Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, it's freezing @$$ cold in Ohio right now. Not exactly optimal weather for detailing a vehicle. But I'm traveling to Florida for a month of training, and the Genesis is coming with me. Goes to say, spring cleaning started a little early.
I bought some new polish (Liquid Glass, and it's awesome). I used to use Turtle Wax Ice, so I thought I'd treat the plastic while doing the paint. And this is what happened:

Not the smartest move ever. The point of this post is, if you're looking for a product that will get off wax or polish from your trim, I'd recommend 3M Adhesive Remover.

Picked it up from Walmart $6, and it comes in an aerosol can. These are the results after a little scrubbing:

It's a little more expensive than bug&tar remover, but it worked so much better. I have a little more work to do around the edges, but I was really impressed.

Side note... I picked up a car bra so I can save the bumper from some damage during the road trip, and it actually doesn't look so bad:

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
How long has it been since you used the 3M stuff? Other people had suggested WD-40 for this... it worked... for 3-4 days then the white stuff showed again. :(

Not saying this stuff isn't the right way to go, just wondering how long ago you used it.

EDIT: Did you wax the textured plastic diffuser? I just usually try to get the wax off that I accidenty put on any black plastic on the car.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Hows the fit on the bra? (why does that sound akward?) Ive been thinking about picking one up for whenever i take a road trip

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How long has it been since you used the 3M stuff? Other people had suggested WD-40 for this... it worked... for 3-4 days then the white stuff showed again. :(

Not saying this stuff isn't the right way to go, just wondering how long ago you used it.

EDIT: Did you wax the textured plastic diffuser? I just usually try to get the wax off that I accidenty put on any black plastic on the car.
I used it just this morning, but it still looks great. Unlike WD-40, which is oil-based, this stuff acts more like an acetone. WD-40 just covers it up, the 3M stuff breaks it down.
I used to use Ice on everything, and it's the only polish I had ever used so I figured it would be okay. My mistake...
I now use liquid Glass for polish and Maguiar NXT for wax. Using these together bring the black paint to a mirror finish.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hows the fit on the bra? (why does that sound akward?) Ive been thinking about picking one up for whenever i take a road trip
Haha yeah it does sound a little bit awkward. It was a real pain putting it on, but it fits like a glove. I'm really happy with it.

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
Looks like it worked out well. I'm not really a fan of the bras because of all the stuff that can get up under them and scratch the paint, but if it's clean and removed when at the destination, and then the surface cleaned again before it's put back on, don't see why it would harm anything. Normally I'd just do the painter's tape thing.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like it worked out well. I'm not really a fan of the bras because of all the stuff that can get up under them and scratch the paint, but if it's clean and removed when at the destination, and then the surface cleaned again before it's put back on, don't see why it would harm anything. Normally I'd just do the painter's tape thing.
I never really thought of painter's tape for the front bumper (I see it on the fenders some), but that would have been much cheaper.

Either way, the car is definitely clean after 2 coats of polish and 2 coats of wax. It'll surely proof helpful as this 2K mile road trip is staring me down.

One little fitment caveat... There are tabs that go in under the headlights. The vinyl needs to stretch a bit before they actually go in.

AND the diffuser still looks great.

·
Registered
787 Posts
A general purpose cleaner like simple green will also remove residue on plastic parts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts