Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The guys down at Zoro muffler in Hamilton Ontario were nice enough to let me test out their new cat back exhaust system for the 2013 Genesis 3.8. They are home to Solo performance, and manufacture their kits there.

A few months back I contacted solo performance to see if they had a system for our cars, Jeff the main guy of solo performance replied and said, it was in development phases. Now being that I'm from Canada I was looking to purchase something locally. Shipping costs for an exhaust system can be deadly. When I heard that they were eventually going to produce a kit, I was excited to see something locally produced in Canada. Before this exhaust came out I did a custom setup on my car because in short terms, I needed more sound lol. Stock exhaust was to quiet for my taste.

First of all if you are looking for an exhaust with no drone, then look no further, this exhaust cuts all the interior noise you'd expect when adding a performance setup. I was so surprised how quiet it was driving around. When I put my foot on it a smooth tone came out of it. It wasn't ear piercing at all compared to some other systems I've heard in the past.

The exhaust is made out of stainless steel and put together very well. Welds all around are nice, and not slobby at all. It uses two resonators, an H pipe, and a dual in dual out muffler with built in xpipe, coming out to dual 3.5" tips on each side. One thing I notice is this exhaust does not crackle or backfire at all. That would be thanks to them engineering it with the H pipe to equalize the pressure from the two pipes.

Below are a few shots of the system:

For those interested. There is a group buy going on right now:
http://www.gencoupe.com/vendor-classifieds-engine/147633-group-buy-solo-performance-mach-xr-genesis-v6-catback-exhaust-kit-3-8l-genesis-v6.html

Here is a sound clip of the system, however videos won't do justice, the sound is so much more beautiful in person
http://www.gencoupe.com/vendor-classifieds-engine/147633-group-buy-solo-performance-mach-xr-genesis-v6-catback-exhaust-kit-3-8l-genesis-v6.html

·
What the what?
3,225 Posts
Ummm...that's not a final product is it? The system on your car? Those welds are not that great. Five year olds in China do a better job.

·
I drive a V6
4,978 Posts
Ummm...that's not a final product is it? The system on your car? Those welds are not that great. Five year olds in China do a better job.
Lol you realize all those shiny pipes from china are polished after welding.

·
What the what?
3,225 Posts

·
What the what?
3,225 Posts

·
What the what?
3,225 Posts

Lol you realize all those shiny pipes from china are polished after welding.
I'm confused as to why you mentioned the polishing when I was talking about the welds...

·
I drive a V6
4,978 Posts
The welds on most of the shiny stuff from china is polished, most probably electro polished.

If you polished the welds on the solo exhaust they would look the same.

·
What the what?
3,225 Posts
No...they wouldn't. See? These welds are polished, but still look worlds better and it was made in China.

·
What the what?
3,225 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
People get way to fixated on trivial aspects of car parts. Who cares if the pipes aren't polished? It's a moot point. You're talking about tacking on additional cost to the consumer for something no one will see unless you're intent on building an all out show car. Who is going to jack their car up to wash the undercarriage? I much rather have the quality and craftsmanship of a good system rather than the looks with horrible drone and/or fitment issues.

·
What the what?
3,225 Posts
Why are talking about polishing anyway? I only spoke of the welds...

·
Mature Speeder
717 Posts
Can you post a rear shot at the same level as the tips from about 15' behind the car. I want to see how the exhaust hangs under the car.

Also, I had a magnaflow and it droned. Reason is my car is a 13 3.8 track with auto tranny and the rpm range is not the same on the highway as the 6spd. As a result between 70-80mph the car hummed. If you accelerated without shifting like you would passing a car or keeping up with traffic it got annoying.
The mag is suppose to be the quietest out there so I'm a bit leary when I hear "no drone".

·
Jedi Master
6,461 Posts
quick question, why do people correlate "pretty" welds with "quality" welds?

My guess is no1 has any experience, other then myself and maybe a dozen others, actually holding a welder.

So short story= "ugly" welds with "excessive" added metal, giving it that bubbly uneven rough look, will withstand 100x more then a "pretty" smooth thin weld.

and if the part isn't visible from the outside i'd pick indestructible ugly welds over pretty welds that'll crank.

·
Registered
141 Posts
quick question, why do people correlate "pretty" welds with "quality" welds?

My guess is no1 has any experience, other then myself and maybe a dozen others, actually holding a welder.

So short story= "ugly" welds with "excessive" added metal, giving it that bubbly uneven rough look, will withstand 100x more then a "pretty" smooth thin weld.

and if the part isn't visible from the outside i'd pick indestructible ugly welds over pretty welds that'll crank.
Because shiny and pretty automatically equate to quality to most people. That's why I love the fact that there's a review page for our car parts. I learned a long time ago on my previous car how easy manufacturers can bait customers with false promises and shiny products. There are so many issues with aftermarket parts you would never even consider when you shop for parts; all things you tend to learn in the aftermath of purchasing an expensive paperweight.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm really confused because in your review you mention there's no crackle or pop sounds, but in the video they posted that's all you hear. Can you maybe post a sound clip of your car? I wonder if the 3.8 in the video had a different setup than you.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Car in video is mine and it does the odd crack or pop. My exhaust was also several months old at the time of the video. Once broken in, it's prob sounding different. If you want, I can place closer attention to the sound and report back. I don't notice it now lol.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts