Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the gen 1s use the same manual tranny as the 13s? And can anyone tell me a part # or name for the tranny please , cannot find it . Thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
454 Posts
2010-12 2.0T uses the Hyundai M6VR1 transmission.
2010-12 3.8 uses the Hyundai M6VR2 transmission.

M6VR1 and M6VR2 are more ore less identical except for gear ratios, and starter location. Apparently, Hyundai made tweaks to the transmission internals for better reliability throughout production. Even with the changes, it seems to not be the most reliable transmission.

All 2013s use the M6VR2 transmission. It's largely the same as the 10-12 M6VR2 transmission, but I believe it has somewhat upgraded internals.

This is all covered in excruciating detail in these 2 threads:
http://www.gencoupe.com/engine/23124-official-thread-manual-transmission-issues.html
http://www.gencoupe.com/engine/117454-manual-transmission-development-thread.html

·
Super Moderator
13,001 Posts
awesome job covering it yyonline.

I'm just going to add, you cannot put a 2.0T MT on a 3.8 and vice versa without swapping the bell housings (oh and the main shaft), the rest is all the same though. As yyonline noted, the starter location is different between the M6VR1 and the M6VR2, this is because originally the M6VR2 was exclusive to the V6 and thus didn't need a bell housing for a 2.0T. In 2013 that changed as the 2.0T made significant gains in power requiring taller first gears (only difference in gearing is 1, 2 and 3), thus the M6VR1 bell housing continued however with M6VR2 gearing, since the gearing matched they just dropped the M6VR1 name instead of coming up with M6VR3 to prevent any confusion despite the different bell housings.

·
Keeps Them Guessing!!
498 Posts
But have they upgraded the syncros yet? If I go and try to get a new trans for my 2010 will it be upgraded with better internals?

·
Registered
711 Posts
The 2014 year model transmissions will have carbon synchros according to an extremely reliable source.

How much better are carbon Synchros?

·
Super Moderator
13,001 Posts
depends on who you ask tbh. It's kind of like upgrading your brakes, carbon ceramics (carbon-kevlar fiber in the case of the synchros) have to reach a certain temperature before they maximize their abilities, they also make the gear engagement very abrupt and not "sporty" at all, more "race car" and are not fantastic for daily driving.

I'm not sure who his source is but 2014 is a carry over MY for the GC, paint and option changes that's pretty much it. Late next year the GC gets completely redone so we'll have to wait and see what happens there.

A carbon-kevlar synchro kit usually costs between $3-700 depending on transmission, gears and synchro count.

·
Registered
711 Posts
The Honda guys use carbon synchros a lot. That's what I'm finding anyways

·
Super Moderator
13,001 Posts
I was told over a year ago that Hyundai is developing a new MT, more than likely because of the AWD going into the K-platform that the Genesis, Coupe and Equus are built on. But they could also be sick of the complaints and want something "better". DCT is a manumatic and stupid expensive to repair and maintain.

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
3,086 Posts
I was told over a year ago that Hyundai is developing a new MT, more than likely because of the AWD going into the K-platform that the Genesis, Coupe and Equus are built on. But they could also be sick of the complaints and want something "better". DCT is a manumatic and stupid expensive to repair and maintain.
Well I was asking mostly because of you comment about abrupt shifts which is a hallmark of DCTs. Expensive or no I would spring for one, especially with the tuning possibilities the rumored TT V6 will bring.

·
Registered
711 Posts
^Lets hope they are built with decent internals

·
Super Moderator
13,001 Posts
If they're built like the DCT in the Veloster Turbo, more of the same just more expensive and complicated, I wouldn't say the VT's DCT is the worst I've driven but it's pretty close. Hyundai seriously needs to get into bed with VW if they want some of that DCT love, apparently they're working on a DCT that you row through an H pattern rather than tap back and forth, leave it in neutral and push a button and it acts like an auto. Much more natural manumatic imo.

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
3,086 Posts
If they're built like the DCT in the Veloster Turbo, more of the same just more expensive and complicated, I wouldn't say the VT's DCT is the worst I've driven but it's pretty close. Hyundai seriously needs to get into bed with VW if they want some of that DCT love, apparently they're working on a DCT that you row through an H pattern rather than tap back and forth, leave it in neutral and push a button and it acts like an auto. Much more natural manumatic imo.
Hmm, interesting. I've never driven the VT DCT so I can't comment, but given DCTs are the norm (at least as an option) in pretty much all sports cars $70k+ that means they will become increasingly desirable in all sporty applications and have already started to (WV, Evo, etc), if Hyundai plans to remain serious about being in the sports coupe market they'll need to develop a decent one eventually.

·
I drive a V6
4,978 Posts
Ummm, the DCT isnt available in the veloster turbo, its a regular automatic

Manual or auto... thats all the veloster turbo gets

DCT is only in the base veloster

DCT's are great, id certainly opt for one if it was done well

·
Super Moderator
13,001 Posts
right! sorry, my bad. I drove the manual VT and the DCT regular Veloster. I felt kind bad driving the Veloster and thinking "wish my box felt like that".

·
Registered
711 Posts
The carbon lined synchros are manufactured in a 500 piece minimum batch for each different part. We can send OEM synchros to be relined as a sample for testing but the production is done with new synchros that are made to fit the carbon lining. Tooling runs about $2500 for each different part and the new carbon lined synchros will be about $25 each. I will need a sample to get an accurate quote if you are interested. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions.
Email from SynchroTech

1 - 20 of 27 Posts