Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a comment about this in one of my previous threads. Decided to make a new thread because it's happening more often.
2011 2.0T Base w/ key start. No immobilizer.

Instead of trying to explain it through text, I just made a video showing the issue.
https://youtu.be/VTi9udea1WQ

Some things to note that aren't mentioned in the video:
-It always starts when I leave in the morning. Fires right up no issue after sitting overnight.
-Sometimes it starts when I take lunch, sometimes it doesn't. Same when I leave to go home.
-Some days it starts every time no issue.
-Sometimes it takes 2 tries, sometimes it takes 5 minutes.
-I don't drive any different, park any different, or do anything different that would cause the randomness of the issue.
-The starter never clicks or anything. When it does finally engage, it turns over in 2-3 cranks like normal.
-It allows starts...eventually.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Have you checked the wiring to the starter , a possible loose connection would be a place to start . Or could just be the starter is finished .

·
Premium Member
16,124 Posts
Bad clutch pedal and/or brake pedal sensor. It's been a know issue since 2010.

easy enough to replace.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

easy enough to replace.
I did search the forums and I figured that may be it. Wasn't sure since most of the time when it does this, I don't even touch the brake pedal and it randomly works. I'll go pick it up from a dealer and let you know if that fixes it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

easy enough to replace.
I replaced the brake switch a while ago, and it had no effect. The issue is starting to happen more frequently, just about every time I go to drive it. It still always starts *knock on wood* after turning the key from on to start until the starter finally works.

I'm guessing the starter is on it's way out.

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,435 Posts
I'd guess the ignition switch or the starter relay. If you think it's the starter then you need to see if there is 12v at the starter when it is failing to crank.

You can jumper the starter relay with a short stout piece of wire between the 30 and 87 terminals and the key on and it will bypass all the other switches. Be sure it is in neutral when you do this.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd guess the ignition switch or the starter relay. If you think it's the starter then you need to see if there is 12v at the starter when it is failing to crank.

You can jumper the starter relay with a short stout piece of wire between the 30 and 87 terminals and the key on and it will bypass all the other switches. Be sure it is in neutral when you do this.
True. The ignition switch works because when you turn it to start the lights/radio/fan all turn off. There's a relay click behind the instrument cluster when you turn it to start, but I doubt that's the starter relay.

Isn't the starter a PITA to replace on GC 2.0s?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After this becoming worse to the point I let the car sit, I took it in and it ended up being the ignition starter switch.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That was short lived. It was fine for a day and a half, but started doing the exact same thing -- nothing happens when the key is in the start position. I did notice, it's not as frequent as it was before it took it in, and it doesn't take as many tries before it actually starts.

It's very hard to duplicate. This morning when I left for work, it took about ~10 turns of the key for it to work. The 4-5 times I drove it so far today, it started up first try, no issue.

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,435 Posts
Is this a manual trans?

The starter on the BK1 2L needs to have the motor mount removed on that side because the bolts are too long IIRC. The BK2 starter will work and is shorter.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is this a manual trans?

The starter on the BK1 2L needs to have the motor mount removed on that side because the bolts are too long IIRC. The BK2 starter will work and is shorter.
Auto. You think the starter could be the issue? When it does finally start, it fires up in 2 cranks and sounds completely fine.

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,435 Posts
Not really. There are too many things between the key and starter to say so.

When it doesn't start and the key is on are all the dash lights, headlights, radio etc working?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not really. There are too many things between the key and starter to say so.

When it doesn't start and the key is on are all the dash lights, headlights, radio etc working?
Yes sir. Everything works. Headlights, blower motor, radio, dash lights. Brake switch, start relay, and the ignition starter switch are new.

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,435 Posts
You can jumper the starter relay and see if the starter works. You can do this without the key and with the engine off. You need a short loop of 14 ga wire with flat spade terminals on it and a clamp on the other end like this.

In the LH engine fuse box with the starter relay removed from the fuse box, look at the bottom of the relay and look for the #87 leg. Figure out where it is in the fuse box. Stick the spade terminal in #87 and touch the clamp to one of the bare nuts holding down the cables for the fuse box. This should make the starter spin.

If it does spin, then turn on the key and hold the brake pedal down with the trans in park and see if when you spin the starter with the jumper wire, if the engine starts.

Then you can go one to further testing.

BTW terminal #30 in the fuse box for the relay should be always 12v hot.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Just a note.. it MAY be brushes in the starter motor it self
had that on my older BMW - first it started to have sporadic no start and then completely dead - the brushes were just su used up there was no contact.

Do as Red Raspberry says start checking from the starter side and work your way up to the relays

·
Registered
331 Posts
Check the brake light switch, if it's good, the rear brakes light up when you press the brake pedal. If that's not it, it could be a sticking starter solenoid or a bad starter relay. Change out the relay, it's only a few bucks, but if it continues it's the starter solenoid. Hyundai starters and alternators are really well made but nothing last forever. I just changed the starter in my 2007 Santa Fe Limited because the solenoid was sticking and this exact problem was happening. My 2006 Sonata still has the stock starter and that's fine. As for the alternator, I just changed it on the 2006 Sonata and the 2007 Santa Fe was changed when they did the recall for the front valve cover gasket, but it was still good, the recall required them to change it.

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,435 Posts
Good to know.

FWIW on the BK1 2L the motor mount needs to be removed so the starter bolts can be removed completely. The BK2 starter will work and is a bit shorter so you can use shorter bolts.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts