Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulled my plugs today. They're feelin sus. Car hasn't been driving terrible, but not great either. And getting some black smoke out of the exhaust under WOT.

PROLOGUE: Performance Mods - SFR canned tune, custom catback with mid cat delete and throttle controller. That's it.

I run 93 all the time with the reflash.

Thought maybe I needed to check my plug gap. I replaced them right after I got the car around 100k miles. We're at 117k now. I gapped them to manufacturer specs, .044. Having had the car awhile and browsing the forums, I've seen more than a few people run around .036. So, I thought with the tune, maybe gapping slightly smaller might help the performance. Considering, black smoke can be a rich condition.

No CEL's.

Any thoughts?

Top is driver side (right to left, front to back). Bottom is passenger.

Thanks for any insights.

·
Premium Member
16,120 Posts
top right looks a little lean to me.
Maybe timing chain needs to be replaced?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Pulled my plugs today. They're feelin sus. Car hasn't been driving terrible, but not great either. And getting some black smoke out of the exhaust under WOT.

PROLOGUE: Performance Mods - SFR canned tune, custom catback with mid cat delete and throttle controller. That's it.

I run 93 all the time with the reflash.

Thought maybe I needed to check my plug gap. I replaced them right after I got the car around 100k miles. We're at 117k now. I gapped them to manufacturer specs, .044. Having had the car awhile and browsing the forums, I've seen more than a few people run around .036. So, I thought with the tune, maybe gapping slightly smaller might help the performance. Considering, black smoke can be a rich condition.

No CEL's.

Any thoughts?

View attachment 77462

Top is driver side (right to left, front to back). Bottom is passenger.

Thanks for any insights.
Change your plugs, gap .036 and get a custom tune.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts