Hyundai Genesis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 225 Posts

·
that guy
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got my Saikou Michi dual oil catch can setup ( thanks again Snoopy! ), here are some pics and install info for the setup. I was going to post this in Snoopy's catch can development thread, but it seems to have disappeared, so i'm starting my own thread.

First some pics-

This is what you get when you order the "total package" from Saikou Michi. This consists of the cans, the remote oil drain lines, and every single hose and hose clamp you need for the kit already cut to perfect length.

Snoopy has an excellent walkthrough video on how to install this setup, so I won't go into too much detail about the install, the video is here:

Now about the install. It's not too bad honestly, you can do it with basic hand tools, a jack and jack stands. Just follow all of Snoopy's advice from the video.

This is why you need a catch can, all this oil goes right back into your turbo / intercooler/intake system unless you have one. Yuck!

You get oily gunk both on the inlet and oulet of the compressor housing, and basically everywhere else too. If you let this go unchecked long enough, you'll end up with pools of sludge at the base of your intercooler.

Hoses installed on catch cans- you should install all the hoses first, before mounting the cans. It's pretty much impossible to access the top of the can to mount the hoses once the can is mounted in place.

Routing the hoses for the catch can, this was a serious pain in the butt, those hoses are really tough and inflexible, and the area you must route them through is very tight! Just good luck there..

In this pic, the can is already mounted in place, and i'm working on figuring out where to mount the remote drains. I ended up cutting each of those remote drain hoses in half

Catch can installed, view from the engine bay

Catch can installed, view from under the car. It's really close to the steering rack, but that part of the rack does not move ( it stays in place but spins ) so there is plenty of clearance and this is a totally safe place to mount it. There is absolutely no danger of any part of the steering rack ever contacting any part of the catch cans

Remote drain lines installed, here's a good pic of how I did it, pretty much just followed Snoopy's advice from the video. It does indeed seem like the best place to mount the remotes

There really was not much to complain about during this install, but here is the one somewhat major issue I ran into. I'm not sure if this was user error ( lol i'm the user! ) or if it was due to how tough and inflexible the hoses were, or if it's due to Hyundai's cheap build quality ( or all of the above ), but I managed to snap the plastic nipple off my valve cover when installing one of the hoses from the catch can kit. I kind of panicked a little bit at first, but fixing the issue took less than 10 minutes. Here is the broken piece:

Seriously Hyundai, who puts a plastic valve cover on their sports cars?

Here's how I fixed that issue- I took a drill, very slightly enlarged the hole on the valve cover ( while making sure to keep a shop vac running to clean up the plastic shavings ). Then I took a tap and die kit, and threaded the hole. Then I screwed in a metal NPT fitting, which fit perfectly with no issues. This is actually much, much stronger than the OEM plastic nipple. If any of you guys run into this issue, do this fix. The parts are available at any ACE hardware for under $5

Overall the catch can is perfect, the most perfect catch can I have ever owned. I highly recommend this product! If you don't have a catch can yet, you need one, and this is the one to get.

Thanks for reading!

·
, SJ is the man
9 Posts
Moved to product reviews. If you'd like it in DIY let me know.

·
that guy
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No this is fine:) I didn't really do a DIY so the review section makes more sense

·
Registered
397 Posts
It looks great! I still can't wait till I hear back from them and finally get one myself! Just curious, is it worth it to remove all intercooler piping and drain any oil that may have been trapped in there or will it eventually get blown through now that you have a cc?

·
that guy
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Woah that's a lot of hoses. How does the drain work? It look's like you just remove the butterfly cap?
Yep you just screw the butterfly caps all the way in, and the goop will drain right out. Then screw the butterfly caps all the way back out, and that seals it back up again.

Yes it's sure as hell is a lot of hoses! lol!

Routing them is really tough, just be patient and I hope your arms are thinner than mine. Some of the spaces are really tight, I recommend having a second person to help with routing. One person below the car, and one person looking down from the engine bay. It will save your sanity.

·
that guy
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It looks great! I still can't wait till I hear back from them and finally get one myself! Just curious, is it worth it to remove all intercooler piping and drain any oil that may have been trapped in there or will it eventually get blown through now that you have a cc?
I'll leave that up to each person's discretion, every car is different. In my case, I looked down in my intercooler piping and I could clearly see that it was still clean in there with no black streaking anywhere to indicate that any major amount of oil was making it to my intercooler. My car also has only 30k miles, and the intercooler went on less than 20k miles ago, so take that into account when making your own decision. Getting the bumper off and removing the intercooler core takes less than 30 minutes ( if you have an aftermarket FMIC, with the OEM FMIC, it would take considerably longer ). If you wanted to clean up your FMIC, it would take 30 minutes to get it out of the car for cleaning. It's easily worth it if you think you might have a bad oil problem

·
GCMafia
3,442 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
This kit looks awesome! How much did it cost?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
*$ for a complete kit with remote drains.

upd:link ok probably?

upd: removed everything. That's terrible, that does not help the community.

·
Premium Member
13,004 Posts
Some tips;
-warm the hose end up with a space heater or carefully with a lighter, it'll soften the rubber up and it'll slip right on.
-if you have the time and energy, clean your piping and intercooler core if you've got quite a few miles on the car without a catch system.

Awesome write up kepone! Just think, I installed it by myself with one arm while filming in -18c :)

lokiinlove, prices can't be posted as SM isn't a vendor, please edit your post.

·
Premium Member
13,004 Posts
Oh! and forgot to mention, I'll be posting a video up in my YouTube for quick tip on how to make sure you don't harm your engine because you forgot to drain your catch can.

·
that guy
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some tips;
-warm the hose end up with a space heater or carefully with a lighter, it'll soften the rubber up and it'll slip right on.
-if you have the time and energy, clean your piping and intercooler core if you've got quite a few miles on the car without a catch system.

Awesome write up kepone! Just think, I installed it by myself with one arm while filming in -18c :)

lokiinlove, prices can't be posted as SM isn't a vendor, please edit your post.
Yikes! -18C.. you are nuts. I was whining and complaining about working in +30-45 degree temperatures all weekend. I just moved back to the north after living in sunny florida for 7 years though, i'm not used to this cold stuff! At -18C I think my body would go into an involuntary state of suspended animation.

Regarding the install- It's hard to say just how long it actually took, since I was doing my big turbo install at the same time. I would estimate 2-3 hours to install the catch can, especially if you're working by yourself. Just take your time, the toughest part is the 10mm bolt on the catch can bracket closest to the front of the car, you'll bust up your knuckles pretty good tightening that ****er.

The issue with breaking the plastic nipple off did not happen when I first installed the can, it happened when I discovered something was wrong with the turbo install, and I had to pull the turbo and manifold off again, which made me have to remove both turbo side catch can hoses, and that's when the plastic nipple broke. I just went ahead with completing the turbo install, and by the time I got to where I had to re-attach those catch can hoses, I had thought of the solution I noted in the original post above^

·
that guy
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh! and forgot to mention, I'll be posting a video up in my YouTube for quick tip on how to make sure you don't harm your engine because you forgot to drain your catch can.
How often do you recommend draining the can? Monthly? every oil change? ( I use M1 0w40, 6k mile oil change interval )

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
It's been discussed somewhere, can depend on anything. Like how hard you drive. Should be ok during every oil change, but i'd try to empty one after 3000 and see how much i've got, then calculate the approximate milage where i'll get a full one.

·
Korean Asswhoopin
1,228 Posts
Where to buy? I probably missed that somewhere. I would love this setup because it's stealthy and my car is constantly on the lift so draining would be cake for me. I take it the cans are baffled?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Nice write up and pictures ! It might be camera angle ,your drain hoses look like they hang a little low and not allow a full drain ,possibly shorten them? Still waiting for my 2nd email .

·
that guy
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Nice write up and pictures ! It might be camera angle ,your drain hoses look like they hang a little low and not allow a full drain ,possibly shorten them? Still waiting for my 2nd email .
I left the drain hoses that way intentionally, I did not want them to be super tight/taut. I intend to undo the 10mm nut that fastens them to the car and let the drain lines hang down completely, for a proper gravity drain, every time I empty the cans.

·
that guy
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Where to buy? I probably missed that somewhere. I would love this setup because it's stealthy and my car is constantly on the lift so draining would be cake for me. I take it the cans are baffled?

There was a whole development thread in the 2.0T forum, but it's disappeared for some reason. It had all the purchase info in there. Snoopy can let you know how to buy it.

·
Registered
591 Posts
All good with the drain hoses ,as I have not got my kit yet I will thinking of a way to do something like you,only with a clip or bracket to slip on or off/ in or out

1 - 20 of 225 Posts