Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm running a staggered setup and can only rotate side to side. On top of this, these tires are asym, so the outside will still be the outside. They are not directional, so it's not that I can't rotate. Should I? I've got maybe 8k miles on them and I'm going in for an oil change anyway.

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
3,077 Posts
No harm in it, at least it's a chance to check the tires for nails, etc. Just be sure to look at the inside edge of the fronts, toe likes to go out on these cars.

·
Registered
371 Posts
If the inside is still going to be the inside, regardless of what side the tire is on, I don’t see the point of rotating them.

It’s one of the reasons why I prefer symmetrical tread patterns.

·
In Charge of Snacks
2,055 Posts
Yeah, but even if you do have symmetrical tread, you have to remount the tires. There's no winning with inside to outside wear disparity. I told myself I was going to rotate my staggered Michelins this time, but every time I inspect for uneven wear between driver and passenger side, they look pretty good. I did once go front to back just to clown around. DORIFTO SAIDUWAYZU!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Yeah, but even if you do have symmetrical tread, you have to remount the tires. There's no winning with inside to outside wear disparity.

I do have lifetime balance w/ Discount Tire, so they only charge me a nominal fee to dismount/mount the tires. More than makes up for it in balanced tread wear. Especially on a lowered car. I’m at 37k right now on my fronts, which includes one track day. It works for me.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I do have lifetime balance w/ Discount Tire, so they only charge me a nominal fee to dismount/mount the tires. More than makes up for it in balanced tread wear. Especially on a lowered car. I’m at 37k right now on my fronts, which includes one track day. It works for me.
Oh, Hello there, America's Tire! :wink:
Thank you for your continued support - we greatly appreciate it!

·
In Charge of Snacks
2,055 Posts
I would rotate them on the regular as it may help with cupping.
If the outside shoulder tread is always on the outside, how might rotating the tires prevent cupping? Just factoring in habitual load and daily commute, maybe? As far as Pilot super sports are concerned, I've had mine long enough that the tread and channels are starting to show checking. My tread depth is still legal, but my outer shoulders are all kinds of worn down. I guess that's the mark of a great tire - they work flawlessly and then age-out before they wear out.

On the dark side, they're pretty damned expensive. I think I paid just under $1,400 for my last set from you guys including tax and services. I did get some bonus money back on some gift cards, though. Tell me, is there anything you would/could recommend in the $750 to $1,000 range?(255/35/19fr, 275 to 285/35/19r) Also, is there such a thing as a street legal max performance Summer tire at any price that's symmetrical and bi-directional? That would sure be refreshing to see...

·
Registered
371 Posts
I’m eager to try the General G-Max RS. Lots of good feedback from guys using them for dual purpose, daily and track use. Symmetrical but not bi-directional, so still cross rotatable. 360 tread wear, so not Michelin grip levels, but well below your budget and will likely last longer. Also, General now manufactured by Continental, so that’s also a plus.

Also read good things about Firestone Indy 500s. Great grip, relatively inexpensive, but not symmetrical.

·
In Charge of Snacks
2,055 Posts
Yeah, everybody I know with Firehawk Indy 500s loves them. Shocked by the performance and durability compared to the price. They're 9/10ths SuperSports at half the price.

·
Registered
430 Posts
If the outside shoulder tread is always on the outside, how might rotating the tires prevent cupping? Just factoring in habitual load and daily commute, maybe?.
It won't prevent it per se, but touching both sides of the axle can smooth out any tread irregularities due to wear.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I’m eager to try the General G-Max RS. Lots of good feedback from guys using them for dual purpose, daily and track use. Symmetrical but not bi-directional, so still cross rotatable. 360 tread wear, so not Michelin grip levels, but well below your budget and will likely last longer. Also, General now manufactured by Continental, so that’s also a plus.

Also read good things about Firestone Indy 500s. Great grip, relatively inexpensive, but not symmetrical.
Installed them on my rears a few weeks ago. I was not happy at first (it felt a lot bouncier and less planted than my ventus evo2s) but after some wear-in (150miles or so) they feel much better.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Installed them on my rears a few weeks ago. I was not happy at first (it felt a lot bouncier and less planted than my ventus evo2s) but after some wear-in (150miles or so) they feel much better.

I put a set on 5 months ago, and was pleased right out of the gate. My prior tire was a BFG Comp T/A AS, and while they were a good road tire in terms of wet and mileage performance, the Generals are a much better performance tire. I recently took the car to a track day at Road Atlanta, and they performed even better than I expected. I did a short write up in the encyclopedic “Wheels” thread.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I put a set on 5 months ago, and was pleased right out of the gate. My prior tire was a BFG Comp T/A AS, and while they were a good road tire in terms of wet and mileage performance, the Generals are a much better performance tire. I recently took the car to a track day at Road Atlanta, and they performed even better than I expected. I did a short write up in the encyclopedic “Wheels” thread.
For the money,......................the G-max is probalby all things considered, the best tire out there for the atypical Gen afficianado.
Prior to my insane setup I had these,...great great great.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts