Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

Rough idle

8K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Turner 2.0 
#1 ·
For the past few days I have a rough idle once the engine is warmed up and the idle is around 800 rpm’s (MIL light is off and has never been on since I’ve owned the car). When stopped at a light or just parked and engine running, the rpm’s will randomly drop to 700 - 750 rpm’s (seen both on rpm gauge and scan tool) for a spit second then back up to 800 rpm’s. It happens anywhere from every couple of seconds to minutes.
I took it in to the dealer yesterday and they said they saw a code in the history (they never wrote it down on my copy of the work order) and that they switched the coil/plug from cylinder 4 to some other cylinder.
15 minutes after leaving the deal it’s doing it again! I called them and they said they have sent a message/request to Hyundai engineering. I’m still waiting to hear back from the dealer.

Has anyone had this issue? Sounds to me like a bad coil/plug, I don’t know why they didn’t just change the coil/plug.

2013 Genesis Coupe 2.0T

#2 ·
how many miles on it ..check you spark plugs if you are tuned runs pig rich and will foul them out fast

#3 ·
Switching coilon plug is just a test to see if the mis follows it. Why didn't they just replace the bad coil on plug if it was suspected to be bad?

I find it strange for new car I assume you are posting in the 2013 section that a coil on plug is bad this fast.

Find out what the code was. I know there is a service bulletin for cyl contribution balance issue.

#4 ·
they swaped to cause they dont know if it was a coil or plug so if they move the coil and miss follows that coil ,they will install new coil if not they will try plugs ,if that dont fix it then you go deeper head/valve ect ect

just them going cheap to not have to replace it and not fix it and waste they warrenty money most dealers are only alowed so much $ warrenty ,if there high in warrnety the mite get oddited ect

#6 ·
For the past few days I have a rough idle once the engine is warmed up and the idle is around 800 rpm’s (MIL light is off and has never been on since I’ve owned the car). When stopped at a light or just parked and engine running, the rpm’s will randomly drop to 700 - 750 rpm’s (seen both on rpm gauge and scan tool) for a spit second then back up to 800 rpm’s. It happens anywhere from every couple of seconds to minutes.
I took it in to the dealer yesterday and they said they saw a code in the history (they never wrote it down on my copy of the work order) and that they switched the coil/plug from cylinder 4 to some other cylinder.
15 minutes after leaving the deal it’s doing it again! I called them and they said they have sent a message/request to Hyundai engineering. I’m still waiting to hear back from the dealer.

Has anyone had this issue? Sounds to me like a bad coil/plug, I don’t know why they didn’t just change the coil/plug.

2013 Genesis Coupe 2.0T

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.