Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remember when the GC was just a Concept....?

Remember when the Genesis Coupe was merely a Concept vehicle? For those that don't remember or never saw it in Concept form, check out the below link which has some cool pics & video:

LA 2007: Liveblogging Hyundai Concept Genesis Coupe reveal at 5:30 PM EST — Autoblog

I wish Hyundai would have carried over and kept the lower rear brake duct "C-vents" on the sides in the production models. Has any aftermarket corp. developed any such functional side rear vents yet for these?

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts

This is really the first one that it was based on. This is the car that had me tell my wife "I will own this if Hyundai ever makes it" and now I do!

·
GCMafia
3,442 Posts
I was in Afghanistan deployed when I first saw it it was love at first sight! I got it two weeks after I got back from that deployment

·
DJAC Vice President
1,472 Posts
HCD8 <3

I seriously loved that friggin' concept. I have a poster of it, which is not hung up only because yellow clashes horribly with my bedroom.

I do however have a coupe poster (when they finally figured out what it could look like) from the Philly Auto Show 2007. It's double-sided and awesome. :)

·
FUNCTION OVER FORM
5,383 Posts
Remember when the Genesis Coupe was merely a Concept vehicle? For those that don't remember or never saw it in Concept form, check out the below link which has some cool pics & video:

LA 2007: Liveblogging Hyundai Concept Genesis Coupe reveal at 5:30 PM EST — Autoblog

I wish Hyundai would have carried over and kept the lower rear brake duct "C-vents" on the sides in the production models. Has any aftermarket corp. developed any such functional side rear vents yet for these?
I remember alright, I had heard rumors before most of the public about the sedan & then the coupe due to my affiliation with Hyundai. I heard about the sedan right after I had just purchased my 4 year old (at that time) 01' BMW 540i & was disappointed I hadn't gotten a chance to compare it to the Genesis that was coming out. So I went ahead & drove the bimmer for 4 years making repairs on it regularly & at about the end of the 2nd year of ownership, I heard word of a true sports car coming out from Hyundai with RWD & over 300Hp. That made me ecstatic, because I knew by the time it became available in the U.S, I would have paid on the bimmer long enough to trade. :D

Then I heard about an R-Spec lightweight version that was going to be coming out after the release of the regular GenCoupe lineup. It was supposed to be a tuner's dream, so I held off on purchasing the 3.8 Track I was going to get opting for the lighter more "race" oriented R-Spec. At the time I was going to do what my brother (dic51) has done with his car on my recommendations & just leave the 3.8 Track A/T stock enjoying the stock power, warranty & proven ZF tranny. But then I got in the mood to create another build....my ultimate build. The R-Spec was to come in one trim & only 3 colors, a 2.0t 6sp M/T in either red, black or white. My bimmer was black & hell to keep clean, so that was out, I've never liked boring white cars, so red it was. I had never owned a FI car before due to worries over dependability, so was skeptical at first, but became more comfortable after time spent on the forums learning about modern day boost & the lesser possibility of coking.

I got involved in blogging in late '07 & into the Genesis forums in late '08. The more active I became in the forums, the further I wanted to take my car to eventually the level I'm going for today.

It was hinted I would be better off spending my money & time on driver modification, so I started road racing training through NASA HPDE last year & attended 4 events learning alot. This year I plan to attend at least 3, maybe 4 if I'm lucky....trying to save for wedding as well.

This is really the first one that it was based on. This is the car that had me tell my wife "I will own this if Hyundai ever makes it" and now I do!
Yep, I remember that concept when it came out & said to myself it wouldn't happen, boy was I wrong!

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
I remember the day I saw the concept(orange one). I fell in love with the design after that. Then I saw it at a car show and I was hooked by its sleek,sharp,low-slung looks with its aggresive haunches. Still IMO the best looking 2+2 coupe under 50k is a Hyundai and I can't believe it. I was always Japanese coupe bias but to me Hyundai killed them in the looks department.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I remember looking up the words 2x2 RWD coupe and an article popped up of Hyundai planning to make such a car and with options of a 2.0 turbo or v6. At the time no spy pics or any other info was available on the car. I knew right then and there as long as it wasn't hideous that this would be my next car. The only other car that fitted my needs and in the right price range was the RX-8 and I wasn't sold on its rotory's reliability. Soon spy pics started popping up and i got a small glimpse of my future car. It was fun watching the cloths slowly fall off through the months. Finally the car was revealed and it was beautiful. I then had to wait (about half a year) till one popped up in my area that was exactly what i wanted 2.0T track in Nord Gray. Been having fun modding the car and watching the aftermarket support grow ever since. ( i was on these forums LONG before i ever registered, i looked at this site daily for new information about the car. I only registered when the time was getting close to buying the car.)

·
3.5L TT but wrong body
12,003 Posts
I still think the Veloster is more the spawn of the HCD8 than the GC.

·
I keep it dirty and nerdy
1,525 Posts
huh.... interesting that the concept used 255 front and 275 rear on 20" wheels. They knew ahead of time a nice fitment :p

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are there interior & engine bay pics of the "first" (yellow) Gen Coupe Concept around anywhere?

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
just look up hcd 8 (I think) I have seen interior shots, it has a wood floor in the rear cargo area.

·
Mad Scientist
566 Posts
I remember seeing it at the 2009 Auto Show. Falling in love and knowing I had to have one.

They also had the prototype R-Spec at the show that year.

·
GAOC Member
67 Posts
This vehicle may not have history behind it, but for what it seems its about to create some of its own...

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Kdm style thread revival

·
GAOC Member
67 Posts
+1

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
ive now posted on 2 zombie threads and should be smacked for that but...

i forgot how close the concept looked to actual production. (the one linked in the 1st post, not the HCD 8). Makes me really excited for the 2015 GC after seeing that concept unveiled.

·
Registered
102 Posts
i remember finding out about the car... telling my buddy about it (who ended up buying one right away) and now me... a couple years later, buying it off of him. haha.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts