Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the correct replacement battery for a daily driver 2016 3.8 coupe? I would prefer to do little to no mods to make it fit.

My OEM battery needs replacing and, other than a OEM battery, I can't seem to find the correct size battery for my Ultimate. The references say Group 49 for a 2016, but it is too long by almost 2". For a 2010-2015 the references say Group 124R, but it is too short by nearly an inch. I called the dealer and they didn't have an answer either.

For reference the OEM part # is 37110-2M640.

I tried searching the forum, but couldn't seem to find a thread that really answers my question.

TIA!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Go to AutoZone, any Autozone. Ask for a Duralast Gold made in the USA by Johnson Controls. They have two kinds one by Johnson Controls, one by interstate in China. They can tell the difference. Its good for five years, Johnson controls primary business is marine batteries so they are the best made.
-Old school heavy ass lead/acid. They really last.

They will have a exact model for your GEN. Call ahead to make sure they have one of the Johnson ones. If a clerk acts dumbass, ask for the manager.

Johnson makes Duralast Gold and Die-Hard Platnium,...same battery. Different package.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Shorter battery (20-15) will still will work just fine for your car.
On the side note, my OEM 2013 battery is still kicking. Been waiting to get a light weight battery for some time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
What Gaijinn said....Ive had a Duralast gold in my 2014 3.8 ultimate for the last 3 years after my original battery went bad. Its p/n 124R-DLG, at least thats what it says on mine. I use them in all 5 of my cars, real good batteries, and if one does go bad theres a Auto Zone on every corner, at least there is by me.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Unless your car is truly "tracked" or is a 1/4 miler, get the big lead acid battery. Old is always better, better meaning long range reliability.
"Light-wgt" and environmentally friendly batteries suck. If you are a DD or a street-ride, losing weight in the car means that much to you, you ll drop more weight getting a hotter more petite girlfriend under 120 lbs. LOL.

PS Johnson Controls stopped making batteries for Optima 2 or 3 years ago. Those ar F--king wuhan Chi-com now.

Budzi--- your pushing you r luck, especially in Michigan !.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shorter battery (20-15) will still will work just fine for your car.
On the side note, my OEM 2013 battery is still kicking. Been waiting to get a light weight battery for some time.

Thanks! My OEM seems ok, as it will start the car, but it's left me needing a jump twice now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unless your car is truly "tracked" or is a 1/4 miler, get the big lead acid battery. Old is always better, better meaning long range reliability.
"Light-wgt" and environmentally friendly batteries suck. If you are a DD or a street-ride, losing weight in the car means that much to you, you ll drop more weight getting a hotter more petite girlfriend under 120 lbs. LOL.

PS Johnson Controls stopped making batteries for Optima 2 or 3 years ago. Those ar F--king wuhan Chi-com now.

Budzi--- your pushing you r luck, especially in Michigan !.
Nope, just a daily driver, not doing the race thing. I'm good in the female department as my wife already fits that description!;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm starting to think that I'm experiencing a mid-year update situation where my car is an early year model. O'Reilleys page states that the Group 49 (H8) is for trunk mount and the 124R is for engine compartment mount.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I store my car 7 month a year without battery recharging, and every year I bring a battery jumper with me just in case. Did not use it as of yet. Will be picking it up from storage in few days, will see if it finally will need a jump.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the feedback! I went with a 124R-DLG. I tried a H6, but the recessed posts made it a no-go. Another candidate was a 34R, but Autozone didn't have one. So I did have to do a small modification to get the factory hold-down to work. I used a pair of plastic shims to make up the difference in height. There are two things that I did have to compromise on and that was height (obvious), and that the 124R is not maintenance-free (not so obvious).

I've added pics to show the mock-up install and the side-by-side differences between the batteries. Please forgive the uneven surface, but the battery height difference is about 1/2".

20200508_184418.jpg 20200508_184425.jpg 20200508_184629.jpg 20200508_184635.jpg 20200508_184658.jpg 20200508_184703.jpg 20200508_184707.jpg 20200508_184744.jpg

·
I'd rather do it myself
18,711 Posts
I looked around my area for the best deals on the 126R. But one good thing about WalMart is the put a date sticker on their batteries. And they are usually so lazy they don't rotate them so freshest are in the front, but be sure to check. There will not be that many on the shelf. But When I got mine I was lucky to find a current month date stamp, Most of the others were over 6 months old.

·
Registered
53 Posts
2013 3.8 Track. The OPTIMA Red Top AGM #35 fit prefect and secure. Still relatively new and so far working excellent. Pic attached

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I looked around my area for the best deals on the 126R. But one good thing about WalMart is the put a date sticker on their batteries. And they are usually so lazy they don't rotate them so freshest are in the front, but be sure to check. There will not be that many on the shelf. But When I got mine I was lucky to find a current month date stamp, Most of the others were over 6 months old.
Autozone has a date sticker too. So, I've not been able to find a 126R battery in any searches. A 26R and a 124R, but not a 126R.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts