Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To get started I have a 2010 3.8 Track with 105,000 miles and engine is completely stock. I’ve been running rich for a while now and haven’t been able to figure out the issue. I just replaced the spark plugs hoping it would help since the old ones were in pretty rough shape. I used NGK iridium tipped spark plugs which were pregapped. noticed small amounts of oil on the mid setion of the coil plug boot and some on the ceramic of the old plugs.

In the process of replacing the bags i found the paper throttle body gasket was broken so i ordered a thermal one online. After replacing the spark plugs however, I’m getting a weird exhaust sound which I believe to be a misfire.

I haven’t gotten any codes yet.I haven’t driven the car anywhere since or let the engine run for over 5 minutes.

When cold starting it revs up to about 2000 tons then goes down to 1200-1500 then finally going down to 900. When it gets down to 900 however i feel the engine beginning to misfire. I may be wrong though, im still learning about cars and teaching myself.

Any help on this would be appreciated. I’ve read many different forums but every one similar to my problem consists of the motor running lean but mine continues to run rich.

·
Registered
2013 3.8 Track 8 Speed
500 Posts
Honestly dude, i don't think it's a miss fire because of the plugs. Sounds like either a leaky throttle body or it's starting to go bad. Since it ran fine before you changed the seal then I'm betting it's the TB seal. Recheck that and I'm betting it fixes it.or at least check to make sure it's fitting correctly.

·
I'd rather do it myself
19,763 Posts
Sounds like a vacuum leak somewhere. Especially the high start idle. Did you use regular gaskets along with the thermal ones? Have you retorqued the intake?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like a vacuum leak somewhere. Especially the high start idle. Did you use regular gaskets along with the thermal ones? Have you retorqued the intake?
yes, I retorqued the intake manifold to spec. I wasn't able to find paper gaskets anywhere for the throttle body mounting service so I ordered the thermal one for now. Was able to locate a paper one and it should come in tomorrow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright so I went ahead and checked all the coil plug boots and springs they were all fine. Put everything back together making sure to clean all the surfaces and torque everything down to spec. finally, a cel code p0107 came up as the sputtering continued. Fixed the p0107 cel code, the map sensor wasn't plugged in all the way. Drove the car around a couple miles and finally p0305 cylinder 5 misfire came up. Im currently away from home at uni though and wont have the time to fix it. I plan on going back in about 2 weeks to try and figure it out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts