Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here I sit, at 56,000 miles. Bought my car new in 2015.

Driving home from the gym, and my car threw a rod and put a hole in the block.

I feel that this is unusual. Mods are: intake, tb spacer, P&P Intake manifold, grimmspeed spacer, header back exhaust, SFR reflash, dual catch cans. I drive like an ass but there are individuals pushing way more power on stock internals. I am always on top of maintenance, and I wasn't even beating on it while it happened so I am kind of surprised.

Question is, am I crazy or is this out of the ordinary? Also I do not race or drift.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Each car varies depending on what went wrong. Usually a timing issue or lack of lubrication from failed oil pump. Aside from that idk how so many NA 3.8 cars are blowing engines. It's baffling to me honestly. 8 of 10 blown engine posts on FB are 3.8s too, stock or tuned. I understand 2.0T engines blowing for various reasons. Luckily I've gone 120K miles tuned (2.0 R) with no issues.....

·
Registered
171 Posts
This seems to be rare, assuming you've kept it up properly. A more important question might be, will Hyundai cover the engine with the mods. Keep up posted.

ominousone

·
Registered
306 Posts
It really isn't a rare occurrence on a GDI motor. Due to the EPA's never ending quest to get the most MPG's out of every auto manufacturer, everyone and their mother switched to GDI. GDI is probably the worst invention ever. Spraying all that fuel directly into the block, contaminating the oil and breaking it down.
Look how bad the situation is with the Theta GDI compared to the Theta I and Theta II's. They made so many engineering mistakes because the EPA dictated that Hyundai had to up the MPG's. The Theta GDI's bearings are almost half the size of the older Theta I and II's, the rods are thinner and lighter, etc. Add GDI and it's a double whammy.
At least Hyundai did it right with the BK's 2.0T not going GDI like the Sonata, Santa Fe, etc., but then they killed it off and sold only the 3.8 V6.
You do know the 3.8's origins, it's from the Azera's, Entourage and Vera Cruz and later they modified it and put it into the Genesis Sedan. Same rods, bearings, etc. It wasn't designed to be in a performance car.
BTW, it still should be covered under the 10 year Powertrain warranty since you are the original owner. Take all the aftermarket stuff off and put the stock stuff back on and take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
953 Posts
That seems a bit outrageous for that to happen to a modern car in this day and age, provided you keep up on maintenance and are not participating in competitive racing events. I would hope Hyundai would cover the complete cost of repairs and provide a rental at no cost while the car is down. Please keep us updated and best of luck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the response. I am in the process of converting back to stock, the ECU will be an issue though i’m sure. But i am reaching out to dealers and seeing who is more laid back about mods. More to follow!

·
Registered
306 Posts
SFR does reset back to stock. Are you near PA?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
*UPDATE*

The Hyundai dealer I went to has decided to replace my 3.8! Also in the meantime they hooked me up with a brand new sonata as a loaner car while mine is in the shop. Couldn't be happier. I had SFR reset my ecu to stock and took most mods off before bringing it in. Now I hate dealerships and their service departments but If anyone has issues, I think Hyundai tries very hard to help.

·
Registered
719 Posts
*UPDATE*

The Hyundai dealer I went to has decided to replace my 3.8! Also in the meantime they hooked me up with a brand new sonata as a loaner car while mine is in the shop. Couldn't be happier. I had SFR reset my ecu to stock and took most mods off before bringing it in. Now I hate dealerships and their service departments but If anyone has issues, I think Hyundai tries very hard to help.
Thats awesome!! Glad to hear that!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts