Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Master Member #518
2,754 Posts
How would someone go about prepping/painting their stock wheels? How much would it cost to have it done elsewhere? :dunno:
To paint them you either remove the paint with aircraft paint remover (you can buy at autoparts store) or you use a 1000grit to remove the slick final layer, and then you paint them with a spray can. Darker colors show the least imperfection when you paint them, but if you take your time you can do other colors as well.

To professionally "powdercoat" like factory finish, you would pay about $100 to $200 per wheel. I've only used Wheel Technologies and Wheels America for wheel repairs, in which they also repaint them factory finish. They charge about $100 to $125, I forget. But that is repair and refinish. They do aftermarket and stock wheels.

·
FUNCTION OVER FORM
5,383 Posts
My opinion...leave it stock. Personally, I hate it when people paint their stock wheels. Different strokes for different folks though.
I agree, those hypersilver factory 19"s look great & I can't see degrading them, not to mention, they cost $400 ea to replace.

okay, that gunmetal chrome (black chrome / hyperblack / whatever else it is marketed as) is dead freaking sexy!!!

seriously
Yeah, I agree hyperblack wheels are off the chain. I hate flat black & gloss black though. I'm thinking of getting hyperblack wheels w/a machined lip for my 2nd set.

·
To the Batmobile!
1,621 Posts
my friend painted his wheels to a dark goldish finish by himself. It took him a few days to do it all himself. I don't think DIY is too expensive but be prepared to spend sometime on it. He told me if you do it wrong it comes out really bad...

·
Original member
785 Posts
white really only looks good on red cars. just like bright gold looks really good with blue. bronze, and black compliment alot of colors. hyperblack makes anything look good. i bet the 18's would be awesome hyperblack.

·
Registered
665 Posts
can somebody tell me how durable this is? I dont want paint chipping off the rims after a month!

·
Registered
499 Posts
I think the best would be to sandblast them and powdercoat them...don't take shortcut on this. Bottom line, like many things in life, you get what you pay for.

·
I'm _not_ a ricer!
657 Posts
The only color I'd paint them is black, but that gunmetal chrome is gorgeous.

Also, if you can get them powdercoated instead of painted, do so. The finish is a lot stronger and will last far longer.

If you DIY and you don't know what you're doing, expect chipping/peeling soon after.
How much does it typical cost to have them painted? From my limited experience, powder coats have a sort of matte/dead sheen right? I"m not a big fan of chrome/shiny myself.

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
depends on the shop for prices... 50-100 per is about normal though.

you can get powder in a bunch of different finishes.. flat, satin, glossy, chrome-ish. there's a ton of stuff out there

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
Paint or powdercoat it that color.

I know it'd be a pain in the ass, but I'm wondering how the wheels would look if they were sprayed all black and then had the face polished.

·
FUNCTION OVER FORM
5,383 Posts
Same question again. How do they get the gun metal chrome look? I like it.
Those looked dipped from how much of a shine there is, but I've seen some wheels that were power coated at a place here in town that are off the chain, more of a hyper-gun metal I guess you would classify them as though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey guys I'm finally on my 11th post so here goes..

Me (Peter) and my friend (Kenny) were trying to come up with some different ideas and we came up with Black/Orange, Yellow/green theme cars. hehe. I'm sure you'll either love it or hate it. Don't hate too much though. :)
We were both very much into silvias and soarers until we heard about the release of genesis coupe. Last picture is of my friend.
I will be posting many more soon. Now enough talking~

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
The black and orange isn't too bad, even if it's not my style. The yellow and green is way too flashy for me. And while we're on the topic, what's the decal on the side of the yellow one represent?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Yeah.... like the black and orange ...

The yellow / green looks too "playschool" for me.... I could see it on something like a VW Beetle maybe.

It's all personal preference though. I can't say I care much for any of these black wheels on dark colored cars either. Seems like it makes the wheels too "understated", like you're trying to make sure they DON'T stand out much?

21 - 40 of 41 Posts