Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
2.0 MT - Shanghai
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I was researching on Internet and in the forum and couldn't find much information on if somebody has ever fitted DOT-R tires to the car.

I have stock 18's, want to stay 18's and would like to find nice semi slick tires to be used on the road and at the track like Michelin pilot sport cup, Yokohama A048, Yokohama A032R, Bridgestone RE055S, etc...

Do you have any advice?
Has anybody tried that? What brand/size?

Thanks!

·
2.0 MT - Shanghai
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump!

I am surprised not to get more answers:

If there is ONE performance mod that will get you better G's on the skipad, better braking distance, better acceleration times, it is fitting tires with a better grip. At the end of the day, whatever big brake kit you get, how many HP and torque you have under the hood and what stiffer suspension, it all comes down to this one thing that sits between the car and the road: the tires!
This is the real thing grasping seconds in a lap. So what!!!

Maybe we all lost sense of our priorities, because there are many more mods looking cool or maybe we don't want to spend money on rubber while we can spend it on other stuff or we might just have become victims of too much marketing, or we want to look extreme but not really live it in using no (small) compromise tires.

Now from my first quick researches, there is nothing available in the OEM 18" size. This means changing rims (not for the looks, for a useful purpose which would be weight and finding a suitable size with available semi-slick tires). The size 275/40 18 rear and 245/40 18 front would be perfect but I did not have time yet to check if there are available r tires in those.

BRING IT ON!

·
FUNCTION OVER FORM
5,383 Posts
You won't find much on this site about R-Compound tires due to most folks on this site not tracking their vehicles & R-Compounds are usually preserved for track purpose built cars anywho. I personally wouldn't run R-Compound tires on the street ever, but if you are looking for something very near R-Compound that are streetable, the Hankook RS3s I'm running are awesome. Their tread wear rating is only 140, so they are sticky as hell once heated up & actually perform decently in the rain. Nitto NT05s are comparable with a 280 tread wear rating & do even better in the rain, but not quite as sticky IMO.

If you are dead set on R-Compounds, I would recommend either Hoosiers or Toyos.

Hope that helps.

·
Out Pissing Off cops!
4,572 Posts
Are you talking about Track tires, or running daily R compounds?

R compound Tires won't last you if you DD them, thus a waste of money.

Also running almost threadless tires in rain is plain stupid, so again not a wise choice for Daily Driving

If you're talking about a dedicated track setup, I'm planning on running a set of Stock spec'ed lightweight 18" Rims with 225/40/18F and 245/40/18R for the track.

I'm looking @ Nitto Nt01's, which got nice reviews, and were compared to Toyo R888's, but cost about 1/3 less than the R888's.

The added grip will help when exiting corners, that's for sure, but mind that I tracked the OEM 19's and they weren't that bad, they only downside is that they got worn out pretty fast.

Also, keep in mind that I wasn't able to lock(ABS) the front brakes on dry pavement with the stock Potenza's, and that was running upgraded race brake pads. So the OEM 19's tires are definitely not that bad.

Sine you have stock 18's, I can't comment on those, but I had the chance of meeting another GC owner who had stock 18's @ the track and he didn't complain at all, the car was a bit slower, but it was only because he was still stock, and I'm not.

·
Out Pissing Off cops!
4,572 Posts
You won't find much on this site about R-Compound tires due to most folks on this site not tracking their vehicles & R-Compounds are usually preserved for track purpose built cars anywho. I personally wouldn't run R-Compound tires on the street ever, but if you are looking for something very near R-Compound that are streetable, the Hankook RS3s I'm running are awesome. Their tread wear rating is only 140, so they are sticky as hell once heated up & actually perform decently in the rain. Nitto NT05s are comparable with a 280 tread wear rating & do even better in the rain, but not quite as sticky IMO.

If you are dead set on R-Compounds, I would recommend either Hoosiers or Toyos.

Hope that helps.
^^:rofl: Dude if only I didn't take as long to post...LOL

·
FUNCTION OVER FORM
5,383 Posts
^^:rofl: Dude if only I didn't take as long to post...LOL
I know you are right there beside me everytime & 1/2 time you come out on top...Lolz :rofl:

·
2.0 MT - Shanghai
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the answers. Yes, I am talking about DOT-R, so to be used on the street. For example the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup comes OEM on Porsche 911 GT2 and 3 and on BMW M3 (or at least it did on CSL's) so it is also designed for street use, even if it doesn't last long 80 AA A, but they don't come on the right size apparently :wtc:

I guess it depends on your annual mileage. I walk to my office so...
Again everybody uses their car for different purpose but high performance on the street can be nice too, it can also be an extra safety because shortening your braking distance 10 feet can be in some situations the difference between life and death, plus you don't have to race or exceed speed limit to take G's in corners :D

Now I agree that if you can afford it and do enough track day each year, it is a good idea to have a dedicated set but this removes the fun of having the pleasure of using sticky tires every time you take your Gen out... I have to say I am not a big fan of the RE050A, I had Conti sportcontact on my previous car and somehow got a better feeling with it even if the RE050A is supposed to be softer.

·
FUNCTION OVER FORM
5,383 Posts
Just don't drive on rainy days & warm the tires up good before you start pushing the car on the street & you should be fine.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Just to be clear, if you run R compounds on a DD the heat cycles will make them worse than a more streetable tire in no time. Therefore they would be a waste of money. So you need to plan on a spare set of rims just for tracks days. And probably a very little trailer to carry a floor jack and tools to swap out once you arrive at the track if you are going to drive the car there.

On the stock 19's, I had heard a lot of complaints about them but found them to work reasonably well. They are very predicable and they warm up very fast. I damaged a stock front tire so I upgraded the front pair to Hankook V12s which fair very well in many measures of street performance. (i.e. weight, wet and dry traction, noise, and cost) Although they push quite badly when cold (much worse than the stock 'stones) they definitely have a bit more bite once up to temp and now the rear is coming out well before the front. If I lived in a place where it was colder a good part of the year than it is in TX I would actually prefer the OEM rubber.

At this point, I just need/ want wider rims as I'm finding my car loose absolutely everywhere in the canyons no matter how smooth and controlled I drive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts