Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
So I did a oil change in my 14 2.0t and went with the t6 and I have noticed that the car seams to run smoother and a lot less noise the only thing that I'm concerned about is that the oil temp seams to run a little higher then it previously did. But it is at a consistent temp..it's only been 4 days since I did it so I'll just ride it out and see how it go's

·
Desert Rat
1,246 Posts
I am not really one to switch oils like that. I feel that what you start with you should stick with but that is just me. I have seen some serious horror stories in the Subie world with T6 just saying. To each their own I guess.. The last time I checked a diesel motor operates under a totally different spectrum than a gas engine...

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've been running T6 for about 7k miles and have changed it twice. Probably could extend the intervals since it's a DD, but I wanted to see what it looked like after running it for a while.

I have had no problems and plan on continuing using it. I ordered a sample kit from blackstone labs and will send it in next oil change, but that won't be for at least a month or two. I'll report back here when I get the results.

I am not really one to switch oils like that. I feel that what you start with you should stick with but that is just me. I have seen some serious horror stories in the Subie world with T6 just saying. To each their own I guess.. The last time I checked a diesel motor operates under a totally different spectrum than a gas engine...
So if something is better I shouldn't switch to it because I wasn't already using it? "****, accidentally put 5w-20 in my car the first oil change guess I'm stuck with it for the rest of the car's life." :D

Not ragging on you. I see what you're saying; pick a good oil and stick with it. I just think if there's an opportunity to improve one should take it. We'll see what the oil analysis has to say to see if it's actually an improvement, but after what I've seen through snoopy's videos and posts about t6 in this car, I'm inclined to say that it is.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Tried out T6 on my last oil change. Valve train noise was noticeably quieter and the engine seemed to like it! Might switch to something a bit lighter for the winter months here in Canada, but no complaints this summer with the T6

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The big issue with diesel oils (from my google research, so take it with a grain of salt) is that there are more additives and if your car is burning oil then those additives will destroy your catalytic converters.

So it seems the only issue is from an emissions stand point and since no one cares about cats, we're all good. :p

·
Registered
669 Posts
To the Porsche owner, Mobil 1 won't clean up sludge, no oil will completely remove sludge and you'd have to change your filter every 500 miles to ensure you didn't clog it. Your 'service advisor' or 'technician' is full of ****.
This.

I worked for Lexus for a while back in '02-'04. We had a problem with RX300 motors sludging like crazy (actually happened to my moms as well). The only fix was a complete tear down, clean and rebuild of the engine. Draining the oil and adding new oil to it won't fix a sludged engine.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The big issue with diesel oils (from my google research, so take it with a grain of salt) is that there are more additives and if your car is burning oil then those additives will destroy your catalytic converters.

So it seems the only issue is from an emissions stand point and since no one cares about cats, we're all good. :p
this is true, if you are burning oil, t6 will be a bit harder on your cats if you still haven't gotten a o2 housing and test pipes :D

that's pretty much what i've gathered from research too, and luckily for me, i have no cats to worry about so im all good.

I used to live by mobil1 full synths, it's a great oil, but it just seems a bit too thin for a turbo engine, so the t6 just made more sense to me.

the other oil i've used before in my previous cars is schaeffer's 7000, it's a blend, but a very very good blend. it's just you have to watch your intervals closer with that, but that oil is so smooth.... and quiets most powertrain noise i've ran into. but i haven't really heard any gencoupe guys using this oil, so i just went with the t6 instead.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have been putting T6 in all my vehicles (cars and bikes) for years. I switched over to the T6 when the majority of the oils drastically dropped their zinc levels. From all the research I did at the time, the T6 had the highest remaining zinc concentration on the market.

·
ex-dsmer/boost addict
187 Posts
I've been running t6 in my 2010 2.0t for the past 20k miles and I have zero complaints. It comes out clean every time right around 4k miles. I won't use anything else in it. I also used to run this in all of my previous dsm's after Mobile 1 seemed to thin out in hotter temps.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
running T6 with completely stock 2013 gen coupe... is this a potential problem for my cat converters?!
Only if you are burning oil, the additional additives may clog your cats over time. I'm not sure how long it will take, but your car should not be burning oil.

·
Registered
145 Posts
T6 is good for motorcycles/manual 4wheeler transmissions because it doesn't have friction modifiers which doesn't work well for clutches. Saying that it's good for 14k revving engines in the same sentence isn't necessarily correct. Of course no one will notice a problem running one oil against another for a few thousand miles. As said above, get an oil analysis then come back with results. Blackstone will send you the kit for free, pay $25 and you will a true analysis of your oil. I'll do it if you guys are game, otherwise it's just another long ass thread about what oil is "best".
Change your oil at regular intervals, use a Hyundai filter and you will be fine. Move on from the 40 page argument about which oil is better, no one keeps their car long enough to matter. Are you guys going to keep your Genny for 200k? I have a 94 Chevy with 180k on it with only conventional oil used for life that runs strong, no smoke. Not sure what else I could have done, always used cheap oil, FRAM (****) filters. Lucky? No, I run that stuff on all my "junk". I use quality oil & filters on the stuff I care about like the Gen, just in case there is a question.
BTW Bobistheoilguy.com is the site you need to get on and read for days before you comment.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
T6 is good for motorcycles/manual 4wheeler transmissions because it doesn't have friction modifiers which doesn't work well for clutches. Saying that it's good for 14k revving engines in the same sentence isn't necessarily correct. Of course no one will notice a problem running one oil against another for a few thousand miles. As said above, get an oil analysis then come back with results. Blackstone will send you the kit for free, pay $25 and you will a true analysis of your oil. I'll do it if you guys are game, otherwise it's just another long ass thread about what oil is "best".
Change your oil at regular intervals, use a Hyundai filter and you will be fine. Move on from the 40 page argument about which oil is better, no one keeps their car long enough to matter. Are you guys going to keep your Genny for 200k? I have a 94 Chevy with 180k on it with only conventional oil used for life that runs strong, no smoke. Not sure what else I could have done, always used cheap oil, FRAM (****) filters. Lucky? No, I run that stuff on all my "junk". I use quality oil & filters on the stuff I care about like the Gen, just in case there is a question.
BTW Bobistheoilguy.com is the site you need to get on and read for days before you comment.
I'll be doing an oil analysis within the next month, I encourage you to do the same. I would love to see the comparison. :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm in Necrodox, I'm only at 2500 miles - still on the factory fill Quaker State. I'm going with Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 as soon as I can change out - hopefully tomorrow. I think we can make this a great thread if we can get some other folks to post up analysis. It would be awesome if T6 came out on top, I just put out $34 for 6 quarts of oil - I change my own.
I'm running up miles pretty fast so I should be able to get the results on the Pennzoil quickly, I'm not going to bother with the factory fill.
I use T6 in my Honda 450r trans and my John Deere tractor, I am skeptical about it in my Gen. I think Rotella would market it if it they could for all these other applications. I truly hope it is some "secret"...that only EVERY automotive forum has multiple posts about haha.

·
Super Moderator
13,001 Posts
Not my results, engine was an Audi 2.7TT. Personal data censored and notes removed to protect the individuals information as it's not mine.

Notes pertained to copper content, it was felt that the turbo bearings could be starting to go, considering the mileage, it's quite possible.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
I'm in Necrodox, I'm only at 2500 miles - still on the factory fill Quaker State. I'm going with Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 as soon as I can change out - hopefully tomorrow. I think we can make this a great thread if we can get some other folks to post up analysis. It would be awesome if T6 came out on top, I just put out $34 for 6 quarts of oil - I change my own.
I'm running up miles pretty fast so I should be able to get the results on the Pennzoil quickly, I'm not going to bother with the factory fill.
I use T6 in my Honda 450r trans and my John Deere tractor, I am skeptical about it in my Gen. I think Rotella would market it if it they could for all these other applications. I truly hope it is some "secret"...that only EVERY automotive forum has multiple posts about haha.
Sounds like a plan, I also do my own oil changes so extracting a sample will be cake. Black Stone supplies free kits for storing the oil (Blackstone Labs), analysis will obviously cost money. Please take consideration in regards to your driving habits so that we can log that into our data as well.

I change my oil at 5k on the mark and I'm about 300 miles away, I'm looking forward to the results.

Not my results, engine was an Audi 2.7TT. Personal data censored and notes removed to protect the individuals information as it's not mine.

Notes pertained to copper content, it was felt that the turbo bearings could be starting to go, considering the mileage, it's quite possible.

Snoopy, when analyzing these oil reports what do you pay attention to most? Just curious.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts