Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would the gain be if the second cat is removed?
And - will the engine recognize the loss of second cat?

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,275 Posts
Did you have the aluminum spare wheel? My temp spare tire developed a bulge and the tread separated just sitting in the trunk over the years. Went to check the air pressure and could see it was distorted. Never been mounted on the car.

The OE wheels are boat anchors too.

·
Premium Member
14,842 Posts
The oem spare is a little lighter than a oem wheel/tire.

If you change the wheels because of weight, steel rims are an option. they are lighter than the stock rims.

FYI, the tire repair cans don't to much in freezing temps.

·
shorttrack
1,605 Posts
What would the gain be if the second cat is removed?
And - will the engine recognize the loss of second cat?
Nice old school Kawasaki ZX7R

·
shorttrack
1,605 Posts
Second cats flow good ,bit heavy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you have the aluminum spare wheel? My temp spare tire developed a bulge and the tread separated just sitting in the trunk over the years. Went to check the air pressure and could see it was distorted. Never been mounted on the car.

The OE wheels are boat anchors too.
- Yes, the alu spare wheel, but it still was heavy like a iron rim. Don´t know it it was extra thick rubber in that tire or what..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The oem spare is a little lighter than a oem wheel/tire.

If you change the wheels because of weight, steel rims are an option. they are lighter than the stock rims.

FYI, the tire repair cans don't to much in freezing temps.
- How could steel rims be lighter than alu rims??

·
Premium Member
14,842 Posts
- How could steel rims be lighter than alu rims??
because the aluminum alloy wheel is a thick chunk of aluminum. The steel wheel is just 3 stamped out pieces of steel, welded together.

The benefits of aluminum start to negate, when you realize how thick an aluminum piece has to be, to match the strength of steel in a given structural scenario

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
because the aluminum alloy wheel is a thick chunk of aluminum. The steel wheel is just 3 stamped out pieces of steel, welded together.

The benefits of aluminum start to negate, when you realize how thick an aluminum piece has to be, to match the strength of steel in a given structural scenario
- Yes, i did´nt think those Genesis rims were that dense.

·
shorttrack
1,605 Posts
- Yes, i did´nt think those Genesis rims were that dense.
1 of the 1st things I did to my Gen Coupe , got rid of the heavy OEM rims .

·
shorttrack
1,605 Posts
- Thank´s, and yes i like those because of the look.
This one will get a ZX9-engine this winter, so hopefully i will roll out a qiute doped "ZX8" from the garage next spring : )
Lived in the Grudge Motorcycle capital in the height of big money street bike racing for 22 years , North Carolina . Guys shoe horned (with lots of fab work ) built Hayabusa motors into GSXR 1000's . My first true fast bike was 1998 ZX-9R .

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They are not needed and will set no codes if gone. You will loose the weight if nothing else.
- Still considering this, so...how will it affect the emission values? Here in Sweden we have a control instance "Bilprovningen" that check all cars once a year, and one of the tests is emission pollution.
Also if any "faulty" code is registered due to the lambda-values.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts