Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so it was a regular day and I was driving normally when the red engine oil light flashed very briefly for a split second. This doesn't happen all the time but the intervals could be unnoticeable because I dont glance down at the gauge cluster all the time. Last time the oil was changed by the dealer was at 2600mi, currently @ 8000mi. Any ideas?

·
FS section ravager
2,183 Posts
You should probably change the oil it's overdue...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Unless he is a V6

"7200 miles or 12-months, whichever comes first" -Snoopy

Change the oil, if its still on, its the oil pressure sensor (cheap part generally) if its still going on somethings wrong.

·
Hammer lane Hero
5,712 Posts
Stupid question, but did you try pulling the dipstick to make sure you're not actually low on oil?

sent from my not-so-smartphone

·
Registered
616 Posts
yeah, my Elantra would do that when my oil was low enough to only light up when i took off at a light or turned too hard.

check your levels, naow!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked the oil levels, everything looks good.

I have a 2.0T which should be every 5000. Busy with work and about 400 miles overdue. I need to change the oil ASAP. I was just worried that it flashes on randomly.

·
Korean Asswhoopin
1,228 Posts
3500 MILES! Don't listen to the hyundai designations, just do 3500 miles, if you saw the oil everyday like I do, you would change it more often.

·
FS section ravager
2,183 Posts
I checked the oil levels, everything looks good.

I have a 2.0T which should be every 5000. Busy with work and about 400 miles overdue. I need to change the oil ASAP. I was just worried that it flashes on randomly.
I believe there was a service bulletin that changed that to 3750, so your actually way over.

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
It's 3000~4000 miles on conventional oil

5000~7000 miles for synthetic.

colder/harsher weather climates, it's on the lower side of those numbers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I knew their 5000 suggestion seemed to be a lil too much! Time to invest in jackstands and start changing my own oil. Thanks fellas. You've been great help.

·
Hammer lane Hero
5,712 Posts
Every car I've ever owned:

-Full synthetic
-wix filters
-change oil every 10,000km (6,210mi.)

Never had a motor problem in any of them, and they all saw well into the 300k range before they were retired for other issues, and burned maybe a litre of oil between changes at the end.

·
240SX turned GC
1,176 Posts
currently @ 8000mi. Any ideas?

I have a 2.0T which should be every 5000. Busy with work and about 400 miles overdue.

8000-5000 Does not equal 400 dude, thats 3000 miles overdue, especially your first oil change, that basically helps breaking in the motor and smoothing stuff out. I would change it before you do irreparable damage to the thing if you havent already....

·
Registered
133 Posts
Says 3750 in the maintenance guide. I do mine at 3k with syn. As it is already pretty dark by then. I know I could go further being synthetic, but oh well.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
The light coming on is not normal, there might be an oil pressure problem if it is not low on the dip stick. I would have it checked out.

What service bulletin?

Owner's manual says 5k miles (first oil change at 3k)

As for the one poster said by looking at oil he would do it at 3.5k looking at oil has nothing to do with it having to be replaced.

·
Hammer lane Hero
5,712 Posts
Says 3750 in the maintenance guide. I do mine at 3k with syn. As it is already pretty dark by then. I know I could go further being synthetic, but oh well.
These cars are like the diesels I work on, you could pour fresh oil in, start it for 30 seconds, and drain it again the oil will come out dark. Nature of the beast.

sent from my not-so-smartphone

·
Mackin' Cheez
483 Posts
It's a turbo car, change the damn oil if you want it to last.

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
see if there is a connector loose on a sensor.

if I had to guess which one, it's the one on the location where the oil filter screws onto

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Let's not start another oil debate.

Owner's manual:

Replace engine oil and filter (For 2.0L engine)
At first, replace at 3,000 miles (5,000 km) or 6 months, after
that, every 5,000 miles (8,000 km) or 6 months.

·
FS section ravager
2,183 Posts
Let's not start another oil debate.

Owner's manual:

Replace engine oil and filter (For 2.0L engine)
At first, replace at 3,000 miles (5,000 km) or 6 months, after
that, every 5,000 miles (8,000 km) or 6 months.
That was changed from a service bulletin to 3750 no matter the time.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts