Hyundai Genesis Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to adjust my headlights so I can see where the hell I'm going when driving highway speeds at night. My Hyundai dealer looks at me like I'm nuts when I complain about this.

The driver's side headlight points notably lower than the passenger side and they both point way to low.

Are they adjustable or can I replace something to get them to point higher?

Thanks.

·
Registered
146 Posts
lower just the back ahah! in all seriousness though, your best bet it to get hyundai to fix it! Different states have different heights allowed for how they get pointed. if you open the hood and look at your lights, theyll have screws! the height gets adjusted with these!

If your doing it yourself youll have to park your car on level ground, facing a wall! you can take the measurements from the wall and adjust accordingly!

as an fyi, my car, and my buddies gen both drivers are lower, but not to the point that i cant see properly. all things considered that these are low beams and not high!

·
Resident Critic
841 Posts
Check the sensor attached to the rear suspension and check if it's seized. If not, take it to the dealer and have it fixed properly.

·
War Eagle!
705 Posts
I took mine to the dealer shortly after getting it for the same problem. They checked out the angle and told me that the lights are adjusted that way on purpose from the factory, and they wouldn't touch them. You'll probably have to adjust them yourself if you want them higher. I need to but I haven't gotten around to it. You're right though, they are way too low for driving at highway speeds at night.

·
@CausingChaos
67 Posts
There is a plastic white bolt behind the headlight. This is what you need to adjust the headlights. I forget the size, I think it was 8mm socket that worked for me.

·
It is not red. Not red..
5,706 Posts
^Pretty sure you're right about 8mm.

I spent a couple weeks getting mine exactly where I wanted them (It was raining a lot, and I pissed a lot of people off. lol)

But yes, the drivers side is supposed to be lower so you don't blind oncoming traffic,
the passenger side can be higher because it only shines in peoples mirrors, not their faces.
:dunno:

My advice is to find a nice flat wall, and some blue painters tape.
Unbolt both headlights and remove one at a time, marking the horizontal center and vertical cutoff lines of each, then adjust accordingly.

You can also adjust the centering Left to Right, using the large bolt on the far outside corner of the headlight.
(Headlight must be removed to adjust this, can be time consuming to perfect)

Theoretically they should be the same height on the wall as they are on the car (from 50ft in my state)
but that was way too low IMO, so mine are higher than legal.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You guys that have adjusted them, do any of you have Track models?

I looked for the adjustment screw before going in w/ the problem and they confirmed what I thought, that the Track is not adjustable as it has a little servo motor that moves them up and down.

Is the leel sensor in the rear adjustable? Maybe I can just make the sensor think the car is running higher in the rear so it will raise them automatically?

·
Premium Member
76,154 Posts
I have the track and adjusted them, I don't remember exactly how but if you do a search there are a couple threads about it.

·
It is not red. Not red..
5,706 Posts
I have a track.
Therefor my advice was perfect because I did it every other day or so for a few weeks. lol
I wanna say it was 12mm for L R but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Readjusting headlights seems to be common after installing coilovers. I had to readjust mine after putting on my Stance coils. I was able to use a screwdriver following someones post on here. It was very easy. A little goes a long way, so be carefull or you will be blinding everyone. I was shining light into trees when I first adjusted mine. haha!

·
War Eagle!
705 Posts
^ so they would be shining about as high as all the jacked up trucks with their 10,000,000,000k HID's around here ;)

·
It is not red. Not red..
5,706 Posts
^Basically.
Mine were that way too after my first adjustment, looked good on my garage but as soon as I hit the dark highway I realized my mistake. lol

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Yeah. When you see your lights are hitting highway signs and over passes, thats not a good sign.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks. Done!

The 2011 doesn't have the screwdriver hole but it can be adjusted w/ an 8mm in the back.

The mechanics at Southpoint Hyundai are unaware that this is adjustable which is a shame.

·
@CausingChaos
67 Posts
It's hard as hell getting a stubby screwdriver back there anyway without taking out the whole assembly.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I adjusted my 2011 with a screwdriver. Once you see how its done, its pretty simple. Your screwdriver has to be a little long, not to big, but I doubt a stubby one would work.

·
Former GTO hater/ owner
603 Posts
I used an 8mm socket also.

And I used it on the white hex screw here.

The motor assy only adjusts beyond the static setting when the rear suspension is compressed. The white hex head sets the static setting;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts