarket piece needs to be the same weight as the original.

Are the GC's crank pulleys weighted at all - and if so, what is their factory weight specs?

For instance on a Mustang 5.0, the crank pulley is a 50oz pulley. If replacing with an aftermarket race crank pulley, the owner would replace with the same weight as the stocker (50oz) so as not to throw off the balance of the rotating assembly (which would be bad if replaced w/ a different weighted balancer).

Maybe someone can elighten me as to how the GC's rotating assemblies are balanced?

·
In Charge of Snacks
2,109 Posts
IDK, Man. That reasoning doesn't make any sense. If it was a mass thing then it would stand to reason that the pulley would need to be the same weight AND dimensions. I.e. to mirror the MOI of the flywheel. A ten pound disc takes more energy to spin than a ten pound rod. If it's the load that needs to be balanced on both ends then the accessories would need to draw as much as much power as the drivetrain...

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Yup. i wouldn't touch one of these things with a 12 foot belt. There's 213433443234234234 better ways to make power.

·
In Charge of Snacks
2,109 Posts
Yup. i wouldn't touch one of these things with a 12 foot belt. There's 213433443234234234 better ways to make power.
Two hundred thirteen quadrillion four hundred thirty three trillion four hundred forty three billion two hundred thirty four million two hundred thirty four thousand two hundred thirty four ways to make more power? Must have taken a long time to count them all...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts