Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been curious to know how many of you still run Rotella T6 in your engine, what your change interval is and if you've performed an oil analysis to see if it holds up well.

Curious to hear back from everyone!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm curious as well. Currently running M1 0-40w. A co-worker who tracks a supercharged FRS started running Motul and loves it. I also ran Motul in a GSXR600 for 55K and that bike had zero issues when I sold it.

So I'm between Motul & T6 currently.

·
Registered
221 Posts
im currently running rotella t6, haven't changed oil yet, picked up the car at 5600 (dont know if previous owner did first oil change.... or wut kinda oil he was running, but the oil came out ok and no metal shavings or anything) and i changed it to rotella t6 at 7600, now im at about 9000. so im not due for another oil change for another 3k or so. can't tell you how the oil will come out, im planning on doing 4500~5000 intervals on the rotella

so far tho my impression of the oil is pretty good, engine runs smooth, no issues yet with this oil. can't comment on mpg (which i dont really care too much for anyways) because i've been heavy foot for the last few weeks due to downpipe install.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I really haven't had any issues either, the car runs fantastic but I'd love to see an oil analysis to be sure. During my next oil change I'll be sending it in. I change my oil every 5000 miles.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I wouldn't use it, I had sludge problems with it in my Porsche and had a warranty claim denied and went back to Mobile 1.
I only use Mobile 1 in the Genesis, go to WalMart it is $24 for a 5 quart jug and it is the best motor oil money can buy.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldn't use it, I had sludge problems with it in my Porsche and had a warranty claim denied and went back to Mobile 1.
I only use Mobile 1 in the Genesis, go to WalMart it is $24 for a 5 quart jug and it is the best motor oil money can buy.
Did the sludge problem continue with Mobil 1? I assume it did not, but have you done anything else while you switched back to Mobil to help the sludge problem?

·
Registered
378 Posts
try that penzoil platinum stuff

·
Registered
134 Posts
There are plenty of T6 oil threads in the forums. T6 syn doesn't sludge, sure it was an isolated eng problem/not due to T6. I speculate other fluids were mixing or oil sheared from a specific eng problem.

Mobil 1 & Penn seem to be a bit thinner, run a few degrees hotter...though are proven excellent. Lots of Canadians using T6 on our eng without issue...even in ext cold temps. Probably #1 choice for Sonata turbo.

I tried Penn Ultra 5-40, but had some valve train noise that I didn't like. Oil temps ran a few degree hotter. I think it's a thin oil for that viscosity.

I'm running 4 qts T6 & .5 qt Penn Ultra 5-40 this oil chg. Quiet idle, oil temp stayed consistent with multiple high load pulls running Stage-AT tune.

I'm running Mobile 0-40 in my Sonata, but only this oil chg. Not by choice, but it seems to be fine. Going T6/.5 Ultra for next chg.

More important than anything is chg intervals & filter choice. If she is a daily driver, with short durations of boost...then 5K should be fine. If you are hammering it, getting your turbo to glow red...consider the old std of 3K with syn of course. Not being direct injection does help a little for oil longevity.

Bobstheoilguy.com is an outstanding resource. I wish more threads like this were backed up with oil sample results. Maybe we should start that thread, and you cannot post unless you have a sample report! I'm guilty too...hence this reply.

M

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
378 Posts
Interesting^

Any differences with that new penz "Natural gas" line they released?

·
Registered
88 Posts
The service manager told me to go back to Mobile 1 0W 40 and change the oil for 2000 mile intervals for next 6000 miles then resume regular 5000 mile oil changes. He said the Mobil 1 would clean up the sludge.

Did the sludge problem continue with Mobil 1? I assume it did not, but have you done anything else while you switched back to Mobil to help the sludge problem?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Sludge engine cant just clean up with oil. If anything it would be bad if that happened. Any of the sludge breaks off can clog up oil ports if its really bad.

·
Registered
58 Posts
i've used it on all the vehicles ive had or still have and haven't had any problems or mishaps, m3 (gone), my wife's turbo sonata(still have), my bike (600rr and gone). With the sonata i felt it works great, im gonna give it to my gencoupe that i picked up recently but im sure it will work great as well. also Bobstheoilguy.com IS an outstanding resource alot of good information.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
There are plenty of T6 oil threads in the forums. T6 syn doesn't sludge, sure it was an isolated eng problem/not due to T6. I speculate other fluids were mixing or oil sheared from a specific eng problem.

Mobil 1 & Penn seem to be a bit thinner, run a few degrees hotter...though are proven excellent. Lots of Canadians using T6 on our eng without issue...even in ext cold temps. Probably #1 choice for Sonata turbo.

I tried Penn Ultra 5-40, but had some valve train noise that I didn't like. Oil temps ran a few degree hotter. I think it's a thin oil for that viscosity.

I'm running 4 qts T6 & .5 qt Penn Ultra 5-40 this oil chg. Quiet idle, oil temp stayed consistent with multiple high load pulls running Stage-AT tune.

I'm running Mobile 0-40 in my Sonata, but only this oil chg. Not by choice, but it seems to be fine. Going T6/.5 Ultra for next chg.

More important than anything is chg intervals & filter choice. If she is a daily driver, with short durations of boost...then 5K should be fine. If you are hammering it, getting your turbo to glow red...consider the old std of 3K with syn of course. Not being direct injection does help a little for oil longevity.

Bobstheoilguy.com is an outstanding resource. I wish more threads like this were backed up with oil sample results. Maybe we should start that thread, and you cannot post unless you have a sample report! I'm guilty too...hence this reply.

M

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
A lot of those threads are a couple years old with small paragraph responses that were largely inconclusive. I'm trying to encourage a more scientific discussion with this post. Oil tests and all, thanks for the info!

·
Desert Rat
1,246 Posts
Use an Oil that is made for a gasoline engine not a Diesel. This Rotella trend is down right retarded if you ask me. Stick with Mobile 1 unless you have a Dodge Cummins.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Use an Oil that is made for a gasoline engine not a Diesel. This Rotella trend is down right retarded if you ask me. Stick with Mobile 1 unless you have a Dodge Cummins.
Is there a particular reason as to why the diesel oil wouldn't be suitable if it passes the gasoline's counterparts standards? Just curious.

·
Super Moderator
13,001 Posts
There isn't any. T6 while labeled as a diesel oil, also has JASO certification for motorcycles, which rev to 14k+ and use it as clutch and transmission oil at the same time with a tiny filter. It's also API certified for gasoline engines. What's down right 'retarded' is bold ignorance.

To the Porsche owner, Mobil 1 won't clean up sludge, no oil will completely remove sludge and you'd have to change your filter every 500 miles to ensure you didn't clog it. Your 'service advisor' or 'technician' is full of ****. Volvo and Subaru guys have been using it in turbo cars for literally decades, largest complaint is a smell when it leaks onto things like manifolds.

I've used T6 5w-40 in my 2.0T for years now. When I tore the engine apart to upgrade the internals, this is what I found;
- reusable bearings
- ideal bucket wear
- zero polishing of the cylinder walls
- not even an ounce of sludge anywhere in the engine

I don't have lab analysis reports to back up my usage, but I've got hours of footage from me taking the engine apart that you can gladly view on my YouTube anytime you'd like not to mention pictures of the tear down process.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There isn't any. T6 while labeled as a diesel oil, also has JASO certification for motorcycles, which rev to 14k+ and use it as clutch and transmission oil at the same time with a tiny filter. It's also API certified for gasoline engines. What's down right 'retarded' is bold ignorance.

To the Porsche owner, Mobil 1 won't clean up sludge, no oil will completely remove sludge and you'd have to change your filter every 500 miles to ensure you didn't clog it. Your 'service advisor' or 'technician' is full of ****. Volvo and Subaru guys have been using it in turbo cars for literally decades, largest complaint is a smell when it leaks onto things like manifolds.

I've used T6 5w-40 in my 2.0T for years now. When I tore the engine apart to upgrade the internals, this is what I found;
- reusable bearings
- ideal bucket wear
- zero polishing of the cylinder walls
- not even an ounce of sludge anywhere in the engine

I don't have lab analysis reports to back up my usage, but I've got hours of footage from me taking the engine apart that you can gladly view on my YouTube anytime you'd like not to mention pictures of the tear down process.
I checked the 2013's owners manual and the T6 also passes the oil certifications (not all) but the main one. API SM, I believe.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts