Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I searched for the specific answers and unfortunately I wasn't able to find any.

I recently blew a bearing rod on my 2013 2.0t AT. I had installed an electronic throttle response from the gas pedal. My mistake by abusing it and I literally was close to my oil change date. 3 weeks abusing it with that ThrottleResponse and my oil light came on, quickly pulled over and turned it off. Luckily I was home, and put about 5qts of oil... Next day ran perfectly fine, no issue whatsoever... Got off work, jumped on the fwy no issue. I hit almost 80mph when I noticed a loss of power. I let go of the gas and was loosing acceleration. I stepped on the gas to maintain the speed and wouldn't. Mph kept dropping, so I pulled over. Came to a complete stop and turned off on me. Got it towed home, and turns on still. My mechanic came to look at it and said the pistons are still good as well as the spark plugs... Oh, and I forgot I had at least 50miles on it before empty. And when I saw it the next day the gas was flashing empty. So I put 1.5g of gas and gave me 71miles. Weird.. my mechanic and I heard a light click or knock noise at the bottom of the engine. It got louder when I would gently tap the gas, and got quite when idle...

My question is I don't know whether to rebuild or to replace? Motor has about 95k miles on it. I do have a full street cat back exhaust performance, intake and bov.

If I rebuild, would it be reliable (won't repeat my mistake) and at least be able to have fun without worrying it may break down again. Quoted $5,500

Or

If I replace the engine Ive been looking at that has 40k miles on it, do I need to replace the turbo as well? Maybe it caused the old engine to burn more oil perhaps? And if I do replace the engine it's going to be more reliable? I don't mind spending, but I want it to be done the first time right, you know.
Quoted Engine and labor $6,500

Lesson learned 馃槶

Thank you for your time!!

Registered
I would rebuild with quality rods, pistons, and bearings. I rebuilt mine with a silver kit from gencoupestore, labor from a nearby shop was 1500 so I spent about 3k and I鈥檓 rated for 400-425whp. My upgraded turbo is 350 whp and it feels great. If you鈥檙e wanting more power than our engines provide then I would look into replacing the engine with something better, you鈥檒l spend about 10k but you鈥檒l def be pushing some power.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would rebuild with quality rods, pistons, and bearings. I rebuilt mine with a silver kit from gencoupestore, labor from a nearby shop was 1500 so I spent about 3k and I鈥檓 rated for 400-425whp. My upgraded turbo is 350 whp and it feels great. If you鈥檙e wanting more power than our engines provide then I would look into replacing the engine with something better, you鈥檒l spend about 10k but you鈥檒l def be pushing some power.
Thank you so much! If I'm able to save than why not! Lol

I'd rather do it myself
If a rod is bent then the compression would be off on that cylinder. Otherwise replacing the rod bearings use to be a normal procedure. Depends on if the motor has been maintained well. How many miles?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If a rod is bent then the compression would be off on that cylinder. Otherwise replacing the rod bearings use to be a normal procedure. Depends on if the motor has been maintained well. How many miles?
Thanks for your reply. And it has 95k miles on it. I always did dealership sparkplugs and did oil change at least ever 5-6weeks. My mechanic tested the pistons and resulted is good. So, I'm still not sure whether to replace the engine you know..

Registered
I would do a stroker motor rebuild, now the motor will be reliable and now you can throw anything at the motor and you won't have to worry about reliability.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

Registered

My engine knock has gotten to the point where it's pretty bad and I can't even drive it anymore, from what i understand (is this true?).

If I need a new engine, which pretty sure I do, and I buy one would you suggest switching the rods, pistons, and bearings? I would rather not get rod knock again. Maybe the rods pistons and bearings were not the problem though? Curious what you think. Would you do this with new engine? used? I feel pretty weary buying another bk2 2.0 after mine blew at 80k. Let alone buying a used one with 100k miles on it... would love anyones thoughts who has expertise here.

Registered
I would pull your motor out take it to a machine shop preferably one that knows this engine tell them you want to do a stroker motor, stroker motor is sold as a kit.

Registered
I would pull your motor out take it to a machine shop preferably one that knows this engine tell them you want to do a stroker motor, stroker motor is sold as a kit.

Are there mechanics that are willing to do this? I don't have a truck, garage, or engine hoist so the execution will be a bit challenging. From my understanding, most mechanics aren't willing to mess with this. I can hardly find mechanics willing to do an engine replacement. Let alone swap the 2.0 for a 3.8, or (i am guessing) do a rebuild/stroker motor. Don't mean to complain, but not super impressed with mechanics in general. I guess they're just trying to make money as fast as possible.

Registered
Where are you from! I'm a former Hyundai Tech probably one of the easiest engines to pull out, so any mechanic telling you that they can't they are probably not real auto technicians and probably more back alley mechanics and I'm not trying to disrespect anyone!

Premium Member
Are there mechanics that are willing to do this? I don't have a truck, garage, or engine hoist so the execution will be a bit challenging. From my understanding, most mechanics aren't willing to mess with this. I can hardly find mechanics willing to do an engine replacement. Let alone swap the 2.0 for a 3.8, or (i am guessing) do a rebuild/stroker motor. Don't mean to complain, but not super impressed with mechanics in general. I guess they're just trying to make money as fast as possible.

I did a whole engine swap in my driveway with just an engine hoist, hand tools and jack ramps.... in 3 hours.
It's like pulling any other engine... just with a lot more space

Registered
Where are you from! I'm a former Hyundai Tech probably one of the easiest engines to pull out, so any mechanic telling you that they can't they are probably not real auto technicians and probably more back alley mechanics and I'm not trying to disrespect anyone!

Probably 60% of the shops I've called have said 'we don't do engine replacements' despite it saying it on their website in one case. Just a lot of brakes and alternators I guess? I am near white river junction, VT. Back in WI I had an excellent mechanic who would do custom fixes on beater cars if needed. Really great mechanic. Here people seem to be picky with what they work on.

So this is fairly easy and I shouldn't be affraid to try it myself... I am surprised it's that simple. I know AKGC said 3 hours many times before, but I am assumed you've done it many many times and are pretty good. I'll have to consider doing the swap myself.

So really just hand tools, a hoist, a few containers to catch the fluids, and that's it?

AKGC, thoughts on throwing a 2.0 in vs a 3.8? Are the 3.8 swaps challenging?

Is there anything I can do to the engine to prevent getting rod knock again or to make it stronger? Or just don't beat the hell out of it and make sure it never runs low on oil? Do you think it's worth taking the SFR 1.5 tune off or that was unlikely to be a factor?

Registered
Also curious as to whether there is a big difference in engine reliability between 2.0 vs 3.8 to make one worth it over the other? I believe I've seen a fair amount of both with blown engines from rod knock (on fb marketplace).

Registered
If you do a 3.8 swap you also need a new engine harness, pcm. I wouldn't do it, are you from Wisconsin?

Registered
If you do a 3.8 swap you also need a new engine harness, pcm. I wouldn't do it, are you from Wisconsin?

Yes I am, living on the east coast now :)! Moved in with the lady. Good to know on swap prices. Just don't think the 2.0 is all that reliable and they are pretty expensive used.

Is there a way to know whether my engine is in good enough shape for me to do a stroker motor?

Registered
Yes I am, living on the east coast now :)! Moved in with the lady. Good to know on swap prices. Just don't think the 2.0 is all that reliable and they are pretty expensive used.

Is there a way to know whether my engine is in good enough shape for me to do a stroker motor?
Any idea on cost estimate for a stroker motor?

new and used 2.0's are starting at 4-5k and I'm not sure whether I'm willing to stick that into the car at this point (I was thinking of taking to a shop and all in costs of ~6k, pretty much 80% of car price).

Registered
Does the car run, as long as there is no damage to the block or cylinder walls you will be fine all the internals are going to be replaced.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts