Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
78,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Filed under: Hatchback, Honda

Honda CR-Z Hybrid R concept - Click above for high-res image gallery

The Honda CR-Z has us a bit stumped. It's interesting looking and it's a sporting handler, but with only 122 horsepower under the hood, power is in sadly short supply. Yes, the CR-Z is also a hybrid, but its 38 miles per gallon combined fuel economy rating is less than impressive.

The solution could be right around the corner. Back in December, the Brits over at Autocar quoted sources who said Honda was planning a turbocharged CR-Z minus the battery pack or electric motor.

Fast-forward a little over a month and the U.K. magazine now reports that the CR-Z turbo is being rushed to production. If there's any truth to the rumors, the boosted hatch will come in 160- and 200-horsepower versions; a healthy bump for such a small vehicle. So what does "fast-tracked" mean in terms of timing? Autocar claims we could see the CR-Z turbo at the Tokyo Motor Show in December.

Given the fact that Autocar neglected to divulge its "sources," we're not quite ready to take the publication at its word. But all the same, Honda must be listening to all the lukewarm reviews regarding the CR-Z, and a production model based on the boosted CR-Z R concept from SEMA could well be the shot in the arm the little three-door needs.

Gallery: SEMA 2010: 2011 Honda CR-Z Hybrid R Concept

[Source: Autocar]Report: Honda CR-Z turbo fast-tracked originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 18 Jan 2011 09:58:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...

·
FUNCTION OVER FORM
5,383 Posts
Good, this needs to happen already!

·
3.5L TT but wrong body
12,003 Posts

·
Out Pissing Off cops!
4,572 Posts
X2

It'll be interesting in Hyundai responds with a boosted veloster.
^^Come on now, we already have the Sonata 2.0T burning our asses, no need for another cousin torching our butts off the line...LOL

·
FUNCTION OVER FORM
5,383 Posts
X2

It'll be interesting in Hyundai responds with a boosted veloster.
I would like to see a turbo version Veloster & Elantra :bowdown:

^^Come on now, we already have the Sonata 2.0T burning our asses, no need for another cousin torching our butts off the line...LOL
Well if enough of the Hyundai lineup busts their "sports car's" balls, maybe we will see some decent perfromance upgrades...

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
Turbo Veloster is already confirmed I think.

I really think they need to put the European rear seat in this thing. Sure there won't be enough space for any more than children, but the panel that's there now just looks half-finished like they forgot to put the seat covers on it.

I do admit though I like the CR-Z. Didn't so much in pictures, but it's a completely different car to me in person. Yeah it's slow and that's a huge disappointment, but it's quite fun in the handling department.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
I do admit though I like the CR-Z. Didn't so much in pictures, but it's a completely different car to me in person. Yeah it's slow and that's a huge disappointment, but it's quite fun in the handling department.
I dunno the only problem I have with this 'new generation' of coupes is that they are mini X6's or ZDX's. Especially as 2 door CUV / SUV's show up.

They are by no stretch of the imagination sleek and stylish. It is a sad path where cars are going.

:(

·
Regular User
86 Posts
They were talking about the possibility of an alternate engine way before the release, and it was sad when there was no real talk of it just before and after it came out.

But even if we didn't get a turbo model making 160 to 200, I don't see why we couldn't get an R18 or K20 variant. Both of those engines would be economical and considerably more fun. People could argue Honda isn't ready to give the Civic Si any competition but the CR-X had an SiR trim for a while and those cars are still sought after ...which I think turns out to be a good thing for the company in the long run.

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
I dunno the only problem I have with this 'new generation' of coupes is that they are mini X6's or ZDX's. Especially as 2 door CUV / SUV's show up.

They are by no stretch of the imagination sleek and stylish. It is a sad path where cars are going.

:(

I don't quite understand the comparison of a coupe and a SUV. You mean the lack of power?

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
I really don't see why everyone is getting all excited over version of this:

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
Same reason they get excited over anything. Same reason people get excited over the Genesis Coupe, when there are plenty of other better, faster cars out there.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
Same reason they get excited over anything. Same reason people get excited over the Genesis Coupe, when there are plenty of other better, faster cars out there.
Yea, I gotcha on that one. I was simply trying to make a point that this to me is just a rehashed, refreshed 25+ year old design. It was kind of meant to be more of a retoracle question/statement than anything else.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
So what took them so long to figure out a "sport" hybrid was going to fail?

They still need to re work the rear end...looks like the insight from 10 years ago

·
Regular User
86 Posts
They look wild in person though. Clearly a Honda, but still unfamiliar at this point so it demands an extra look. The cars here now so disappointingly slow and surprisingly ineffecient as it is, that's what we/they get.

The current version needs to stay. There definitely needs to be a truly fast CR-Z and there needs to be an LX type with a standardish engine and yes the LX type should get a revised cabin so some short people can ride back there (think like the small fold down seats in a small extended cab pickup; not meant for adults). IF Honda did all that they'd add a good bit more flexibility to their line-up. I feel like the Hybrid and sport tuned version wouldn't get a back seat because of the battery pack in the Hybrid and for the sake of weight savings in the sport.

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
Like I said, rear seats aren't anything like a pie in the sky idea.. They're already there. We just didn't get them in the NA model. It couldn't be that costly to put them in, could it?

What we have now:

versus:

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I think the jdmm version got rear "seats"...saw a video where sombody tried to squeeze in there. If you think the coupe has no room in the rear seats your in for a big surprise...actually a 'small' one :)

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I thought there was also a saftey issue witht the rear seats, at least in the us? Can't remember though, as I read about several months ago

·
Registered
4,440 Posts

I feel the same way. The majority of people that were really crazy about this crap of a car was Honda faithfuls. When Honda produces a RWD,2+2,2.3 liter turbocharged new generation RSX for around 25k with sleek sexy styling then I will be "excited".

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
I don't quite understand the comparison of a coupe and a SUV. You mean the lack of power?
Styling of a 'sport SUV' instead of the sexiness of an exotic.

^^^
Raise the CRX, and put some mudders on it, and you got the next Honda SUV.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts