Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to order some gears in from South Korea. I have the 3.53 lsd in my 2010 3.8 manual. Want to bump it up to 3.72 or 3.91. Do I need the Ring " and " pinion gears out of a 3.72..3.91. Do I need both gears?
Thanks

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?..I can get both gears for $470 shipped. I only need either the ring or pinion correct. Not both?

·
3point8 Performance
2,614 Posts
I've already done a write up on this, but you just need to buy a used pumpkin. You CAN get the ring and pinion by themselves, but that is the harder way to go. You can get a 3.73 complete pumpkin pretty cheap. I sell them all the time. 3.91s are getting expensive because I've basically sold most of them, so they're harder to get now, but still doable. I 100% recommend doing the upgrade, it makes the car so much more fun.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Dustin. Just going through all of my options. Shipping is so expensive to Canada for a complete pumpkin so I thought I would look into the ring and pinion itself to swap. How come you do not offer lsd differentials as well as open units?

·
shorttrack
1,623 Posts
He purchase the units and re-sells them . converting open into LSD is work and time consuming .Not good for small business sense.I personally am running in my 2014 R-spec ,a LSD 4.181:1 ring and pinion set and have a LSD 3.909:1 as back up .

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He purchase the units and re-sells them . converting open into LSD is work and time consuming .Not good for small business sense.I personally am running in my 2014 R-spec ,a LSD 4.181:1 ring and pinion set and have a LSD 3.909:1 as back .
What are you currently running at 60 mph for rpms with the 4.1?

·
shorttrack
1,623 Posts
What are you currently running at 60 mph for rpms with the 4.1?
I don't keep track but at 70 mph doing 3,000 rpm's --- at 80 mph doing 3,500 rpm's

·
In Charge of Snacks
2,063 Posts
Koraps has the gearsets listed for $328.10 USD. I assume with shipping that will jump to probably $420 to $450 USD. Don't know if that helps you in Canada. BTW, if Mr. Hwang is getting you sorted for $470 CND, well that's a pretty good deal, provided those are brand new factory gears.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Koraps has the gearsets listed for $328.10 USD. I assume with shipping that will jump to probably $420 to $450 USD. Don't know if that helps you in Canada. BTW, if Mr. Hwang is getting you sorted for $470 CND, well that's a pretty good deal, provided those are brand new factory gears.
..My mistake..$470 Usd Includes shipping for brand New factory gears. Buying a used differential from the States is insane due to shipping charges. I can get a new factory lsd differential for $1500 Usd shipped.

·
In Charge of Snacks
2,063 Posts
..My mistake..$470 Usd Includes shipping for brand New factory gears. Buying a used differential from the States is insane due to shipping charges. I can get a new factory lsd differential for $1500 Usd shipped.
Ok, then. I mean, I could check KORAPS for you, Hold Please...

Right, I entered the address for a random Timmy-Ho's in Surrey BC, Calgary AB, Mississauga ON, and Quebec City - All shipping was quoted the same at $66.40 US. Total after shipping $394.50 US. At today's nominal exchange rate you'd save about $99 CAD

So, It looks like you could do a tiny bit better, but you're not getting ripped off by any means at $470 US. Mind you, I used a California IP address to log into a Korean vendor. They might price things differently for you due to Maple Leaf customs and tariffs. IDK This Hwang dude might still be a good deal, or even cheaper.

Also, I tried to price out a complete assembled 2013+ Limited slip from a 3.8 auto. They had it listed at the normal discount dealer price of about $1600 US, but they don't actually carry it, so I couldn't try to order it to calculate shipping for you.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the input. A lot of guys use Albert for ordering. He has a good reputation and ships fast! The local Hyundai dealer wanted almost $500 cdn with tax for a rubber driveshaft coupler. I paid $165 cdn shipped to my door for the exact same factory part and had it in 5 days from South Korea.

·
In Charge of Snacks
2,063 Posts
Oh, no worries with KORAPS whatsoever. They've been an awesome flawless resource for years. However, the benefit of using a dude like Albert is that you can rely on him to do the research for you and get the right part, and even to fix things when a mistake does happen. Accidentally purchase the wrong part number from KORAPS and the mistake + shipping are on you. I haven't screwed up yet, but the research is critical and stresses me out a bit with the larger ticket items. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've already done a write up on this, but you just need to buy a used pumpkin. You CAN get the ring and pinion by themselves, but that is the harder way to go. You can get a 3.73 complete pumpkin pretty cheap. I sell them all the time. 3.91s are getting expensive because I've basically sold most of them, so they're harder to get now, but still doable. I 100% recommend doing the upgrade, it makes the car so much more fun.
Manual Transmission 3.9 best

1 - 15 of 15 Posts