Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Black Pearl Project
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting the R2C intake and I wonder if that cover tray that goes behind/under the intake is functional??? Is it supposed cover the intake form what? Wouldn't the filter have more space to breathe without that cover around it??? Also would it be little louder without that thing dulling the sound? Also whats the deal with that charcoal filter or what not , what is it??

·
Black 3.8GT
455 Posts
^It attaches to the OEM intake scoop so it pulls air from there. Also shields it from engine bay heat a bit maybe.

·
Driving Enthusiast
102 Posts
That piece is referred to as a heat shield and does what its name implies, shield engine bay heat from the intake. It also connects to the RAM air vent to draw ambient air from outside the engine bay.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Reader of many threads
1,424 Posts
I'm getting the R2C intake and I wonder if that cover tray that goes behind/under the intake is functional???
Yes, it shields hot air from entering the intake, effectively helping lower IATs. It also retains use of the ram-air system to continuously supply the intake with fresh air instead of under-hood hot air.

Is it supposed cover the intake form what?
Heat and it does a pretty darn good job at keeping it dry and it holds the system in place. Without it, you will hear the filter tapping on your wheel well.

Wouldn't the filter have more space to breathe without that cover around it???
It's not a vaccuum seal, there is a TON of air for it to breathe. There is no restriction to the engine, intake, throttle body, etc. from the positioning of the system or the shield.

Also would it be little louder without that thing dulling the sound?
If you got a cold-air intake, it would be covered by a front wheel, and you'd just hear it bouncing off the ground. The R2C is a bit louder from in front of the car. You still hear plenty of induction sound in the cabin.

Also whats the deal with that charcoal filter or what not , what is it??
The filter is a cleanable element that just needs to be blown out with compressed air once in a while. It does not need to be replaced. It breathes quite well when it's clean.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts