Votes: 151 30.6%
  • No

Votes: 342 69.4%

• Total voters
421 - 440 of 4874 Posts

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Hyundai's V8 is not little, nor light, nor particularly responsive. It would absolutely murder weight distribution. The cost of the car would be nuts. And it would be one of the dumbest marketing investments of all time.

Ford Mustang OWNS that segment, and has owned it for decades. Even Camaro can only hope to buy into a fraction of that market share. It would be alot of investment for little or no gain, and it would be inconsitent with Hyundai's continual move to drive up sophistication of the brand, not brash muscle car prowess (which Hyundai has NEVER had and likely never will).

Trying to bite into that market share is just flat DUMB. Trying to bite into the 350z/370z market share, certainly punching above your weight - but it's doable at least from a brand image growth aspect. Obviously you're not going to sell as many BKs as 370z's. HOWEVER, you WILL permanently alter the consumer's understanding and impression of Hyundai as a brand BECAUSE of a car like the BK, and THAT is why the car is around.
+1

Quarter you're another one who understands this car very well. If the Gencoupe was to be a muscle car I wouldn't have cared for this car because I never liked muscle cars mainly because of there boxy 20th century type styling. As soon as I saw the concept GC I knew who Hyundai was aiming for and It's sad that a lot of people can't see it like me and you.

·
BK: Have it your way.
380 Posts
I think you hit all the major points as to why a V8 GC is better in concept than production, QM. Hyundai plays their marketing strategy very conservatively because it keeps their sales figures consistently on the rise. And that is the bottom line.

The GC is a direct competitor with the 370Z and G37, it would be overkill to add an expensive V8 variant. Import sports car buyers prefer lighterweight, agile performers, whereas american muscle car buyers care about nothing more than boxy looks and straight line muscle. Hyundai is very savvy when it comes to their buyer's interests. They know what the people want and know how to make a well-rounded middle-of-the-road vehicle to please the majority.

·
Banned
7,214 Posts
No, the BK is not a direct competitor to the 370z, it flat can't compete out of the box in performance.

HOWEVER. It is a "think-twice-cross-shop-me!" car for the potential 370z buyer because you can have your cake and eat it too, in theory, as far as the marketing goes. Think about it. The 370z has no back seat whatsoever; it's got toys specifically targeted at those looking for social status on the road. It's the "buy the cool and wrap yourself up in it" car, you can jump in it and at least look like you're a hot driver. Alot like the Gallardo when it first came out, the computer blipped the throttle for you; you could stick grandma in there and she'd turn heads cuz enthusiasts would think she was actually rev-matching.

The BK's sell against the 370z isnt a head-to-head, it's a practicality, warranty, accomodations and VALUE argument. You get a back seat for children/bags, you get a little more room, you get brembos so you look hip, a nice exhaust note, 300+ horsepowere to brag about, killer styling - all for a killer price WITH a responsible dad-in-jeans-at-the-PTA-meeting 10 year warranty on a car he can fill with 87 octane if he wants to.

That's how Hyundai sells, that's why they knock out the competition in so many categories. That's why the BK is a tuner special, because it's not a balls-out factory rocket, it's a serviceable platform with some distinctly sports-specific design features on both the six and turbo.

·
BK: Have it your way.
380 Posts
As I said, mainstream appeal, bang for your buck engineering.

My mistake. It's more competitive with the new Mustang V6 over anything else japanese, especially on the resale value front.

·
Burger King Dildo Hammer
2,189 Posts

·
Burger King Dildo Hammer
2,189 Posts
quick question do you guys think i should wait till the 2012 gen coupe comes out or just get the 2011
Depends on how long you can, or want to wait. Myself, I'd wait to see if they are going to put the Sonata 2011 Turbo into the 2012 GC.

·
Banned
534 Posts
Hyundai's V8 is not little, nor light, nor particularly responsive. It would absolutely murder weight distribution. The cost of the car would be nuts. And it would be one of the dumbest marketing investments of all time.

Ford Mustang OWNS that segment, and has owned it for decades. Even Camaro can only hope to buy into a fraction of that market share. It would be alot of investment for little or no gain, and it would be inconsitent with Hyundai's continual move to drive up sophistication of the brand, not brash muscle car prowess (which Hyundai has NEVER had and likely never will).

Trying to bite into that market share is just flat DUMB. Trying to bite into the 350z/370z market share, certainly punching above your weight - but it's doable at least from a brand image growth aspect. Obviously you're not going to sell as many BKs as 370z's. HOWEVER, you WILL permanently alter the consumer's understanding and impression of Hyundai as a brand BECAUSE of a car like the BK, and THAT is why the car is around.
Ford Mustang owns that segment because it sells more, massive produced crap...it will be easily beaten by a Hyundai powered Twin turbo V6 Spirra EX, easily.

·
Banned
534 Posts
Also people cry that Hyundai is never gonna bring a V8 into the Genesis coupe...never say never. 5 years ago who would think they almost beat the "legendary" 50 freaking years old Mustang????

·
Banned
7,214 Posts
Ford Mustang owns that segment because it sells more, massive produced crap...it will be easily beaten by a Hyundai powered Twin turbo V6 Spirra EX, easily.

uh..... I'm sorry dude, you are REALLY out in left field. In fact, you have gotta be on drugs. Have you actually understood a single thing we've discussed here in terms of marketability of a platform...?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
The problem is that the gen lays between the Z and the G37 in price perfprmance and features.
WTF?
It certainly doesn't sit between the G37 and the 370Z in price.

The 3.8L Rspec is $26750 and the cheapest 370z is $30+ base.
If you want the sport package to get the brakes, wheels, and limited split to match the RSPEC you have to get the sport package which is $3000 more.
That is $3000 more then the 3.8L Track.

·
Registered
521 Posts
No but if you wait for the 2012 refresh you can wait one more year until the 2013 model comes out to get the new bluelink tech added in. At some point you have to ask yourself do you need want THIS car and then go for it. If not you can end up waiting forever as next year there will always be something newer and better coming out.

Now with that said if you are waiting until April anyways I would wait the couple of months more and see what the 2012 has to offer. Who knows by April we might know what the refresh is going to add to the car.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Good

I hope there are less GC's on the road then. The only car Hyundai needs to worry about is the Toyota FT-86 whenever that comes out, to match it. I would never look at a Mustang, or a Camaro / Challenger as I am under 50 yrs old. People are forced to compare the Genesis Coupe to that genre of cars because there is nothing else to compare to.

Hyundai already has the car and platform, just need to bring it in line x 10 with whatever Toyota throws out there.

Supra / 300ZX / RX-7 / 3000GT these are the only names I like to think of when I think of FT-86 / 370Z / RX-8 (slight cringe) or Genesis Coupe. If Hyundai goes as far as putting a V8 in this car, I will sell my car and buy something else as it will absolutely disgust me.
When is that coming out ive heard rumors about it Toyota FT-86 : D

·
Burger King Dildo Hammer
2,189 Posts
i have to wait till april but do you think it worth waiting longer
If you can keep your pants on, then I'd say wait a few months just to see what changes may come with the 2012.

No but if you wait for the 2012 refresh you can wait one more year until the 2013 model comes out to get the new bluelink tech added in. At some point you have to ask yourself do you need want THIS car and then go for it. If not you can end up waiting forever as next year there will always be something newer and better coming out.

Now with that said if you are waiting until April anyways I would wait the couple of months more and see what the 2012 has to offer. Who knows by April we might know what the refresh is going to add to the car.
What Hargert said!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just finally figured out exactly which model GC I wanted now all this 2012 talk is making me think I should hold off. When do you guys think it will show up on lots? Huge price increase?

·
Burger King Dildo Hammer
2,189 Posts
I just finally figured out exactly which model GC I wanted now all this 2012 talk is making me think I should hold off. When do you guys think it will show up on lots? Huge price increase?
I would suspect, as someone mentioned earlier, probably July/August. I couldn't see a huge price increase possibly a couple thousand more, but not that much more.

421 - 440 of 4874 Posts