Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey so I'm parting out my gencoupe bk1 2.0 automatic & my main goal was to get the engine out bc thankfully it had no damage to it nor the transmission so I got the motor out and now my gencoupe is on two jack stands located in the front only rear is on wheel chucks and engine is removed w/ the trans just resting on a separate jack stand up by the front of the trans right behind the sway bar....question since the trans mount is still in place; if I were to jack up the rear to put the rear on jack stands it's not gonna tip forward right ? Being that the front Of my vehicle on jack stands and supporting the trans is only one jack stand separately & yeah engine is out so basically I'm nervous the trans will like make the stands top bc of the weight of the trans only being supported from the back by its own mount does that make sense ? Or am I supposed to go about it another way bc I need to get to the drive shaft etc and plus I need my cats out so I need that rear up but don't wanna have the trans comjng shattering down or tip any stands any thoughts ?

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,770 Posts
If the trans is on only one stand and you jack it up from the rear it's going to tip sideways.

·
Premium Member
15,356 Posts
1. Did you unbolt the torque converter from the flex plate, BEFORE separating the engine/trans? Torque converter is suppose to stay with the trans, otherwise you are likely going to tear a seal trying to put it back on.

2. Did you drain the trans? If so, then just man handle the trans out of place.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1. Did you unbolt the torque converter from the flex plate, BEFORE separating the engine/trans? Torque converter is suppose to stay with the trans, otherwise you are likely going to tear a seal trying to put it back on.

2. Did you drain the trans? If so, then just man handle the trans out of place.
I had unbolted every bolt I could possible see it was bitch bc of the sway bar being in the way but I managed to unbolt all the bolts that appeared to go to the engine and once I was able to gently man handle the two apart it popped right off when I was using the hoist I'm assuming I did
and yes she's been drained it's just the trans left I took out the bolts from drive shaft but that seemed to not come off the trans it's either a bitch to come apart or i still have to unbolt the other 3 from the rubber coupler ? But the mount is unbolted too it's being held up by a stand right now the trans

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the trans is on only one stand and you jack it up from the rear it's going to tip sideways.
Should I remove the mount and the sway bar to kinda roll it forward on a jack and back it out of place while folk g the jack towards the rear and lowering jack at same time but drive shaft is still connected idk why I unbolted those three bolts from the rubber coupler

·
Premium Member
15,356 Posts
I had unbolted every bolt I could possible see it was bitch bc of the sway bar being in the way but I managed to unbolt all the bolts that appeared to go to the engine and once I was able to gently man handle the two apart it popped right off when I was using the hoist I'm assuming I did
and yes she's been drained it's just the trans left I took out the bolts from drive shaft but that seemed to not come off the trans it's either a bitch to come apart or i still have to unbolt the other 3 from the rubber coupler ? But the mount is unbolted too it's being held up by a stand right now the trans
Doesn't answer my question.
Did you UNBOLT the TORQUE CONVERTER from the FLEXPLATE..... BEFORE splitting the engine and transmission?

On the engine side of the bell housing, there is a plastic cover on the bottom of the engine. You were suppose to pop that off and undo the torque converter bolts from there.
Since you did bother to read a shop manual, and considering the age of the car, you are likely going to split/tear a transmission seal when you try to put the torque converter where it's suppose to be.

Guess it doesn't matter, since you seem to be getting rid of the transmission and not the engine.

The new trans should have the torque converter in the bell housing. Just remember to only bolt the torque converter to the flex plate, through the little window on the bottom of the engine.

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,770 Posts
Should I remove the mount and the sway bar to kinda roll it forward on a jack and back it out of place while folk g the jack towards the rear and lowering jack at same time but drive shaft is still connected idk why I unbolted those three bolts from the rubber coupler
A picture of your situation would help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts