Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I would like to replace the rims on my 2016 Genesis coupe V6/3.8L I just got with something matte black. Trouble is, the stock wheels are 18x7.5 in the front and 18x8 in the back, where the 18x7.5 in the front are pretty hard to find a nice matching set for. The tires I obtained have 100 miles in them (my driving the first 3 days), so I would prefer not to have to replace them (225/45R18 in the front; 245/45R18 in the back). Both tire sets are rated such that they will fit 18x8 rims in theory. Would I be able to replace the stock rims front and back with a set of 18x8 without worrying about my tires wearing oddly due to the first ~300 miles (by the time I am able to get a replacement set of rims) being on different size rims?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Wear should not be an issue. Your tires will barely notice a half-inch change in width.

If you’re set on 8s all around, just know your tires are going to look different front-to-rear based on the tire width. A 245 rear is going to fit differently than a 225 front.

That said, you could run 8-8.5 front, and an 8.5-9 rear, and it should look good, as long as you keep the 1/2 inch stagger to account for your current tire sizes.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Consider a square setup

Agree with L8Braker, that wear will not be an issue. However, you may want to take into account the advantages of using the same width front and rear, and then also using the same width tires when you're ready to replace the current set.

The initial advantage of a square wheel/tire setup is the ability to properly rotate the tires, which means you might be able to get more wear out of them. You may also like the handling advantage though. Our cars are front heavy and therefore like to understeer (push the front). This tendency is only increased by having more rubber on the road in the rear. With the right offset, you can easily fit 255s on the front. Running the same size on the rear will still give you a bit wider tire than stock, but will allow you to set the car up for less understeer without having stiffen the rear suspension.

Just my $.02. No, I didn't do that with my car, but I wish I had. Those 275s in the rear look great, but I use up a set of fronts when the rears still have at least 30% tread left. Getting the car to oversteer with them requires extreme measures.

·
DaveR
3 Posts
This is a shift from the question by "ericwb95", but the answer by "L8Braker" raises another question:
What is the harm in buying new 18x7.5 wheels ALL AROUND and pairing with 225/45R18 tires ALL AROUND?
I've been trying to do this on my 2011 Track, but the tire shops are not willing to depart from the OEM standards.
I just want to rotate my tires like normal, front to back. I'm old, I don't need the enhanced performance alleged with the OEM tire specs.
Thanks for the time.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Dave, no harm except for the little issue at the bottom. The 245s look pretty skinny on our cars because the car is so wide in the rear. Running 225s in the rear would definitely not help that. You might consider going to the 18x8 rear wheels all the way around and running 245s front and rear. That will also make the tire shops happier. The chain stores generally won't like you going to less tire than you had stock. They'll mount a wider tire, as long as you already have that width on the car. That means you may have to get the first set mounted a little independent shop. After that you can go back to a chain for purchase and installation.

The issue, for both you and Eric, is that running the same diameter tires front and rear can mess with the traction control. I personally turn mine off almost every time in the car, because it's so intrusive at the most inopportune moments. You might get some unexpected TCS intervention unless you push the button to turn it off.

·
DaveR
3 Posts
Thanks, Alottabull for making me think about the looks of thinner tires in the rear...AND about traction control, which can be annoying.
Regarding 18x8 rims and 245 tires, one tire guy told me the larger tires would rub against the front fenders when turning...is that true? If not, I will gladly convert ALL AROUND to 18x8 rims and 245 tires!
Again, thanks for the advice.
DaveR

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Wear should not be an issue. Your tires will barely notice a half-inch change in width.

If you’re set on 8s all around, just know your tires are going to look different front-to-rear based on the tire width. A 245 rear is going to fit differently than a 225 front.

That said, you could run 8-8.5 front, and an 8.5-9 rear, and it should look good, as long as you keep the 1/2 inch stagger to account for your current tire sizes.
Will an 8 front; 8.5 OR 9 rear with ~30-45 offset with the tires listed (225/45r18 and 245/45r18 at first, with next set of tires at 245/45r18 and 255-275/45r18 whenever these tires need a replacement) keep the traction control working okay, and more importantly, fit without rubbing (2016 genesis coupe)? I have zero plans to lower my car.

I typically use the traction control, for now anyway; first performance-ish car :D so not used to not having it to save my life when I do stupid things at high speeds. I'm sure I'll convert in the next few months, but for now I'd definitely like that to not be ****ed up.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Not sure a 245 on an 8” front is going to look all that great. You might have rubbing if you end up with +45 offset too. You’d probably have to run spacers. On the rear, you could run 255s, but 275 on an 8.5” is sketchy imo.

As for TC, as long as the rears are slightly bigger than the fronts, you should be fine. The window is about 3%.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Alright well, I think what I'm going to end up going with is:

Enkei TY-5 18x8 Front; 40mm offset
Enkei TY-5 18x9.5 Rear; 40mm offset

Recycle my stock tires (will the 225/45R18 or the 245/45R18 work best?) in the front
buy 265/45R18 for the rear. Tirerack claims this stuff will fit, but I am skeptical of the offset.

What do I need to verify that this setup will work exactly, and particularly not screw up my TC? Sorry for the dumb questions.

·
Registered
410 Posts
They may “fit” but I doubt you’ll be happy with the look. Took much offset means too sunken into the wheel wells. 15mm spacers all around will take care of that, but you can run bigger if you want a more aggressive “fit”.

·
IG: jasonlikedthis
802 Posts
Alright well, I think what I'm going to end up going with is:

Enkei TY-5 18x8 Front; 40mm offset
Enkei TY-5 18x9.5 Rear; 40mm offset

Recycle my stock tires (will the 225/45R18 or the 245/45R18 work best?) in the front
buy 275/ZR40R18 for the rear. Tirerack claims this stuff will fit, but I am skeptical of the offset.

What do I need to verify that this setup will work exactly, and particularly not screw up my TC? Sorry for the dumb questions.
Those offsets are ugly. You also run the risk of the wheel hitting your struts. I agree with L8Braker and you should run some spacers or get wheels that are around +20mm.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Those offsets are ugly. You also run the risk of the wheel hitting your struts. I agree with L8Braker and you should run some spacers or get wheels that are around +20mm.
Seems sensible, so for only ~150 bucks a set of spacers is probably the move as you suggest.

Final question, will >245/45R18s in the back be too high (and cause rubbing over bumps and such?) lots of potholes in my area, so I'd like the added aspect of 45s over 40s to soak up some future back pain for me and protect my rims a little better, but certainly not if they will rub (or cause TC issues). I note that the OEM fitment has the sidewall heights of:
front: 225*.45 = 101.##
rear: 245*.45 = 110.25

Whereas the fitment with with the 245/275 setup is:
front: 245*.45 = 110.25
rear: 275*.45 = 123.75
-or, with 275/40R18s-
rear: 275*.4 = 110
-or, with 265/45R18s-
rear: 265*.45 = 119.25
-or, with 265/40R18s-
rear: 265*.4 = 106

A difference of 9 mm (the 265/45) and 13 mm (the 275/45) seems substantial, but bumping down to 40s seems to lead to an irregularity where the front tires would be larger than the rear tires, which (I have no idea on this) feels like it could have Traction control implications (I am guessing the sidewall stagger of 101/110 OEM is by design probably? so non-staggering feels like the TC will probably engage more, but not really sure). It feels like 245/45R18 + 265/45R18 is a good balance, but again, concerned about that 9mm difference leading to rubbing...

·
Registered
978 Posts
Why dont you take a shot at painting or plasti dipping your oem wheels ?

Sky is the limit on colors effects and such. Y ou are limited only by your imagination and your skill, or lack there of.

****245/45 18 on oem rims will not rub at all, I had them on my rears for a while.
I had General GMAX 225/45 18 on front above on rear. No rubbing or ECM/sensor issues at all. Looked nice. The higher sidewall gives you more cushion if you live near shitty roads like here in Indy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why dont you take a shot at painting or plasti dipping your oem wheels ?

Sky is the limit on colors effects and such. Y ou are limited only by your imagination and your skill, or lack there of.

****245/45 18 on oem rims will not rub at all, I had them on my rears for a while.
I had General GMAX 225/45 18 on front above on rear. No rubbing or ECM/sensor issues at all. Looked nice. The higher sidewall gives you more cushion if you live near shitty roads like here in Indy.
Yah; I have them on the rear; I was thinking about moving that tire to the front though. OEM the front is 101mm; with the 245/45R18 it would jump to 110mm is my concern.

I thought about just painting the rims, but I'm pretty not huge on the OEM rim style, and I've been having some complaints about traction at high speeds that I would imagine an additional 30mm of tire in the back might clean up a bit (245 -> 275) so I figured the jump might be worthwhile. Might still do it if I can't figure out ahead of time whether the TC would be ****ed up or I'd have substantial rubbing.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I would imagine an additional 30mm of tire in the back might clean up a bit (245 -> 275) so I figured the jump might be worthwhile. Might still do it if I can't figure out ahead of time whether the TC would be ****ed up or I'd have substantial rubbing.

Your TC limitations come from circumference. (I know you can get there with diameter, it’s just more math than necessary). Your ceiling is about 3%. You want your rolling circumference to differ 3% or less front to rear, with the rear number being higher. (If you use “revs per mile”, the rear number needs to be lower). That’s the information that’s being sent to the ABS module, the differential number between the two.

I run 245/275 as many do, zero issues.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Your TC limitations come from circumference. (I know you can get there with diameter, it’s just more math than necessary). Your ceiling is about 3%. You want your rolling circumference to differ 3% or less front to rear, with the rear number being higher. (If you use “revs per mile”, the rear number needs to be lower). That’s the information that’s being sent to the ABS module, the differential number between the two.

I run 245/275 as many do, zero issues.
Ah; that makes sense. Will increasing the diameter by approximately 1 centimeter in front and rear (101/110 front/rear diameter to 110/123 front/rear diameter) make a difference with respect to the suspension potentially rubbing? Or should I be good there as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
For reference for anybody who finds this, the TY-8s fit with *plenty* of clearance, without the need for spacers, with room to spare on the OEM brakes (non-brembo), and no rubbing. I am not sure the dimensions of the brembos, but there was at a centimeter between the non-brembo calipers and the rim spokes. TC and tire pressure sensors are fine with no adjustments needed (bought tires with pressure sensors built-in, but no additional process was needed to get the pressure sensors to properly register other than a brief 5 minute drive before the warning light went off).

The setup I ended up with was:
Front are Enkei TY-8 8", with 245/R45
Rear are Enkei TY-8 9.5", with 265/R45

Whenever I get around to getting new wheels in two years, I'll probably go with 255/275 front/rear R45 as there is still a good deal of room to spare. The fitment was about a half a centimeter short of flush so I think bumping the tires by a centimeter will get pretty much perfectly flush.

Pics below, along with orange painted calipers; I think it's looking pretty good.

Thanks for all the advice everybody.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts